Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 06:08 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,717 times

Advertisements

There are many distinct accents in Blacks throughout the US. Here are the main one's I can distinguish.

-Seattle: Least stereotypical "Black" sounding
-California: Diluted Southern with rhoticy
-NYC/Jersey: A bit similar to White NYC accent
-Philly:
-Baltimore: distinct from Southern and Northern accents
-DC:
-Midwestern:
-Chicago: Southernish sounding
-Southern: We call this accent "Country" out here on the West Coast.
- Miami:
- New Orleans:
-Charleston/Gullah: Caribbean Sounding

What about the rest of you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 07:11 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,449 times
A few examples of the black Philly accent

Parking Wars: Hoagie vs. Cheese Steak - YouTube

BLACK THOUGHT: BLOWHIPHOPTV.COM - YouTube

Old 09-23-2013, 07:39 PM

^ Sounds like the NYC accent with a bit of Southern. I think NYC Blacks are the only Blacks that don't have a Southern influence in thier accent.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
^ Sounds like the NYC accent with a bit of Southern. I think NYC Blacks are the only Blacks that don't have a Southern influence in thier accent.
I would say that NYC black accents have a "bit" of southern influence to their accents considering they say words like "yall" however, it seems like only the northeastern black accents ( NYC, Philly, Jersey, Ct maybe Boston though I'm not too sure because I never been there) are the only black accents to have very little southern influence to their accents. This may apply to Pacific northwestern blacks too but I'm not too sure.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:27 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
I would say that NYC black accents have a "bit" of southern influence to their accents considering they say words like "yall" however, it seems like only the northeastern black accents ( NYC, Philly, Jersey, Ct maybe Boston though I'm not too sure because I never been there) are the only black accents to have very little southern influence to their accents. This may apply to Pacific northwestern blacks too but I'm not too sure.
Blacks in New York sound absolutely nothing like blacks in the south. New Orleans? Yes. Augusta, Georgia? Heck no.

Nas sounds nothing like Ludacris.

Same thing with Chicago. Most sound like they have a bit of the northeast in their accents.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:46 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Blacks in New York sound absolutely nothing like blacks in the south. New Orleans? Yes. Augusta, Georgia? Heck no.

Same thing with Chicago. Most sound like they have a bit of the northeast in their accents.
Are you talking about the Chicago in Illinois? Because if so, that's wrong.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

I didn't say that NYC blacks sound southern because I know that they don't. I was responding to the claim that NYC blacks have no southern influence to their accents which is wrong because NYC blacks say "yall" which obviously originates from the south. Most Chicago blacks sound very southern so I strongly disagree with you. Chicago blacks sound completely different from blacks from NYC, Philly, Jersey and possibly Boston, which all don't sound southern at all.

Last edited by nephi215; 09-23-2013 at 09:52 PM..

Old 09-23-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
It applies to Pac NW Blacks too. Blacks in Seattle have neutral American accents with very slight Southern influences. Here's how they sound.

Hip-Hop Artists and community Rally for Jobs in Seattle - YouTube

Old 09-23-2013, 09:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
The black accent in Chicago isn't merely "Southernish-sounding." It's straight-up old-school Mississippi, conspicuously non-rhotic in one of the most rhotic regions in the English-speaking world.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:57 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
I feel I should re-post this:
Curious City: WBEZ looks at the Chicago accent and African-American English | WBEZ 91.5 Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.