Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times

Advertisements

In people's opinion what Sunbelt region/metro has the better transit options. It doesn't need to be a combination of rail and bus. Bus systems can also in many instances be better than a combination and efficiency. Here in Phoenix there is both options. However it is so very limited that it renders useless, for the majority of people in such a huge Metro. Plus there just isn't the push to increase and extend, the transit options here in the near future. Very car oriented society and that's not going to change for who ever knows how long. Rather sad and disturbing. Its obvious this isn't an area that acknowledges or respects the gas can be any price at any time. Or that enviroments such as this. Hot sunny land locked, car oriented societies surrounded by mountains. Increase smog and air pollution to serious levels each year. Not a desirable location for everyone.

So other than Phoenix what Metro in the sunbelt states is better concerning the transit issues. I know its limited but there has to be something better than this. This here to me is a disgrace for the nations 5th largest Metro. That one day will be 4th since the population is ever increasing here. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 11:30 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
I would say Atlanta is probably best with runner ups Dallas and Miami. In terms of subsections of metro areas I would point toward Chapel Hill-Carrboro, NC (part of the Raleigh-Durham metro). The two towns joined forces to fund their transit system which is fare-free and rather extensive with impressive ridership numbers for the size of the area.

Town of Chapel Hill : About Chapel Hill Transit

Old 02-11-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would say Atlanta is probably best with runner ups Dallas and Miami. In terms of subsections of metro areas I would point toward Chapel Hill-Carrboro, NC (part of the Raleigh-Durham metro). The two towns joined forces to fund their transit system which is fare-free and rather extensive with impressive ridership numbers for the size of the area.

Town of Chapel Hill : About Chapel Hill Transit

Thank you Kyle. I have to agree with you. Atlanta is probably the most developed although lacking from what I hear. Yes I understand Dallas has been putting quite abit of effort into light rail extensions. I have been to the Raleigh Durham area. I can't say I was impressed at all by their transit or lack of it I should say. That to me is another fast growing sprawled out area, with very limted transit options Metro wide. I believe in the past few years they voted down light rail. If they ever do get it, it will be years and years from now.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:37 PM

8,634 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
In people's opinion what Sunbelt region/metro has the better transit options. It doesn't need to be a combination of rail and bus. Bus systems can also in many instances be better than a combination and efficiency. Here in Phoenix there is both options. However it is so very limited that it renders useless, for the majority of people in such a huge Metro. Plus there just isn't the push to increase and extend, the transit options here in the near future. Very car oriented society and that's not going to change for who ever knows how long. Rather sad and disturbing. Its obvious this isn't an area that acknowledges or respects the gas can be any price at any time. Or that enviroments such as this. Hot sunny land locked, car oriented societies surrounded by mountains. Increase smog and air pollution to serious levels each year. Not a desirable location for everyone.

So other than Phoenix what Metro in the sunbelt states is better concerning the transit issues. I know its limited but there has to be something better than this. This here to me is a disgrace for the nations 5th largest Metro. That one day will be 4th since the population is ever increasing here. Thanks.
Phoenix is not the 5th largest metro. It is the 14th largest MSA and 12th largest UA. Keep in mind that Metro Light Rail began its existence not too long ago (12/2008). In addition, please take a moment to become familiar with the future extensions and improvements:

Metro Light Rail (Phoenix) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Providing Public Transportation Alternatives for the Greater Phoenix Metro Area | Valley Metro |

PHX Sky Train - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Light rail in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-11-2013, 03:53 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
If SF is sunbelt, then SF, if not, then LA, if not LA, then Atlanta.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:16 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
If SF is sunbelt, then SF, if not, then LA, if not LA, then Atlanta.
I agree with this, though there is no doubt in my mind SF is not Sunbelt (IMO neither is LA but that is more open to debate).

Old 02-11-2013, 05:05 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I agree with this, though there is no doubt in my mind SF is not Sunbelt (IMO neither is LA but that is more open to debate).
Yeah it's only sunbelt in terms of maybe getting some sun (and fog) ... maybe Silicon Valley could classify as sun belt development.

just a random pic I've seen posted before

from wiki

Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I have been to the Raleigh Durham area. [B]I can't say I was impressed at all by their transit or lack of it I should say. That to me is another fast growing sprawled out area, with very limited transit options Metro wide.[/b]
Apparently you missed the Chapel Hill-Carrboro mention which is why I brought it up specifically. The bus service there rivals cities many times their size and since the thread was titled "best transit sunbelt cities" it seemed to fit.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Apparently you missed the Chapel Hill-Carrboro mention which is why I brought it up specifically. The bus service there rivals cities many times their size and since the thread was titled "best transit sunbelt cities" it seemed to fit.

I understood what you meant. I know about the Chapel Hill system and I did hear it was pretty good for that community. I was more concerned with frequent service Metro wide. Point to point service between all the cities in the Raleigh Durham Metro. An efficient system of that size just doesn't seem to exist there. Thanks for your input though. .

Old 02-12-2013, 09:44 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Atlanta, then Miami, then Dallas, then maybe Houston? That's if we're not including SF and LA as part of the Sunbelt of course. So, I'm pretty much repeating everyone else's sentiment. The South Florida metro probably has the most rail-options of all the Southern metros, but it's not as efficient and doesn't have the overall ridership of Marta from what I hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.