Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 10:46 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Don't yall ever get tired of talking about us?
Who is this aimed at? People are talking about the South in a thread about....the South. What's so odd about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 12:31 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
What kind of work will you be doing in N.O.?
Anything to pay the bills. Don't have a career yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
YAY! Good luck.

I am originally from Metairie. I love New Orleans. My husband and I visit there at least once a year. I'd love to live there but our future may be moving us to Virginia or West Virginia. I'm online looking at property as we speak!

It's AMAZING what real estate dollars can buy in West Virginia! Sheeze! And we're moving from Texas, where the cost of living and real estate are already low. I am blown away.
Thanks.
You pay for that cheap housing too. I couldn't fathom living in West Virginia. I would love the views and scenery there but too boring for me.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:43 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Who is this aimed at? People are talking about the South in a thread about....the South. What's so odd about that?
My point is not about this particular thread, but about the ridiculous number of threads in this forum that are essentially an invitation to lob grenades at this region. Let's not pretend it isn't so.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:55 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
My point is not about this particular thread, but about the ridiculous number of threads in this forum that are essentially an invitation to lob grenades at this region. Let's not pretend it isn't so.
Amen!

Old 08-19-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
The OP claims to be from Savannah, GA. What possible motive could he/she have for "lobbing grenades" at the South?

Old 08-19-2012, 06:26 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRAZORHOG View Post
No major cities. No pro sports teams. No major population growth. Always the center of negative stereotypes in the media and in the minds of northerners. Will Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, and Kentucky ever gain the same popularity as Florida, Georgia, Virginia, Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Texas?
Cities do not impress me in a good way.
Wouldn't give you two cents for every pro team playing.
I live in one of the fastest growing counties in America and it can stop growing any day now please!
My biggest thought when I wake up in the morning will never be to impress any person from the North. Our cultures are the opposite and if they like something, I probably won't.

If I lived in a state that was less popular, it would worry me, not at all.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:33 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
The OP claims to be from Savannah, GA. What possible motive could he/she have for "lobbing grenades" at the South?
Again, I am not speaking of this thread in particular. But the responses here are indicative.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Again, I am not speaking of this thread in particular. But the responses here are indicative.
Which responses, though? Where did anybody lob grenades at the South, here? I am honestly just confused...

Old 08-19-2012, 08:25 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
The equation of growth with "progress" is not accurate. A few years ago, a great many vehicles in my area of Central Kentucky sported bumper stickers reading "Growth Destroys Bluegrass Forever". My car was one of those.

That's the Bluegrass Region of Kentucky, not bluegrass music. Beautiful, pastoral, bucolic - and fragile and endangered by urban sprawl and cheaply built, ill-designed, poorly planned "development".

Uncontrolled, unplanned and destructive growth equates to cancer, not progress. The more thoughtful, history and natural history minded residents of my mid-sized university/clean industry/city would be happy to see local "growth" remain moderate and intelligent. Similarly, most of those same residents lament ill-considered destruction of historically significant buildings for dubiously funded proposed future projects (the most notorious of which has left a large city block of fenced grass along Main Street downtown for the last three years; the most recent of which destroyed an attractive, extremely functional and solid Victorian house on Main Street for speculation and personal gain of a local realtor).

Old 08-19-2012, 08:36 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The equation of growth with "progress" is not accurate. A few years ago, a great many vehicles in my area of Central Kentucky sported bumper stickers reading "Growth Destroys Bluegrass Forever". My car was one of those.

That's the Bluegrass Region of Kentucky, not bluegrass music. Beautiful, pastoral, bucolic - and fragile and endangered by urban sprawl and cheaply built, ill-designed, poorly planned "development".

Uncontrolled, unplanned and destructive growth equates to cancer, not progress. The more thoughtful, history and natural history minded residents of my mid-sized university/clean industry/city would be happy to see local "growth" remain moderate and intelligent. Similarly, most of those same residents lament ill-considered destruction of historically significant buildings for dubiously funded proposed future projects (the most notorious of which has left a large city block of fenced grass along Main Street downtown for the last three years; the most recent of which destroyed an attractive, extremely functional and solid Victorian house on Main Street for speculation and personal gain of a local realtor).
Lexington. That was easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.