Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 PM

5 posts, read 9,365 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Austin, TX with my husband. We are a young couple (20-25) with 1 cat and no kids. We really want to move out of Austin within the next year for personal reasons but don't really have a clue on where to go.

What we are looking for:

1) Cheap rent or similar to what we are paying currently ($1075 for a 1 bedroom apartment)

2) We prefer cooler weather compared to warm. Somewhere with a high of 70-80 during summer would be great! We don't mind snow.

3) Good public transportation. My husband drives but I plan on taking public transport to and fro.

4) Lots of Japanese/korean restaurants/stores We love Japanese and korean food and it'll also be great if we can find somewhere that has a good asian supermarket or chinatown!

5) Relatively safe area, low crime rate.

6) Somewhere with little insects! (Not really a must) I have a phobia of insects like crickets/cockroaches and I was insanely terrified during Austin's 2 month cricket season.

We don't expect to find everything we listed above in one city but we would love to hear your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 AM

46 posts, read 135,465 times
I once stayed in Virginia. It was in Norfolk and I am happy with my stay there. But it is warmer and the rent I payed was $1500 for one bedroom in Sandy Bay Apartments but it is all worth it. I love the place but I do not know if you love it too But I am happy to give out my suggestion to you.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:22 AM

27,318 posts, read 44,318,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittysashimi View Post
I currently live in Austin, TX with my husband. We are a young couple (20-25) with 1 cat and no kids. We really want to move out of Austin within the next year for personal reasons but don't really have a clue on where to go.

What we are looking for:

1) Cheap rent or similar to what we are paying currently ($1075 for a 1 bedroom apartment)

2) We prefer cooler weather compared to warm. Somewhere with a high of 70-80 during summer would be great! We don't mind snow.

3) Good public transportation. My husband drives but I plan on taking public transport to and fro.

4) Lots of Japanese/korean restaurants/stores We love Japanese and korean food and it'll also be great if we can find somewhere that has a good asian supermarket or chinatown!

5) Relatively safe area, low crime rate.

6) Somewhere with little insects! (Not really a must) I have a phobia of insects like crickets/cockroaches and I was insanely terrified during Austin's 2 month cricket season.

We don't expect to find everything we listed above in one city but we would love to hear your suggestions!
Sacramento could be a good fit for you, particularly the Old Town area. High temperatures exceed your criteria in July and August but humidity levels are low enough that it doesn't feel that hot.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,045,393 times
Atlanta Metro

1) Cheap rent or similar to what we are paying currently ($1075 for a 1 bedroom apartment) "Cheap" rent here compared to other cities

2) We prefer cooler weather compared to warm. Somewhere with a high of 70-80 during summer would be great! We don't mind snow. Only really hot here in June and July

3) Good public transportation. My husband drives but I plan on taking public transport to and fro. Decent public transportation here. Not as good as NYC or Chicago but you can get to where you need to be generally

We have a H-Mart, Buford Hwy, Gwinnett County and they are filled with these tyes of restaurants
5) Relatively safe area, low crime rate. Safe city generally

6) Somewhere with little insects! (Not really a must) I have a phobia of insects like crickets/cockroaches and I was insanely terrified during Austin's 2 month cricket season. We have those here but it isnt that bad

Atlanta is a growing city. We have the most direct flights at our airport than any other airport, the city is green and beautiful, plenty of things to do and plenty of growth this year and next year

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 01-16-2013 at 08:24 AM..

Old 01-16-2013, 10:26 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,042,621 times
Look at Portland and Seattle.

1. Similar rent levels except for the most sought-after areas.

2. Cooler weather. It does get over 90 in the summer for a few days.

3. Good public transportation.

4. Japanese & Korean food and plenty of it. www.uwajimaya.com and Anzen Hiroshi - Northeast Portland - Portland, OR and dozens of restaurants.

5. Both cities are pretty safe.

6. Very low levels of insects. People from the south are amazed.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 AM

94,342 posts, read 125,266,732 times
If you don't mind a smaller city, maybe Ithaca NY, which is 17% Asian and has a good bus system, with rent in your range. Weather there is more in line with the given criteria too.

Ann Arbor and East Lansing MI may work. I know that the major Upstate NY cities have growing Asian populations and may be worth a look. All fit the rent criteria and I know that Syracuse has the Asian markets and restaurants too. All has decent public transportation, with Buffalo having a subway line.

What kind of work are you looking for?

Old 01-16-2013, 04:20 PM

5 posts, read 9,365 times
Thanks for sharing your information with me guys! I really appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyscott View Post
I once stayed in Virginia. It was in Norfolk and I am happy with my stay there. But it is warmer and the rent I payed was $1500 for one bedroom in Sandy Bay Apartments but it is all worth it. I love the place but I do not know if you love it too But I am happy to give out my suggestion to you.
What did you love about Virginia? $1500 is a little over our budget but I'll still look into the Norfolk area and see if I can find a cheaper apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sacramento could be a good fit for you, particularly the Old Town area. High temperatures exceed your criteria in July and August but humidity levels are low enough that it doesn't feel that hot.
Oh I LOVEEE california! I stayed in berkeley, CA for 6 weeks during summer school and I absolutely loved the weather. I have been considering areas close to SF, LA and san diego but I did not think about sacramento. The only problem is CA is that my husband thinks we won't be able to afford the rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Atlanta Metro

1) Cheap rent or similar to what we are paying currently ($1075 for a 1 bedroom apartment) "Cheap" rent here compared to other cities

2) We prefer cooler weather compared to warm. Somewhere with a high of 70-80 during summer would be great! We don't mind snow. Only really hot here in June and July

3) Good public transportation. My husband drives but I plan on taking public transport to and fro. Decent public transportation here. Not as good as NYC or Chicago but you can get to where you need to be generally

We have a H-Mart, Buford Hwy, Gwinnett County and they are filled with these tyes of restaurants
5) Relatively safe area, low crime rate. Safe city generally

6) Somewhere with little insects! (Not really a must) I have a phobia of insects like crickets/cockroaches and I was insanely terrified during Austin's 2 month cricket season. We have those here but it isnt that bad

Atlanta is a growing city. We have the most direct flights at our airport than any other airport, the city is green and beautiful, plenty of things to do and plenty of growth this year and next year
Atlanta sounds really good from what you have shared with me. I will share the information with my husband and research more on Atlanta! The cricket season in Austin is nuts. I get like 5 crickets sneaking into my 3rd floor apartment daily through the carpets. The carpark is filled with 100s of them (not exaggerating) during nightfall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Look at Portland and Seattle.

1. Similar rent levels except for the most sought-after areas.

2. Cooler weather. It does get over 90 in the summer for a few days.

3. Good public transportation.

4. Japanese & Korean food and plenty of it. www.uwajimaya.com and Anzen Hiroshi - Northeast Portland - Portland, OR and dozens of restaurants.

5. Both cities are pretty safe.

6. Very low levels of insects. People from the south are amazed.
Portland, OR was one of the top of my list! I was worried about Seattle because I thought the rent would be pretty high. That Japanese supermarket in Seattle looks a-mazing I'm glad to know that both cities have low levels of insects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you don't mind a smaller city, maybe Ithaca NY, which is 17% Asian and has a good bus system, with rent in your range. Weather there is more in line with the given criteria too.

Ann Arbor and East Lansing MI may work. I know that the major Upstate NY cities have growing Asian populations and may be worth a look. All fit the rent criteria and I know that Syracuse has the Asian markets and restaurants too. All has decent public transportation, with Buffalo having a subway line.

What kind of work are you looking for?
We stayed in Buffalo, NY for 9 months while I was finishing up my degree in UB. Buffalo was sort of boring to us but we loved the snow and the elmwood area My husband did say that he would not mind moving back to upstate NY if he had a job opportunity there. I never thought about Ann arbor and East Lansing, I'll research more about those areas as well as Syracuse.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 PM

Rochester also has an emerging business district with Asian businesses. South Clinton Avenue - Rochester Wiki

Brighton, a very nice and relatively dense suburb next to the nice Southeastern Quarter of Rochester is about 12% Asian.

You may like this market in Syracuse: http://m.yelp.com/biz/hans-oriental-...y-inc-syracuse

asian markets in syracuse ny - Google Search

Sushi Syracuse, Sakana Ya, Secret Garden, Han's Oriental Grocery - Sakana-Ya Syracuse

Or maybe this one: http://m.yelp.com/biz/pan-asia-supermarket-syracuse

Then, you have these spots: http://m.yelp.com/biz/chorong-house-restaurant-syracuse

http://m.yelp.com/biz/secret-garden-bl-won-syracuse

korean restaurants in syracuse ny - Google Search

Welcome to Ichiban Japanese Steakhouse!

japanese restaurants syracuse ny - Google Search

With some others.....

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-16-2013 at 08:02 PM..

Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,234,383 times
Seattle comes to mind immediately.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 AM

Here's a couple of good apartment guides: Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - - -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.