Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 04:23 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,317,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Not the point. He said there is a difference between Blacks in Philly and Blacks in Pittsburgh and they're in the same state and that is very much the truth for Blacks in Houston and Blacks in Dallas in Texas. Blacks in Dallas sound similar to Arkansas/Northern Louisiana/Memphis/Northern Mississippi with a slight hint of St. Louis in there. Houston has their own unique sound that's not quite like the rest of the state.
But to someone from the north they both sound similiar. No matter where you come from there is a noticeable difference between Pittsburgh and Philly accents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 04:34 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
But to someone from the north they both sound similiar. No matter where you come from there is a noticeable difference between Pittsburgh and Philly accents
Well that's not a surprise as people from other places have a monolithic impression of other places not of their own. I rarely hear the Pittsburgh accent tbh. All I said is that the Black accent and dialect is different within Texas.
I remember a group of Houstonians thought a group of Dallasites were from St. Louis and not Texas at a party I went to years ago.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well that's not a surprise as people from other places have a monolithic impression of other places not of their own. I rarely hear the Pittsburgh accent tbh. All I said is that the Black accent and dialect is different within Texas.

I believe you, but I bet that anyone here can tell the difference between Pittsburgh and Philly accents. The werid thing about that is that the middle of the state (state college) is somewhat a mixture of the two

Old 09-30-2013, 04:44 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,412 times
The only place where blacks sound different in NYC and the deep south. Outside of that, all blacks talk exactly the same. Blacks on the West Coast sound just like blacks in the midwest. From Oakland to Chicago, blacks sound pretty much exactly the same.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:49 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
The only place where blacks sound different in NYC and the deep south. Outside of that, all blacks talk exactly the same. Blacks on the West Coast sound just like blacks in the midwest. From Oakland to Chicago, blacks sound pretty much exactly the same.
I disagree with this. A lot of Blacks in the Midwest sound strongly Southern and non-rhotic compared to Blacks on the West Coast. I know alot of Blacks from Milwaukee and Chicago that sound straight out of Mississippi, which isn't that common out here in So Cal in the younger generations. The typical Black person from the Midwest would sound "Country" to the typical Black person out here.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Whoa. No way. I have family in both and they do not sound the same at all.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I disagree with this. A lot of Blacks in the Midwest sound strongly Southern and non-rhotic compared to Blacks on the West Coast. I know alot of Blacks from Milwaukee and Chicago that sound straight out of Mississippi, which isn't that common out here in So Cal in the younger generations. The typical Black person from the Midwest would sound "Country" to the typical Black person out here.

I've lived in all 4 regions. They all sound the same. Black midwesterners don't sound any more country than black West coasters. You're just making stuff up.

The real differences are slang, but much of the midwest slang is heavily derived from the West Coast. Only the south and northeast really have their own type of slang.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:14 PM

Chicago has it's own accent, as does St. Louis. There are plenty of other midwestern cities with large black populations, and they talk nothing like St. Louis or Chicago. So I don't think that's an adequate sample.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:30 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,725 times
Quote:
I've lived in all 4 regions. They all sound the same. Black midwesterners don't sound any more country than black West coasters. You're just making stuff up.
I don't have to pay much attention to hear a significant difference the way Blacks on the West Coast sound compared to Blacks in the Midwest. The largest differences are the rhoticy and Blacks on the West Coast tend to sound flatter compared to Midwestern Blacks

If I hear someone speaking like Chingy(from St Louis) out here. I would think he's "Country". The way he says There like Thurr is very "Country"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk31yYVZbog

Old 09-30-2013, 05:33 PM

From my experience, Blacks in the Bay Area sound more neutral or what people would say, proper, than Midwestern Blacks. I don't hear much similarity between Blacks in the Bay Area and Blacks in Chicago. SoCal to extent, yeah. But not the Bay. And Milwaukee? Nothing like the Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.