Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:38 AM

895 posts, read 1,703,284 times

Advertisements

I understand that the hipster "epidemic" has been occurring across the us over the past decade or so. The purpose of this thread is not to deny or promote that claim but rather to question the degree of this so called "epidemic." I am curious about this because while others bemoan about how hipsters are infesting their neighborhood and causing gentrification, others (myself included) very very rarely encounter these types of people.
I am eighteen years old and currently live in south Florida, and, like I said, I barely run into anyone that doesn't fit into generic south florida stereotypes, especially in my age group. I would venture to guess that people from other areas have had a similar experience with their demographic, even in major metro areas. While people talk about hipsters being prevelant in New York, I must say that through my limited experience of traveling to the city and attending music venues, I have seen a few hipsters but also a fair amount of bros, preppy girls, etc. I was wondering what the local perspective was on this topic because I obviously cannot speak for the area. Furthermore, my theory is that the hipsters that do exist are very clear about their preference and have a very distinct style, which makes their presence seem more prevelant. I think the actual ratio of hipsters to other types of people is low, but the people who do identify as hipsters tend to draw attention to themselves. What are your thoughts and opinions on this issue? Also, an interesting question would be how the hipster factor in the us compares to other continents such Europe, South America, etc.

Last edited by Rcsligar; 04-30-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 09:42 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,811,724 times
It is not healthy to hate people just because they are different than you.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:43 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
There is no hipster epidemic. I think that's just the go-to word for any young urbanite that is different yet somehow threatening to the people making the claim.

I think a lot of young people are just living their lives as inexpensively, comfortably and exciting as they can while not feeding or even avoiding "the system". At least that's what I'm doing.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:43 AM

176 posts, read 348,798 times
I don't see many hipster types being attracted to southern Florida. in my experience they tend to stick to more northern cities than southern. I suppose that goes along with northern cities being more liberal in general as well.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 AM

895 posts, read 1,703,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
It is not healthy to hate people just because they are different than you.
Are you accusing me of this?

Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,811,724 times
The term epidemic has a strongly negative connotation. It is usually reserved for diseases and social ills.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:26 AM

542 posts, read 1,683,464 times
I shall not belittle hipsters because of their culture. I am neither pro-hipster or anti-hipster. But what I can say is that in NYC, they are moving into recently gentrified areas of the city and sending the rent prices skyrocketing. People in those neighborhoods do not look kindly upon the influx of hipsters in their communities.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:39 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
They are total Douchebags with limited creativity and abilities.
The 21 Types Of Hipster You Encounter In London (and the problem isn't just in London)

Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
I shall not belittle hipsters because of their culture. I am neither pro-hipster or anti-hipster. But what I can say is that in NYC, they are moving into recently gentrified areas of the city and sending the rent prices skyrocketing. People in those neighborhoods do not look kindly upon the influx of hipsters in their communities.
Ah, the "trust fund hipsters"- the johnny come lately-the absolute worst kind IMO. They want the artistic/entrepreneurial/free spirit image yet secretly mommy and daddy are taking care of everything by paying rent prices that are sky high, causing wide swings in overall housing costs/taxes and driving hard working people out of their own neighborhoods.

Real hipsters transform their neglected communities for the better and don't just "gentrify" them indirectly by paying exorbitant rent, frequenting specialty cupcakeries and latte-eries and attracting others that will do the same.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
No one is a hipster. Hipsters don't exist. Hipsters are a slander word used against people you don't know.

I'm 33 now, and an uncool dad of a 3-year old. I think I was always too dorky to pass for a hipster, but I've definitely listened to bands which are slapped with that label, gone to bars which are called "hipster bars," and had friends who fit the demographic.

Of course, even these friends denied they were hipsters. They talked about other people, who dressed identically to them, as "****ing hipsters," and complained "why do hipsters always move to every neighborhood I think is cool." And "these goddamned hipsters ruin every bar I go to." I even had one friend once say to me "I used to think she was a stupid hipster, but now I know her, and she's really rad."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.