Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:55 PM

91 posts, read 196,121 times

Advertisements

This is a peculiar query.
Whenever I watched old 70s and 80s Hollywood films I loved the grainy, sunny look they had. In my mind I associated them with certain cities....San Franciso and Los Angeles. There is a film called To live and die in LA(1985, William Friedkin) which is drenched in sun and yellow. I LOVE THAT.

I spent two years in Ottawa and actually became depressed many times. Despite having friends, social life and money sometimes I'd just feel low. I went to the doctor and realized that these is a diagnosis called Season affecting disorder, which means for some people the weather subconsciously effects their mood. I know what I love....sunny afternoons. My favorite time of the day is 1-3 pm in the afternoon. Of course occasionally I yearn for snow(when I watch die hard) and I love the first showers, but then the rain becomes a pain.

So I was wondering.....which cities are the sunniest in Canada or the United States?
I choose the Pacifica ridge: Vancouver/Seattle/Portland/San Franciso/Los Angeles.
But as it turns out Vancouver has most days of the year when it showers like crazy.

So is my guess correct...Are LA and San Fran ideal for folks who love basking in the sun? Where the majority of the year I don't have to bother about rain or snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 11:21 PM

454 posts, read 793,621 times
San Diego CA has LOTS of sunny days... September through November is usually bright blue sky weather. (here in San Diego the rainy season is Dec through April) I would, too, probably see Hawaii, Arizona and New Mexico having lots of sunshine...

of course it rains in every state/city to varying degrees, probably the most in Florida, Washington & Oregon.

Los Angeles is sunny a lot, but have the smog to deal with. SanFrancisco is a gorgeous city, but has a lot of fog and marine layer

Old 08-11-2013, 11:51 PM

97 posts, read 160,143 times
Definitely southern California. I'm not too sure about San Fran but I heard they get a fog... you don't get that problem in LA (or very rarely)! Anywhere north of San Fran stay away: rain, rain, and more rain.

If being on the ocean is not that important, head six hours east of LA and you have Phoenix, where you get 360 days of sun out of the year! Our houses and lifestyle is pretty much the same as southern Cali, and Phoenix is the 5th largest metro in the US. It is also much more affordable to live here, in terms of housing, gas prices, taxes, etc.

Phoenix gets snow once every twenty years lol. Last winter it snowed here. Before that, I believe it was 1980? Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, three hour drive north and you are in forest that gets snow in the winter and you can go snowboard and what not. There is not really any other place in America that can get such different climates in a day's drive.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:00 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Sunniest cities in the country, according to the site below, are Phoenix, Las Vegas (which was my first thought), Sacramento (which I never would have thought of), LA, and Miami. San Diego and San Francicso come in at Nos. 8 and 10, respectively.

Sunniest US Cities - Current Results

Of course Cali has the sunshine, but earthquakes, Miami has sunshine, but hurricanes, and Phoenix has sunshine, but wildfires.

Sure you want to move?

Old 08-12-2013, 08:44 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Sunniest cities in the country, according to the site below, are Phoenix, Las Vegas (which was my first thought), Sacramento (which I never would have thought of), LA, and Miami. San Diego and San Francicso come in at Nos. 8 and 10, respectively.

Sunniest US Cities - Current Results

Of course Cali has the sunshine, but earthquakes, Miami has sunshine, but hurricanes, and Phoenix has sunshine, but wildfires.

Sure you want to move?
I'd worry less about hurricanes in Miami which is becoming a tired stereotype of Florida in general. The state was last affected significantly in 2005. I'd worry more about them in NY and NJ given recent climate history.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:58 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'd worry less about hurricanes in Miami which is becoming a tired stereotype of Florida in general. The state was last affected significantly in 2005. I'd worry more about them in NY and NJ given recent climate history.

You are either very defensive about Florida or plain out of touch with reality. Since 2000 there have been at least 55 major storms in Florida (granted, not all in Miami) and only 19 in New York, virtually all of which were just remnants of hurricanes. (Stats are from Wiki). Hurricanes are not a once-a-month occurence, but worrying about hurricanes in Florida is prudent and neither cliched or stereotypcial. Andif you don't beleive me, ask your insurance company.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:14 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Diego...

Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You are either very defensive about Florida or plain out of touch with reality. Since 2000 there have been at least 55 major storms in Florida (granted, not all in Miami) and only 19 in New York, virtually all of which were just remnants of hurricanes. (Stats are from Wiki). Hurricanes are not a once-a-month occurence, but worrying about hurricanes in Florida is prudent and neither cliched or stereotypcial. Andif you don't beleive me, ask your insurance company.
I'm not defensive or out of touch with reality as you clearly are, since there's been no significant damage in FL since 2005 and NY/NJ have had consecutive hurricane landfall "remnants" with NYC having 18 billion dollars in damage from Hurricane Sandy alone. The point is anyone living in or moving to NYC or coastal NJ should be as concerned about damage from hurricanes as someone living in Florida given recent weather patterns.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:46 AM

211 posts, read 519,306 times
Vancouver/Seattle/Portland are actually one of the most humid cities of the west coast. Phoenix, Tuscon, Palm Desert/Palm Springs, and LA are typically sunny.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:51 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
LA seem to be sunny all the time. And Florida of course, but Florida gets so much rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.