Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 PM

130 posts, read 384,678 times

Advertisements

I love where I live, however it is just too expensive and my husband isn't incredibly happy with the amount of freshwater fishing he can do here. Because of how expensive it is here, we really would like to relocate within the next few months.

My husband currently works at a restaurant chain, "On The Border". He would like to stick with this company and his boss said that as long as another location is hiring he will do his best to ensure him a transfer, and he was able to get my husband a job offer in Pennsylvania however I'm not 100% positive that we want to move there so we are looking at all of our options.

There are a bunch of locations all over the US with the exception of NH, VT, AL, WI, MI, ND, WV, DE, NE, UT, NM, HI, & AK.

I would like go to Upstate NY but currently the only location is the one he works at now.

This is basically what we are looking for;
-Rent no more than $800 a month in an apartment/townhome WITH at least W/D connections.
-Family friendly community (we do plan on having a kid soon)
-SAFE
-Good schools
-Near a community college with a Criminal Justice program so I can finish my last 5 credits to graduate.

About us:
-Husband loves to fish for largemouth bass.
-We are very liberal.
-We love having beautiful scenery such as mountains or big lakes.
-I strongly dislike extremely hot weather, so somewhere where there are mild summers and cold winters would be preferable, but my husband doesn't like freezing cold weather so somewhere NOT like Buffalo, NY :P
-We spend most of our nights off at home watching a movie, going out bowling, or out to dinner. We don't really go to clubs.
-We're both really against drugs and don't drink very often either except sometimes I'll have a glass of wine with dinner and he a bottle of beer.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 05:43 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
I think Colorado could be a good option for you. On The Border has a several locations around Denver and the northside location of Loveland would be a good work option. Check out the Boulder suburb of Niwot or Berthoud, as well as Fort Collins to the north. Another good work location would be the Denver-West location which places you near Broomfield or Superior. Niwot, Berthoud, Broomfield, Superior and Fort Collins all offer good schools and are pretty liberal, with an edge to Niwot, Broomfield and Fort Collins for liberal characteristics in my opinion. The scenery of course will speak for itself, it's stunningly beautiful with plenty of fishing options too. The weather is pretty nice, with lots of sunshine typically and not so hot summers. It's not ridiculously cold often in the winter and snowfall not as heavy as you'd expect. Community College options are numerous in the area as well.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think Colorado could be a good option for you. On The Border has a several locations around Denver and the northside location of Loveland would be a good work option. Check out the Boulder suburb of Niwot or Berthoud, as well as Fort Collins to the north. Another good work location would be the Denver-West location which places you near Broomfield or Superior. Niwot, Berthoud, Broomfield, Superior and Fort Collins all offer good schools and are pretty liberal, with an edge to Niwot, Broomfield and Fort Collins for liberal characteristics in my opinion. The scenery of course will speak for itself, it's stunningly beautiful with plenty of fishing options too. The weather is pretty nice, with lots of sunshine typically and not so hot summers. It's not ridiculously cold often in the winter and snowfall not as heavy as you'd expect. Community College options are numerous in the area as well.
I've been to Boulder before and I absolutely loved it there, but it is too expensive for us so I figured the surrounding cities would be out of the question. I will definitely look into the towns you suggested! Thank you!

Old 05-17-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingpointe516 View Post
I've been to Boulder before and I absolutely loved it there, but it is too expensive for us so I figured the surrounding cities would be out of the question. I will definitely look into the towns you suggested! Thank you!
Boulder itself is insanely expensive, but the Boulder suburbs and the rest of the metro Denver area is relatively inexpensive. Fort Collins isn't bad either.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Boulder itself is insanely expensive, but the Boulder suburbs and the rest of the metro Denver area is relatively inexpensive. Fort Collins isn't bad either.
Just out of curiosity I looked for apartments in Boulder again and I was actually able to find one thats in our price range! I wanted to keep our rent under $800 but in reality we can afford up to $950, I was just wanting to be stingy and save $$$ lol. I'm in love with the apartment I found in Boulder starting at $816 a month but not sure how hubby will feel about a 30 minute drive to work.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity I looked for apartments in Boulder again and I was actually able to find one thats in our price range! I wanted to keep our rent under $800 but in reality we can afford up to $950, I was just wanting to be stingy and save $$$ lol. I'm in love with the apartment I found in Boulder starting at $816 a month but not sure how hubby will feel about a 30 minute drive to work.
Wow, that's great! I saw others in that price range as well. Hopefully he finds 30 minutes not a bad drive as your quality of life would be worth the trade off I think.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:27 AM

93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Just come to Upstate NY. Cost of living overall is at or even below the national average and on par with the South in many areas, plenty of freshwater for great fishing, there are Community colleges and 4 year colleges with that offer Criminal Justice degrees and more.

Snow is more of an issue than freezing temperatures, but places around the Albany area get less snow(actually on par with the Denver area in terms of yearly average) and snowfall varies within metros. for instance, when you read that the Syracuse area averages 115 inches of snow a winter, Oswego County locales might get between 110-130 inches while Onondaga County locales might get 70-90 inches. Even with that winters can vary in terms of overall snowfall.

Places like Ithaca, Clinton, Hamilton, Aurora, many communities with colleges and even certain parts of the bigger cities would fit in terms of being liberal.

You can also find apartments to rent within that prices range too: Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - -

Criminal Justice Schools in New York

2011 Upstate school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

As for a similar job, this may help or give examples: welcome! · cnymenus · dot · com ·

Restaurants - The Official Site of the City of Albany, NY

Dining in Glens Falls New York has something for everyone?s taste and budget

Say Schenectady: Schenectady Tourism Schenectady Events, Schenectady Attractions, Hotels, Reunions, Restaurants, Albany, Saratoga, Cooperstown, Erie Canal,Stockade, historic, proctors

TROY.NY :: Dining

The Best Restaurants in Utica, NY

Binghamton University - About: Visiting Campus: Restaurants

Old 05-17-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just come to Upstate NY. Cost of living overall is at or even below the national average and on par with the South in many areas, plenty of freshwater for great fishing, there are Community colleges and 4 year colleges with that offer Criminal Justice degrees and more.

Snow is more of an issue than freezing temperatures, but places around the Albany area get less snow(actually on par with the Denver area in terms of yearly average) and snowfall varies within metros. for instance, when you read that the Syracuse area averages 115 inches of snow a winter, Oswego County locales might get between 110-130 inches while Onondaga County locales might get 70-90 inches. Even with that winters can vary in terms of overall snowfall.

Places like Ithaca, Clinton, Hamilton, Aurora, many communities with colleges and even certain parts of the bigger cities would fit in terms of being liberal.

You can also find apartments to rent within that prices range too: Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - -

Criminal Justice Schools in New York

2011 Upstate school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

As for a similar job, this may help or give examples: welcome! · cnymenus · dot · com ·

Restaurants - The Official Site of the City of Albany, NY

Dining in Glens Falls New York has something for everyone?s taste and budget

Say Schenectady: Schenectady Tourism Schenectady Events, Schenectady Attractions, Hotels, Reunions, Restaurants, Albany, Saratoga, Cooperstown, Erie Canal,Stockade, historic, proctors

TROY.NY :: Dining

The Best Restaurants in Utica, NY

Binghamton University - About: Visiting Campus: Restaurants
I will keep this in mind as I do love New York and really would like to stay here. I always wanted to move to Tonawanda.

However the reason he wants to stay with his current job is because he can possibly get a manager position. It'll mostly be up to him since it's his job. Thanks for all the help though! I'm sure it will come in handy!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:04 AM

93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
I will keep this in mind as I do love New York and really would like to stay here. I always wanted to move to Tonawanda.

However the reason he wants to stay with his current job is because he can possibly get a manager position. It'll mostly be up to him since it's his job. Thanks for all the help though! I'm sure it will come in handy!
In that case, you may want to keep this in mind too: Restaurant Manager jobs in Syracuse, NY - Indeed Mobile

Restaurant Manager jobs in albany, NY - Indeed Mobile

Restaurant Manager jobs in glens falls, NY - Indeed Mobile

Restaurant Manager jobs in utica, NY - Indeed Mobile

Restaurant Manager jobs in binghamton, NY - Indeed Mobile

Old 05-19-2012, 08:39 AM

The OP is planning to transfer with his current company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.