Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:57 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,625,844 times

Advertisements

Boulder/Denver area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 02:04 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,832,025 times
Seattle sounds perfect for you. When you listed off the things you wanted, Seattle immediately came to mind.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:42 AM

8,055 posts, read 10,651,352 times
Asheville? Little in the way of snow, and the OP does not want humidity.

I recommend the University of Montana.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:12 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,027,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
So I am 20 years old, currently studying languages in Community College, and looking for a place to go off to university. I already have some ideas but I want to see where else I can go. Here's my thinking...

I'm looking for
-A place with an urban setting or feel, but still in close proximity to nature. I can do small cities if they're within a few hours of a bigger city, but NOT A SUBURB.
-At least one good university that has a good foreign language AND arts programme.
-Cool winters with at least some snow, even if it's just a dusting I'll take it. Being close to mountains is also preferred. I'm not sure how I do in very harsh winters as I have never lived in a place with one.
-Liberal minded attitude, open towards gay people, and has alternative culture aplenty.
-Good food
-Good shopping
-Decent nightlife (hopefully a big university should take care of that)
-Friendly atmosphere that can make anyone feel cozy and at home

I don't need major sport teams, and I prefer summers to be pleasant and/or short. I can deal with cool humid but not so much hot humid. I prefer to have at the very least some change in season. Cost of living shouldn't matter too much if I can get a decent job and live on campus or have roommates to bunk with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Asheville? Little in the way of snow, and the OP does not want humidity.

I recommend the University of Montana.
Actually the OP didn't mind if it was light snow. Humidity is a tradeoff....so is the lack of a nearby major city and liberal attitude/gay tolerance which are not found in Montana.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:32 AM

93,562 posts, read 124,293,378 times
Plattsburgh NY may work considering the state it is in, it had an openly gay/Republican mayor in recent years, has a 4 year SUNY campus, is on Lake Champlain, is a short drive to the Adirondacks and the Green Mtns., Montreal is about an hour and a half away(get an enhanced driver's license) and Burlington VT is across Lake Champlain.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danie...rt_(politician)

Straight Talk with Dan Stewart

Plattsburgh (city), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

City of Plattsburgh

SUNY Plattsburgh

Plattsburgh North Country Chamber of Commerce

Plattsburgh Pipeline - Music, Events, News, Radio, Business

All Points North - A Drag at the Drag Show

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-22-2012 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-22-2012, 11:09 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,057,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually the OP didn't mind if it was light snow. Humidity is a tradeoff....so is the lack of a nearby major city and liberal attitude/gay tolerance which are not found in Montana.
I agree, honestly Montana seems like a beautiful place but I've heard a lot about how conservative it is.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:31 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,666,762 times
Quote:
I agree, honestly Montana seems like a beautiful place but I've heard a lot about how conservative it is.
Most of Montana isn't anymore beautiful than the dakotas. Of course, there are extremely beautiful corners of montana but overall i don't think it matches any of your criteria.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:13 PM

302 posts, read 770,295 times
Quote:
So I am 20 years old, currently studying languages in Community College, and looking for a place to go off to university. I already have some ideas but I want to see where else I can go. Here's my thinking...

I'm looking for
-A place with an urban setting or feel, but still in close proximity to nature. I can do small cities if they're within a few hours of a bigger city, but NOT A SUBURB.
-At least one good university that has a good foreign language AND arts programme.
-Cool winters with at least some snow, even if it's just a dusting I'll take it. Being close to mountains is also preferred. I'm not sure how I do in very harsh winters as I have never lived in a place with one.
-Liberal minded attitude, open towards gay people, and has alternative culture aplenty.
-Good food
-Good shopping
-Decent nightlife (hopefully a big university should take care of that)
-Friendly atmosphere that can make anyone feel cozy and at home

I don't need major sport teams, and I prefer summers to be pleasant and/or short. I can deal with cool humid but not so much hot humid. I prefer to have at the very least some change in season. Cost of living shouldn't matter too much if I can get a decent job and live on campus or have roommates to bunk with.
Almost sounds like you are describing Ann Arbor, Michigan to me. (Just no mountains.)

Old 07-22-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You obviously have not been to Missoula.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
This is surprisingly, not what I found to be true in the University of Montana, Missoula area. I lived in the Bitteroot Valley and worked in Missoula - just about everyone I met was liberal leaning, Democrat voting, yet they still love their guns and their hunting. There is also an influx of Californians that has contributed to the liberal vibe. Not saying this is good or bad, I'm just saying you would be very surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.