Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 09:42 AM

823 posts, read 1,974,363 times

Advertisements

There's many movies depicting anti-social, agressive, borderline, unpleasent people in New York: As Good as it Gets, Midnight Cowboy, Borat, etc.

I guess it's normal to find those kind of types in a big city like New York, but I wonder how common is for the rest of the country? Particularly in the South, where they are stereotyped as welcoming, warm people.

Any personal experience?

I live in Barcelona, Spain, everynow and again I find those types, I know they are everywhere, but I wonder if the location one lives in makes it easier or harder to find them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 10:08 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
You do realize that movies are fiction? Someone has made all of that up. They invent characters that they think the public might find interesting.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:19 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
^ what?? everyone knows tv and movies are real.

I base my views of Germans from watching Hogans Heroes.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:32 AM

823 posts, read 1,974,363 times
I've never been to the USA, so obviously I must rely on movies, docs, and what people have told me.

And in fact, the New York part of Borat was not fiction, remember that guy going crazy on the subway when Borat asked him "what is your name"? Or that other Manhattan yuppie running away in a panic attack when Borat approached him? That was as real as it gets.

Is it random that the most usual sentence when somebody makes a New York accent parody is "you got a problem with that?"

Old 11-13-2012, 10:43 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
There are 303 million people in this country. It would be foolish of you to believe that the 100+ million people that live in the south are all nice and welcoming.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:45 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,659 times
The reality is, people are people everywhere you go. You can find anti-social, unpleasant people anywhere throughout the world, just like there are many sociable and pleasant people all over the world.

People to some extent are a product of their environments and upbringing, but overall people really are the same pretty much everywhere you go.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:46 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Urban and rural areas create entirely different experiences. In general you find honest, empathetic people everywhere, but in a densely populated area you are more likely to come into contact with a number of disfunctional types as well, just because of the crowded conditions. These same types may exist in less densely populated rural areas, but chances are you will never meet them. Movies of course tend to sensationalize, but ask your well-traveled friends what they think or strike up conversations with local people who have been raised in the US to get a better picture.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:52 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,891,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
^ what?? everyone knows tv and movies are real.

I base my views of Germans from watching Hogans Heroes.
To this day Schultz had no idea there was a radio in the coffee pot.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:01 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
You run into so many ppl in Manhattan you're bound to encounter those types. I did.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:15 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
I ran into so many people like this in much of Portland, Oregon, I have never seen it to the extent that I did in that city. Then again that city has a very large population of homeless, druggies and people with mental illness roaming the streets. So I always felt that is why I saw so much of it there. Very antisocial types and people with odd ball behaviours in public places. That and the fact the city has very strange politics that allow all of this as everyday life. Portland's city motto is "Keep Portland Weird". The city most definitely lives up to its motto. Very weird place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.