Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 10,402 times

Advertisements

Hey people, I'm new here, and had a couple of questions...
Anyways, to start, I'll introduce myself. The names Dennis, but y'all can call me Denn, i'm 16 years old, currently living in the Netherlands. Next year i'm going to study system administration, which is 1 day of school 4 days of work, so i'll be getting a little bit of money, and a bit of experience, which are both not important

So the question was, since i don't feel at home in this country, and have been crazy about the USA quite a while now; What is the best place to live in?
Well, this is a question that has many answers, but i'll make it more specific, because things i mainly search for are:
-not too much of a big city, about 32 000 people or so
-safe! so no naturall disasters and such
-near nature, lets say lots of trees, a lake etc.
-nice people
-no poverty, but i don't think that's a problem outside the big cities
-people that love their country, i have something against those rebels
-work in the IT sector available in a range of 40miles
-nice, sunny weather, but snow in winter if possible
I fell in love with this house that I saw a while ago, this is kind of what I look for:

I know i'm only 16, but i need something to look forward too, and a bit of information isn't harmfull, is it?
also, i'm not your average 16 year old that goes out every weekend, looking to score, getting high and drunk, that just aint my style. I much rather sit in nature, or play some computer games. I'm the peacefull type you could say.

thanks to y'all!

Last edited by dennis1991z; 10-23-2007 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 11:46 AM

101 posts, read 386,160 times
Default Don't rely on this forum

Save some money and travel the states for a year.

Stay out of the big cities.

You will find poverty in rural areas without a doubt
but the people will be friendlier.

Stay out of Texas........just kidding.

Good luck

Old 10-23-2007, 11:57 AM

I was actually more looking for suggestions and pherhaps some photo's...

Old 10-23-2007, 12:08 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
Dennis, as you have studied, the USA is a HUGE place and with 50 different states, it would take forever to cover every state.
Each state has it's plus and minuses....as does every city and town.

WLUTZ is correct....travel a bit....I've been here 45 years and haven't seen but maybe 1/3 of it.

You might want to go to each State's forum and ask specific questions.

Good Luck to you.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:21 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
how about a "college town"?

Old 10-23-2007, 12:32 PM

No, I'm going to College next year, and after that I want to move to the USA (first get some working experience here, ofcourse), and that's why I wondered if some of you could name some nice places/counties that are worth looking at...

Remember, for now I'm just looking, I'm not making no decisions yet.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:41 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1991z View Post
Hey people, I'm new here, and had a couple of questions...
Anyways, to start, I'll introduce myself. The names Dennis, but y'all can call me Denn, i'm 16 years old, currently living in the Netherlands. Next year i'm going to study system administration, which is 1 day of school 4 days of work, so i'll be getting a little bit of money, and a bit of experience, which are both not important
Raleigh, NC. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:55 PM

469 posts, read 2,736,342 times
From a practical standpoint, you're going to find it hard to move here. It's difficult to obtain a work visa unless you're sponsored by a company, and there's a long waiting list for such visas. Your best bet, if you truly want to immigrate to the USA when you're an adult, is a Electronic Diversity Visa Lottery Otherwise, you can try falling in love with an American girl, asking her to marry you, and then applying for a Fiance Visa. All of this will apply to you a couple of years in the future, of course.

Just about every state in the USA has a city that would meet your criteria. You'll have to narrow it down further. Do you want to live near the ocean or near mountains? Do you like snowy winters or long, hot, lazy summers? The USA is vast, and different states offer different climates. My state, Mississippi, is subtropical, and in the summer temperatures can hit 100F (that's about 37C) for days at a time. Our winters are rainy and chilly but it almost never snows. We have no mountains. Alaska, however, does have mountains, and some parts of Alaska average more than 200 inches of snow a year! As for natural disasters, there is no where in the world 100% safe from a natural disaster. Along the eastern US coastline there's danger from hurricanes. California is famous for its earthquakes. Hawaii has volcanos. Kansas has tornadoes. Other state have wildfires, landslides, blizzards, droughts, etc.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:56 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
In love with a 1950s tract house? uh oh.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
From a practical standpoint, you're going to find it hard to move here. It's difficult to obtain a work visa unless you're sponsored by a company, and there's a long waiting list for such visas. Your best bet, if you truly want to immigrate to the USA when you're an adult, is a Electronic Diversity Visa Lottery Otherwise, you can try falling in love with an American girl, asking her to marry you, and then applying for a Fiance Visa. All of this will apply to you a couple of years in the future, of course.

Just about every state in the USA has a city that would meet your criteria. You'll have to narrow it down further. Do you want to live near the ocean or near mountains? Do you like snowy winters or long, hot, lazy summers? The USA is vast, and different states offer different climates. My state, Mississippi, is subtropical, and in the summer temperatures can hit 100F (that's about 37C) for days at a time. Our winters are rainy and chilly but it almost never snows. We have no mountains. Alaska, however, does have mountains, and some parts of Alaska average more than 200 inches of snow a year! As for natural disasters, there is no where in the world 100% safe from a natural disaster. Along the eastern US coastline there's danger from hurricanes. California is famous for its earthquakes. Hawaii has volcanos. Kansas has tornadoes. Other state have wildfires, landslides, blizzards, droughts, etc.
Thanks for the info,
I'd like snow in the winter, and sunny weather in the summer, just not too hot.

I was looking at Georgia the other day, and that seemed like a really nice place to be. But like I said, I'm only here to get some info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.