Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 09:06 AM

21 posts, read 37,859 times

Advertisements

Ok, so new situation for us we can live anywhere we want.. We are working from home with no attach to current city.
However we need a cheap place

Here is what I am picturing for us, can you help tell me where it could be?

A small house with a small yard, on a body of water (i will take a pond ..) 2 bedrooms for less than $900. Ability to garden more than 3 months a year.

A slower pace type of lifestyle, cute and old charm town would be very liked with some life to it.
Warmer weather: no snow or ice, no crazy heat (husband likes his greenery, I cannot take another snow fall).. we want to be able to take walks almost year round (no 20 degrees winter). I don't need 70 degrees in winter.

I like having a library and a farmers market would be amazing, or access to farmers for food (we currently are members of a CSA for most of our food)

Possibly a place that is not too conservative and open to foreigners..
access to international airport within 3 hours would be awesome.

I was thinking, somewhere around Savannah or far suburbs of Atlanta?

Most place we like seem to be too north and cold for me: portland or, portland Me, vermont etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 09:42 AM

22,378 posts, read 39,044,113 times
Just a thought but areas in extreme S Jersey yet away from the coast offer a lot and even basically similar winters to the Atlanta area - due to its location between the oecen and bay it has a significantly longer growing season and is more temperate than area even 30 and 40 miles away. it also has little towns, even some coastal towns and close proximity to Philadelphia. This area of Jersey is a lot of why Jersey is often called the Garden State and has a lot of locally grown goods. The area is never more than an 60-80 minutes (or maybe 30 minutes to shore towns like Cape may etc.) from Philadelpha (Airport cultural amenities etc.).

Just a thought but the real esatate is relatively cehap and seems to fit a lot of your criteria.

Good luck in yur search and am sure there will be many other areas as well

Average Weather for Cape May Court House, NJ - Temperature and Precipitation

Climate
Being the southernmost point in New Jersey, Cape May has fairly mild wintertime temperatures. Contrary to that, the summertime has lower temperatures than most places in the state, making the county a popular place to escape the heat. It is in zone 7a/7b, which is the same as parts of Coastal Virginia, therefore being Humid/Temperate. It is a perfect location to grow traditional Northeastern Plants, including English Yew, Boxwoods and Sugar Maples. Because of the warmer wintertime temperatures, Hardy Palms, including Trachycarpus Fortunei (Chinese Windmill Palm) and Needle Palms, would work quite well in the landscape, these plants having survived for many years also in other parts of coastal New Jersey, from sandy Hook to Cape May. Wine grapes also do particularly well, given the long growing season. The wine industry is growing – four vineyards and wineries operate in the county now – three more are planted and on the way. Wine grapes are quickly replacing the once vibrant lima bean industry.
According to the Köppen climate classification system, Cape May has a humid subtropical climate (Cfa) typical of New Jersey with warm summers and cold winters.
Cape May County, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-27-2011, 11:16 AM

538 posts, read 1,195,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirikara View Post
Most place we like seem to be too north and cold for me: portland or, portland Me, vermont etc..
Portland, OR is a lot warmer than either of the other two cities you mention here. In fact, it's not much cooler than Atlanta, especially if you compare average lows. Moreover, having average highs lower than Atlanta's (especially in summer) is actually a good thing.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:04 PM

21 posts, read 37,859 times
thanks, I did not realize that.. It just i grew up in a temperate cloudy/rainy environment and the rain just gets me.. I think I "almost" prefer snow to rain. At least we still get sun when it snows.
I am guessingthis is the rainy season but in the next 10 days, there is 7 days of rain planned for portland.
While temps would allow us for our monring walk, rain prob would not
Although, I have to say portland seems perfect in many ways so we might end up there anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.