Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:21 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,428,541 times

Advertisements

In what states would you say IN GENERAL are the best drivers ie: stick to speed limits,laws etc...from what I've seen of the states I've been to,western Virginia and Indiana were the only ones that have come close. The northeast has got to be the worst I've seen and have also heard they drive pretty fast in places like Montana etc...but that's probably expected considering the area to cover;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 07:27 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
In general the worst drivers I've seen are in the St. Louis area. So many rollover accidents, massive pileups, and people actually STOPPING on the highway on-ramp... jeez. Like they got their drivers licenses out of cereal boxes!

But this is about the best drivers ...

For that ironically I would say Seattle. When you indicate you want to change lanes, they actually let you!

And at a four way stop, usually someone will let you go by.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:33 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,582 times
I agree with Seattle as far as big cities go. To me, they're pretty laid back up there.

I think the Great Plains probably has the best drivers as far as regions go. I'd put Wyoming and Montana in there too. Except for the cities like Oklahoma City. Used to live there. I think a lot of people expect OKC to have good drivers but nope, awful, just like most cities!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:30 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Dakotas and Montana. No big city traffic and they know how to read the "Keep right except passing" sign. Driving up there is usually a breeze, most cars are in the right lane, people accelerate on the entrance ramp.

In MN-WI you have the left lane cruisers, people who are in a rush to go nowhere and zig zag down the freeway (i guess thats the left lane cruisers fault) if you are driving up here STAY AWAY from the Buick Lasabre's and Cadillac DTS's with FL or AZ plates.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:52 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
I hate slow drivers. That's all I'm gonna tell you.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:12 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,428,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I hate slow drivers. That's all I'm gonna tell you.
What do you consider slow? If doing the speed limit or sufficiently above then I hate drivers who tailgate

Old 06-08-2012, 12:31 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Dakotas and Montana. No big city traffic and they know how to read the "Keep right except passing" sign. Driving up there is usually a breeze, most cars are in the right lane, people accelerate on the entrance ramp.

In MN-WI you have the left lane cruisers, people who are in a rush to go nowhere and zig zag down the freeway (i guess thats the left lane cruisers fault) if you are driving up here STAY AWAY from the Buick Lasabre's and Cadillac DTS's with FL or AZ plates.
Hahaha....actually, stay away from BMW's, Mercedes', and beheamoth pickup trucks while you're at it. They are the typical speed culprits and almost 100% sure to be the a-hole on the road at any given time!

Old 06-08-2012, 12:36 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
What do you consider slow? If doing the speed limit or sufficiently above then I hate drivers who tailgate
I hate tailgaters AND people who don't move over. The point of tailgating is to encourage the person in front of you to create separation between himself and you because that person is keeping the person behind from passing (i.e. blocking the left lane, usually). Any other reason is unnecessary, EXCEPT rush hour when you have to "guard" the space in front of you or else you'll get cut off indefinitely from point A to point B.

People who don't move over or worse, purposely block faster-moving traffic, are just as bad passive-aggressively, because they are (illegally) preventing faster-moving traffic from flowing freely on the freeway, and setting up the scenario for a dangerous pass on the right-hand side.

Both situations are illegal in many cases, and in both situations the drivers often have the wrong intentions. In general, you can't control the speed or actions of anybody except yourself, and since you can only control yourself you should practice safe driving distances behind people at all times (except for rush hour or lane blocking).

To me, that's the "unwritten code" of ethics for driving. I think most people know this but selfishly refuse to abide!

Old 06-08-2012, 12:51 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,509,336 times
Southern California has some of the most skilled drivers overall of any place I've driven. They know how to keep traffic flowing as well as it can on those overcrowded freeways. Of course there's plenty of morons on the road, but given the total number of drivers they're pretty good.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:43 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
Worst drivers i have ever seen are in Cleveland, i think they all got license out of a Cracker Jack Box. Best might be Pacific NW, in Portland all the drivers are pretty good and polite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.