Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region do you prefer?
The Midwest 82 58.57%
The South 58 41.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 AM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times

Advertisements

First thing, boosters may show up but there is no clear winner or be all and end all as both regions have strengths and weaknesses. This thread discussion and poll is based only on preference so lets keep it civil. Lets compare the South (VA/NC/SC/KY/TN/GA/FL/AL/MS/LA/TX/AR with a little OK and WV mixed in)
and the Midwest (OH/IN/IL/MI/WI/MN/IA/MO/ND/SD/NE/KS and a little OK mixed in).

Here is some criteria.....

-Best cities and urban areas
-Best small towns and rural areas
-Best outdoor recreation and geographical features
-Culture/Diversity/Festivals
-Friendliness
-a discussion on people, live and let live elements, originality, characteristics etc..
-Food
-The arts (music, museum endowments, artist colonies, creativity)

.....and anything else you can think of that I missed. If in one category you feel its impossible to sum it all up into one region (likely) discuss overall the region you would lean more towards and elaborate on why or if it's a neutral draw (especially in terms of people) and chime in on what you appreciate about both regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 12:16 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,048 times
Cities: The Midwest, mainly because of Chicago. The rest of the Midwest and the South are pretty even when it comes to cities.

Small Towns and Rural Area: The Midwest. Small towns and rural areas in the South are bit more backwards than those in the Midwest.

Outdoor Recreation and Geographical Features. The South. The Atlantic and Gulf and the Great Lakes more or less cancel each other out, but the South has much prettier mountainous regions and more warm months to enjoy the weather.

Culture: The Midwest. Cities in the Midwest are generally older, and thus, have longer traditions, older institutions, and more developed art/cultural scenes.

Diversity: The South. Chicago is really the only hyper-diverse place in the Midwest. The South has Miami, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta which are all extremely diverse. Other Southern cities are becoming more diverse at a quicker rate as well, due to receiving more immigrants than most Midwestern cities. outside of metropolitan areas, both regions have very little diversity.

Festivals: The Midwest. In my experience, festivals occur nowhere near as often as they do in the Midwest. There also seems to be a much larger variety of festivals in the Midwest in cities and towns of every size.

Friendliness: Tie. They're both pretty friendly. Southerners are more forwardly friendly, hospital, and polite, but I've found Midwesterners to be more helpful.

Food: The South, due to the local cuisines. I'd give the Midwest a bit of an edge though when it comes to ethnic food and contemporary food in big cities.

The Arts: Tie, oth regions have creative hubs. The Midwest has Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Madison, Columbus, St. Louis, Ann Arbor...The South has Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Austin, Nashville, Savannah, Memphis...

Old 09-03-2013, 03:42 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
The Arts: Tie, oth regions have creative hubs. The Midwest has Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Madison, Columbus, St. Louis, Ann Arbor...The South has Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Austin, Nashville, Savannah, Memphis...
Very objective, open minded, and well rounded post. Only thing I'd expand on is where are the smaller cities and towns in the South and Midwest that harbor a lot of arts, creativity, and culture as most big cities in any region have a lot already. I'll let somebody from either region speak to that though.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 PM

5,000 posts, read 9,146,069 times
The south has more older cities and out side of Chicago and St.Louis maybe the south has more culture and festivals.The Gulf Coast has a different culture by it self.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:19 PM

542 posts, read 1,682,658 times
I think population growth supports the fact that people are moving South in droves. They're moving out of the MidWest

Old 09-03-2013, 08:35 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,693 times
Cities: The South. Chicago is the best city out of both regions (IMHO), but the South has more to offer. Atlanta has white-hot growth, Miami has its famous beaches, Charleston has its famous Southern charm, New Orleans is well, New Orleans, San Antonio is Tex-Mex at its finest, and Nashville has its music. The general vibe about Midwestern cities is, aside from Chi-town, you've seen one, you've seen them all.

Small towns/rural areas: The South. The rural areas are more scenic, no comparison. Trees, mountains, pastures, you get a little bit of everything. The Midwest rural areas are mostly farmland. And Southern small towns tend to have a bit more history (for good and bad) to them as well.

Culture: The South, if only because it's so unique and instantly recognizable. Midwestern culture isn't exactly unique - for example, if you go to Washington and Oregon you can definitely tell there's some Midwestern influence there.

Diversity: The South, if only due to the substantially higher African-American population. The Midwest is rapidly becoming a bastion for Latino immigrants, especially in small and medium-sized communities.

Festivals: The Midwest, by far. States like Iowa and Minnesota take great pride in their state fairs, and even some county fairs put other states' fairs to shame.

Friendliness: The South. I think the friendly Midwesterners are more friendly than Southerners, but the Midwest also has way more jerks.

Food - The South. Three letters. BBQ.

The Arts - the Midwest. Of course Chicago is famous for its art, but Minneapolis, Cincinnati and Detroit have world-class art museums.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:28 PM

993 posts, read 1,766,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
First thing, boosters may show up but there is no clear winner or be all and end all as both regions have strengths and weaknesses. This thread discussion and poll is based only on preference so lets keep it civil. Lets compare the South (VA/NC/SC/KY/TN/GA/FL/AL/MS/LA/TX/AR with a little OK and WV mixed in)
and the Midwest (OH/IN/IL/MI/WI/MN/IA/MO/ND/SD/NE/KS and a little OK mixed in).

Here is some criteria.....

-Best cities and urban areas
-Best small towns and rural areas
-Best outdoor recreation and geographical features
-Culture/Diversity/Festivals
-Friendliness
-a discussion on people, live and let live elements, originality, characteristics etc..
-Food
-The arts (music, museum endowments, artist colonies, creativity)

.....and anything else you can think of that I missed. If in one category you feel its impossible to sum it all up into one region (likely) discuss overall the region you would lean more towards and elaborate on why or if it's a neutral draw (especially in terms of people) and chime in on what you appreciate about both regions.
Cities: I'm probably going to go with the South on this one. The Midwest does have plenty of nice ones and I really do love living in the Twin Cities, but the South just has more options that are growing fast! Then again, the South doesn't have anything like Chicago, but I'm still going to give it the edge.

Small towns/rural: Can't speak much besides on stereotypes, so I won't

Outdoor Rec/Scenery: Probably the South. Not by a lot. I like the mountains.

Diversity: The South.

Festivals: The Midwest! I'm already waiting for the fair next year!

Friendliness/people: People in the South are generally more friendly and outgoing when making friends, but people in the Midwest (and I may have a warped view from being mainly around MN, SD, and IA) are more polite and reserved rather than friendly if that makes sense (just in my experience). Way too many people fail to understand that. Southerners also seem to have a "loud and proud" kind of attitude, where Midwesterners are taught not to brag or talk yourself up because it's rude. I can't speak too much for the more Eastern part of the Midwest on those traits though. One last thing, the Midwest tends to be more liberal in areas than the South. You can decide for yourself whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Food: Really not my area of expertise I just eat at chains

Arts: Probably the Midwest

Old 09-03-2013, 10:36 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Very objective, open minded, and well rounded post. Only thing I'd expand on is where are the smaller cities and towns in the South and Midwest that harbor a lot of arts, creativity, and culture as most big cities in any region have a lot already. I'll let somebody from either region speak to that though.
The south:
New Orleans
Baton Rouge
Lafayette
Little Rock
Natchez
Mobile
Huntsville
Savannah
Charleston
St Augustine
Rome
Chattanooga
Asheville

More on the culture aspect of things ^

Old 09-03-2013, 10:44 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,470 times
The South.

More original than any other region in the United States.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:36 AM

45 posts, read 96,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
The South.

More original than any other region in the United States.
No, no, no.

That distinction, my friend, belongs to New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.