Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:35 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Really, you mean the Harlem which was 98% black?

What neighborhoods of Harlem were well off? If you read the Wikipedia article, everyone gave up on Harlem. The people didn't want to move there, nobody wanted to buy the buildings, even the city gave up on them. Harlem was bad throughout, there was not ONE good pocket. If there was they would get smoked by the majority ghetto. Nobody is that crazy.

But I agree about the projects. Choose any Harlem projects or better yet Brownsville, Brooklyn which is also a Project metrapolis.
Why must you believe everything you read. Especially from Wikipedia. Yes there have always been nice pockets in Harlem. My grandparents owned a beautiful brownstone in Harlem which they lived in for 50 years. I use to visit them all the time. Now 2 cousins recently purchased homes in Harlem. It still has pockets of crime, but I've seen much worse across these United States.

My vote goes to Caprini Green. It started off awful and ended even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 14,089 times
Cabrini green by far. I have been through south central and harlem and nobody will mess with you like others have said, but have never been to chicago but its obvious from videos I have seen that Cabrini was the worst. And there are other places that have higher crime rates than these citys like my town Fort Pierce, Florida or Camden and Newark New Jersey. My town is bad and I have lived in California and most of my family lives in New York but Cabrini just looks intimidating if you dont live there.
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 03:51 AM..

Old 01-04-2008, 07:56 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Harlem and South Central are a lot safer today. Both have about equal crime rates, although Harlem did have a higher murder rate for 2006, not sure about '07. But in all honesty, these neighborhoods are still ghettos, still crime-ridden, but just went from being Hell on Earth back in the day to really, really bad now.

But Harlem has always been worse than South Central. I think the only year South Central was more dangerous than Harlem was in '99. Maybe in '98, also. Can't remember.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:01 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyphy View Post
Cabrini green by far. I have been through south central and harlem and nobody will mess with you like others have said, but have never been to chicago but its obvious from videos I have seen that Cabrini was the worst. And there are other places that have higher crime rates than these citys like my town Fort Pierce, Florida or Camden and Newark New Jersey. My town is bad and I have lived in California and most of my family lives in New York but Cabrini just looks intimidating if you dont live there.
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
That link is a city crime comparison, we're talking neighborhoods. Out of the three, Cabrini is the worst right now.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 03:50 AM..

Old 01-04-2008, 09:01 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
as dave chappelle said, you need to get out more...have you seen parts of the bronx, brooklyn, newark, patterson, camden, north philly, sw philly, b'more, dc, downtown miami? Compton, Cabrini Chitown & Harlem aint THAT bad....lol

Old 01-04-2008, 09:24 PM

287 posts, read 350,521 times
I watched a show on Cabrini Green last night. People, including at least 2 police officers and a 1st grade boy, were literally sniped. Huge holes were put in the walls to create an elaborate maze so the police couldn't catch them. It was nuts. Nothing you would expect in America.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:56 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Dallas and Houston has the "real" hoods

Old 01-05-2008, 01:13 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
First, several of you guys deserve credit for some amazingly well-researched and thorough posts. Since I won't try to top them, I'll offer my subjective opinion based upon real experience. I've been to Harlem several times. I lived in Chicago when Cabrini Green was at its' low point and I've lived in the projects in LA. The city-to-city comparison is difficult because each was more dangerous in certain time periods. For example, I believe South Central was worse in 1965, whereas Cabrini Green was the worst in the early 1970's.

Also, while all the areas were dangerous, the real distinction was not the city you were in, but if you were in the "projects". I always looked for escape routes. In Cabrini Green you were in a multistory building, with only stairwells as exits. The higher up you were, the more danger of getting jumped. In my projects in LA, we lived on the first floor. I could get out the door or windows. Once I got out of the projects and in to the surrounding neighborhood, there were more avenues of escape and more people as witnesses.

Just my opinion, but I don't know why you guys are arguing about the baddest neighborhood (especially if you didn't live there). If you are in the projects anywhere you are in danger.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:12 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Default This thread.

I can't help but wonder why this thread. The NYC ghetto at "Five Points" had more murders than the neighborhoods cited, but that was another time. Forgive me, but I think there is a sub rosa agenda here.

To answer the question, actually Robert Taylor was worse than Cabrini Green. What killed the communities were towering projects and gang control. Harlem projects contained working middle-income people much longer than Cabrini-Green. Harlem always had white people (like Burt Lancaster) living there. I knew of white Harlem residents well into the seventies, when the worst neighborhood in NYC was Bed-Stuy.

Harlem is actually a much larger neighborhood than Cabrini-Green, and has its own shopping and entertainment district. There also are far more Hispanic residents (mainly Puerto Ricans) in Harlem than there ever were in Cabrini-Green. So the places are so different it is hard to make valid comparisons.

I am not at all familiar with South Central LA.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:02 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
I've never been to any of them,but my aunt and her husband use to always go down to Harlem to visit and loved it there. I've never heard of anyone going to visit Cabrini Green or South Central lol..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.