Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:58 AM

167 posts, read 856,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
Montreal is great in summer but its miserable in winter (or 8 months/year).
...(salaries are way higher and cost of living is lower).
In fact, I would move for the weather alone ...
So true! Montreal has 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and construction. The summer may be short, but I agree, it's hot and humid. If it weren't for the weather/climate, Montreal would be perfect. Combine it with weather from Kelowna or Victoria and it would be much better. Tough choice, but I'm going out west this summer.

And yes, the US tends to have higher salaries and lower costs of living, in many cities. I've always envied that about our neighbours to the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 11:25 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Portland, Oregon
Dense, Walkable, Good public transportation.
Comfortable weather, i'm not sure but i think its more sunny in Montreal but the temperatures in Portland are very comfortable.
The city itself is also beautiful; very hilly and close to Mountains
Another plus is safety, Portland is usually in the top rankings for safest major city in America.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:28 AM

361 posts, read 837,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gui_st View Post
I have 2 Master's (6 years within 3 different Universities) and 2+ years relevant work experience, so I'm not really worried about getting a job down there.

I gotta make up my mind. Tough choice!
Could you just go the next green card processing step without being sure moving there ?
How long does it take to finaly get your GC ?

Old 05-11-2012, 11:33 AM

20 posts, read 43,580 times
Well the next step is easy (I just had to send 2 forms). Now I'm waiting for an interview and I'll have to do a medical examination by then. The whole process is fairly simple and quick: I could get the GC in 6 to 12 months. It seems easier (and cheaper) than the process I went through to get my Canadian PR.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:16 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy73 View Post
As a Canadian, I've always wanted to live in the US, in particular, in California, ever since I was a child. That desire never left me and I'm almost 40 now. Visits are OK but it's not the same as living there. I could compromise and live in the US 6 months of the year, since, as a Canadian resident by birth, I can stay in the US for up to 6 months without a visa - but I could not work in the US. That's a problem - until I can earn enough to live that kind of lifestyle.

But you could go anywhere! I envy you for that. But one important consideration is that many of the people here are biased - either they've lived in the same place all of their lives and just love it there, or they're so sick of it they'll tell you to move! Myself, I've lived in Canada my whole life (and for 10 years in and around Montreal). I like Canada overall, but NOT the climate! Warm weather and snow-free winters are high on my priority list. For others it may not be.

Having lived in Montreal for almost a decade, I agree it's a world class city with the benefits of good health care and everything else good that goes along with being in Canada. It's got a unique European flair with that special French-Canadian culture. It's like no other city I've seen and I'm sad that I'm not there anymore. Although I do not miss the long, cold and snowy winters with short, hot summers. If it weren't for that, it would be the perfect place for me.

So, only YOU can make that decision. Weight out what's important for you, and choose the place that best suits you. Stay in la belle province or live the American Dream? (despite the bad economy, I believe there still is an American Dream, which will only get stronger with time - the economy will eventually improve, it always does). On the other hand, the Canadian economy was not hit as badly as in the US, and since the late 1990s and early 2000s, the Montreal economy and real estate has really picked up.
It's a shame that you would really like to contribute to the US, and yet our laws prevent it. Australia gives special treatment to New Zealand and vice versa. Not sure why they have that arrangement, but I suspect it is because they are both former colonies of the UK and are close neighbors. The same applies to the US, so no reason why we can't do it.

I would like to be able to move to Canada without going thru all the immigration hassles if I so desired the move. Not saying I would do it, but it would be nice to have that option.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:55 PM

167 posts, read 856,777 times
Yes, the best I can do for now is stay in the US for up to 6 months per year, since I can do so without at visa as a Canadian born resident. As long as I have enough money though - I can't work there, and apparently I can't "telecommute" either - so no working online on my computer, even if I'm earning it in Canadian dollars!

Incidentally, Portland Oregon is nice - I wouldn't mind living there too, or better yet, Eugene Oregon might be more my style. Funny you should mention Australia. I know the agreement between Australia and New Zealand wouldn't help ME, but my long term plan is to move to a tropical part of Australia. Under current immigration laws, I could probably do so if I started a business in Australia.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:15 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,374,505 times
Quote:
Still considering to stay closer to Canada, in Burlington, VT for example. This would allow me to go back to Montreal whenever I want while enjoying the mountains and charm of New England.
OMG. Are you kidding me? There IS NOTHING TO DO IN VT.
Read the VT forum.

Quote:
Most foreigners still believe in the American Dream and perceive the USA as a kind of Eldorado.
There is no such thing as the American Dream. That is make-believe.

Quote:
I have 2 Master's (6 years within 3 different Universities) and 2+ years relevant work experience, so I'm not really worried about getting a job down there.
But you should be because there's loads of people with lots of schoolin' (and lots of debt to show for it) but still can't get jobs.
Quote:

I gotta make up my mind. Tough choice!
What's making it tough is it doesn't appear as though you have any wants or needs for why you're moving.

You're not even dissatisfied with the weather in Montreal. It honestly sounds like you're happier than a pig in st
You know what you need?

A vacation.

Go on vacation.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:21 AM

133 posts, read 219,773 times
Looks like you should stay in Canada. If you move to the US you're sure to die. Even if you did survive the coming apocalypse you would most certainly either be murdered or die from lack of health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.