Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 18-29 year olds only please: Where is your ideal place to live?
Big City 49 55.68%
Suburb 12 13.64%
Small Town 11 12.50%
Rural Area 16 18.18%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,332,459 times

Advertisements

LOL, i'm not offering anybody to move with me. I know by the title it could be interpreted as this.

I'm in my very early 20's and i'm from a very large extended-suburb about 1/hr away from the center of a large city. Growing up this way was okay but I kinda wish I grew up in a setting where everybody was forced to know each other and could walk to each other homes. My particular town/district was split up by highways, major roadways and a creek/park so walking to a friend's house in another part of town would be a very long&wild obstacle course. Since it was an extended suburb, there was no downtown area. Everybody shopped and commuted into other areas so there was literally zero community feeling.

It seems the OVERWHELMING-VAST MAJORITY of people my age want to move into the cool mega-cities but I hated moving into one. I feel like I don't exist and I just feel like a number. I feel like if I dropped off the face of the earth tomorrow then nobody would notice. I moved b/c I wanted to be closer to things like shopping and clubs but as an adult, shopping isn't NEARLY as important to me as it was when I was a teenager. I also learned that i'm not a club person at all (I think they're loud, disgusting and nasty). I also feel sick just by looking at urban grit day after day.

Once I graduate college in late 2013 then i'm packin my bags and goin to a small town somewhere over the rainbow! Anybody else can relate to me? Please also state which of the four place-types mentioned in the poll do you currently live in.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 11-26-2012 at 08:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 08:37 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,264,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
LOL, i'm not offering anybody to move with me. I know by the title it could be interpreted as this.

I'm in my very early 20's and i'm from a very large extended-suburb about 1/hr away from the center of a large city. Growing up this way was okay but I kinda wish I grew up in a setting where everybody was forced to know each other and could walk to each other homes. My particular town/district was split up by highways/major roadways and a large creek/park so walking to a friend's house in another part of town would be a long&wild obstacle course. Since it was an extended suburb, there was no downtown area. Everybody shopped and commuted into other areas so there was literally zero community feeling.

It seems the OVERWHELMING-VAST MAJORITY of people my age want to move into the cool mega-cities but I hated moving into one. I feel like I don't exist and I just feel like a number. I feel like if I dropped off the face of the earth tomorrow then nobody would notice. Once I graduate college in late 2013 then i'm packin my bags and goin to a small town somewhere over the rainbow!

Anybody else can relate to me?
Right now I am stuck in a medium sized city that is somewhat boring but not the worst place in the world to live. Most twentysomethings want to live in a hip, liberal, walkable, eco-friendly community. The most popular cities for twentysomethings are San Francisco, Austin, Portland, Seattle, and possibly Minneapolis. I can definitely understand want to be in these places as they offer so much for young professionals, but there is more to consider than that. One also needs to consider job availability, cost of living, climate preferences, being close to family, etc. Move where you want to and not where culture tells you you should.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 PM

45 posts, read 72,519 times
When im looking, im looking for whats around me and if things are fun, and theres stuff to do.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,941,524 times
Small towns suck for younger people, no sense of adventure, cant meet many people for dating, closed minded attitudes, have to drive everywhere etc. I'd end up a methhead if i lived in some small town hellhole where everyone has nothing better to do than gossip about everyone else and drink

Old 11-27-2012, 02:23 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,321,030 times
As a a young person who is about to graduate from high school, I can't imagine why I would want to live in a boring small town in the middle of nowhere. I'll stick to the city.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:50 AM

71 posts, read 114,752 times
I am 31 years old and I can definitely relate to that. I was lucky enough to grow up not only in a small town but a small town that was surrounded by nothing but other small towns for about a two hour drive in any direction. As a kid I don't ever remember being bored. Kids had so much freedom. Everybody did know everybody and that made it a much safer environment than most people could ever imagine. Kids walked to school, walked or road bikes to the other side of town to friends houses, walked to the park, went fishing in the rivers and local lake, walked to the grocery store or candy store or nearby ice cream stand all on their own. We road our bikes to our little league practices, basketball practices and games, played, explored, went camping by ourselves,and built tree houses in the woods which were mostly state or federal land. Nobody locked the doors on their houses or cars. Kids were able to get the old walking style paper routes at 10 years old, and I believe that still goes on in the are today. I live in a bigger metro area now and don't really like it much at all. High crime, bad traffic, ruder and more inconsiderate people, and a few more malls and restaurants I guess. It actually kind of saddens me the older that my children get as they are growing up in a city-type environment. Sure they've gone to see more movies,malls, and theme parks, than I did, but I wouldn't trade the freedom and adventure I experienced as a child for anything. I've been trying to convince my wife to move back to that area or another small town as she grew up in the city and prefers it.

Last edited by TENNYOOPER; 11-27-2012 at 05:02 AM..

Old 11-27-2012, 07:30 AM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
What is the criteria for a small town in this case, as it varies depending on who you ask?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,611,172 times
I'm the only one that voted for "rural area." I guess I'm not a normal 20-29 year old. But love living where it's quiet, watching the crops grow up and change from season to season, where I can be out in the yard, with no fence, and not see other people or have other people bothering me.

The thing is, though... I would never want to live in a "small town." By that I mean actually living within the city limits of a small town of 0-5,000 people. It's like having the worst of both worlds. You have annoying neighbors and less space, without any of the amenities and attractions that make urban living appealing. That has zero appeal to me. I would rather live in an urban area than a small town, even if the aforementioned small town is surrounded by the rural areas that I like most.

My order of preference:

1. Rural area, either outside of a small town or mid-sized city
2. High density urban area
3. Small town (within the city limits)
4. Suburbs

Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,948,203 times
I am 26 and for all intents and purposes you could almost say I live in a ”small town”.

My neighborhood in Philly was once it's own city (Germantown) and functions very much like a small town with it's own downtown and shopping district and a very strong community feel where neighbors on the block all know eachother and where block parties, happy hours and chatting with neighbors out on the porch is the norm.
Of course we also live a 15 minute train, bus or subway ride to Center City Philadelphia, which is why I feel like I have the best of both worlds. Sometimes I wish to be back in the middle of the action and excitement but then remember how little I pay for my monthly mortgage.

So while I love the neighborly small town atmosphere I have, I could never live in an isolated small town with no connection to a larger entity. I grew up in the city, lived in NYC, traveled a bunch and genuinely love cities.

I despise the suburbs by and large but would like to live in a rural oasis someday and grow my own food and *ahem* herbs.
I'll still keep my city house though.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 11-27-2012 at 09:19 AM..

Old 11-27-2012, 09:51 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,264,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Small towns suck for younger people, no sense of adventure, cant meet many people for dating, closed minded attitudes, have to drive everywhere etc. I'd end up a methhead if i lived in some small town hellhole where everyone has nothing better to do than gossip about everyone else and drink
Agreed. Even small cities can be a drab for young people. I would say minimum acceptable size is the 1.7 million metro range i.e. Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.