Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:57 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times

Advertisements

Are there any disadvantages or advantages for an area (CSA or MSA) that has multiple hub cities instead of just 1 true hub? Or does it not matter at all?

i.e.

Raleigh - Durham
Winston-Salem - Greensboro - High Point
Hampton Roads (Norfolk - Newport News - Hampton - VA Beach - Portsmouth , etc.)

In comparison to similar sized MSAs/CSAs with 1 hub city, would it necessarily allow for more amenities since these areas have multiple true cities instead of just 1 and a bunch of suburbs???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 10:31 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
I love the idea of being able to be in different cities with their own identities but I don't feel it's good for economics and trying to gain sports teams and such. In the end I would say it depends on the politics and demographics of each city.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:52 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Having multiple cities/core is interesting, but I feel each take away from what could be an even bigger & better core city.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:26 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
^The presence of Oakland doesn't exactly take away from the stature of San Francisco. Same story for Ft. Worth, St. Paul, St. Petersburg, etc.
Now once you get up to like five or six core cities like Hampton Roads or Rhein-Ruhr in Germany, it starts to lose some focus. Düsseldorf is part of a metro area of 11 million people, but it doesn't really feel like it.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:53 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
I agree with Steel. The presence of other major cities boosts the stature of some cities more than it hurts thrm. THe bay area wouldn't have that many sports teams if it was one major city.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:42 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
In comparison to similar sized MSAs/CSAs with 1 hub city, would it necessarily allow for more amenities since these areas have multiple true cities instead of just 1 and a bunch of suburbs???
I live in Maryland just north of Washington, D.C. I will say that I enjoy that downtown Baltimore is also only 30 minutes by car from where I am. So yeah, that means even more sports teams, concert venues, restaurants, shopping places, waterfronts, attractions, etc. nearby. Plus, Baltimore has a nice skyline.

It feels like you get 2 cities for the price of one. :-)

Old 07-29-2013, 09:12 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I live in Maryland just north of Washington, D.C. I will say that I enjoy that downtown Baltimore is also only 30 minutes by car from where I am. So yeah, that means even more sports teams, concert venues, restaurants, shopping places, waterfronts, attractions, etc. nearby. Plus, Baltimore has a nice skyline.

It feels like you get 2 cities for the price of one. :-)
I feel that DC and Baltimore are still two distinct cores, just within close proximity of each other. Of course they are growing closer and closer together by the day, but the dynamic at present is still different than the Bay Area, the Metroplex, etc.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:21 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
I don't think it's going to stay that way for long, though. Baltimore and DC are only about as far apart as Dallas and Ft. Worth (and closer than San Francisco and San Jose), and Washington is a super super desirable area that's growing really fast. Plus they already have way better transit infrastructure linking the two cities than the Metroplex. That's probably the urban area I'm most excited to watch over the next couple decades. It's set to surpass Chicago CSA before 2020. It's going to be such a phenomenal powerhouse - even more than it already is - in a couple years.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:23 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I don't think it's going to stay that way for long, though. Baltimore and DC are only about as far apart as Dallas and Ft. Worth (and closer than San Francisco and San Jose), and Washington is a super super desirable area that's growing really fast. Plus they already have way better transit infrastructure linking the two cities than the Metroplex. That's probably the urban area I'm most excited to watch over the next couple decades. It's set to surpass Chicago CSA before 2020. It's going to be such a phenomenal powerhouse - even more than it already is - in a couple years.
Oh it's definitely not going to stay that way. It will be interesting to see how/when it turns into an MSA with two primary centers.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:35 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
^The presence of Oakland doesn't exactly take away from the stature of San Francisco. Same story for Ft. Worth, St. Paul, St. Petersburg, etc.
Now once you get up to like five or six core cities like Hampton Roads or Rhein-Ruhr in Germany, it starts to lose some focus. Düsseldorf is part of a metro area of 11 million people, but it doesn't really feel like it.
I was thinking more of the smaller metros where there is no real dominant city. Like the Research Triangle for example. In the Bay Area, SF is clearly the dominant city and it seems to take away from the other two large cities in the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.