Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

There's a stereotype that people in the East, specifically the big cities of Philly, NYC, and to an extent Boston, are 'tough', 'no nonsense' and not afraid to be direct and speak their mind or confront someone if they're not happy about something. On the other hand, Westerners are seen as more diplomatic, passive-aggressive. While people are all different I'm sure there are SOME cultural reasons for this. Would you say Italian and Jewish culture is part of the reason for this? What about the Irish?

Have you found the way you relate to people in the East vs West coast is significantly different in this respect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
In a word, no. Being curt or abrasive isn't necessarily a sign of toughness. I don't think any particular region is any more "tough" than another. Each region has their "tough" stereotypes.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,082 times
I don't think so, people are people no matter where they are or where they come from. I think because New York, Philly and Boston were the primary cities before most of the western US was even settled probably has something to do with that as well. People moved west to escape the ratrace, perhaps that's what led to the reputation.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
In a word, no. Being curt or abrasive isn't necessarily a sign of toughness.
Exactly. It just means that person more rude and unpleasant. Who wants to hang around that? I dont

Old 03-06-2013, 07:06 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
having lived on both coasts: No.

But that doesn't mean the west coast is tougher.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:22 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Tough is relative but IMO between the direct communication, industrial presence/history, ethnic white and African-American influence, close living quarters and even the harsh weather, people from The East Coast are "tougher".

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 03-06-2013 at 07:37 AM..

Old 03-06-2013, 07:45 AM

644 posts, read 1,429,961 times
From my personal experience I do find that people from the East Coast are "tougher", which shouldn't have a bad connotation to it. Having lived in New York I can appreciate the no non-sense mentality. People express how they feel. It is very hard to get over on someone from NYC. Say what you mean and mean what you say may come across as "tougher" but its just a trait developed having to live in the biggest city in USA. When you have to deal with SO many different people day in and day out it just becomes apart of you. On the west coast you don't have that stress and hustle and bustle that the east coast cities (up north) offer. I think it is a good thing to posses.

Everyone so far has stated that it is a bad thing and can be rude....but I mean if someone is doing something wrong to you or whatever the case may be shouldn't you stand up for yourself?

Old 03-06-2013, 08:03 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
I've lived in the midwest, Texas and on the east coast. I would not say folks from the east coast are tougher, but I would say they are more engaged in what is going on around them and more open to debate than other places I've lived. People here are not afraid to hold different opinions and express them. That said, if one holds a different opinion, one should be prepared to articulate the basis for their opinion rather then just regurgitate mindless talking points. In the other two regions, it is more common to keep conversation light. In my experience, if someone felt you might have a different point of view from them, the polite thing was to seek a topic everyone could agree on.

In the (entirely likely) event others disagree, I have no beef with you. I am sharing my impressions from my personal experience.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 03-06-2013 at 08:12 AM..

Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Yes

Old 03-06-2013, 08:13 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Yes. I've spent time in both places. People who live in the northeast corridor are clearly more fast paced, harsh and impatient and money-driven ambitious. West coasters are more carefree and laid back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.