Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think is the Divide Line between North and South?
Interstate 70 11 7.64%
U.S. Route 50 13 9.03%
Mason-Dixie Line & Ohio River 67 46.53%
U.S. Route 60 29 20.14%
Other 30 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:17 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
I'm not arguing that there may be Southern sounding accents scattered there, but if you are talking about the real South, or maybe the "core" South, I think most people just include Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee, North & South Carolina, most of Texas, Oklahoma, and Kentucky, the Florida panhandle, and southern Virginia and Missouri. A lot of people just count the former Confederate states. Some sources probably wouldn't include all of those. I've heard of people from the Deep South who consider Tennessee to be a border state, as crazy as that sounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 04:36 AM

692 posts, read 1,355,090 times
Jeremiah Dixon and Charlie Masons line

Old 05-02-2012, 05:23 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
A good chunk of Illinois is Baptist, as are parts of Southern Indiana, but in any case, religion by itself is not what determines North vs. South. Catholics exist in great concentrations in Texas, Louisiana, and Florida. In any case, I mostly agree with what you are saying, but the Bible Belt does extend into the Lower Midwest. The parts of Southern Indiana near Louisville are pretty definitively Southern. Less than 25% of Missouri is definitively southern...and what is is pretty sparsely populated.

As far as in Ohio, Cincinnati is pretty solidly Midwestern. That whole part of Kentucky jutting up into the Cincy area is more like Ohio than Kentucky.
First of all, I never said that religion was the definitive attribute of what was and wasn't Southern; I simply used that attribute as one example showing how the culture is different north of the Ohio River. I could have instead used architecture, accents, etc.

Second, you are wrong about Southern Indiana being "definitively Southern". There is no part of Indiana that is, or has historically, identified with the South.

This map does not agree with you about religion, either.

Note how the ancestry changes near the Ohio River

Again, Ohio River...

There were no major Civil War battles in Illinois, Indiana, or Ohio because it was not a contested area

Old 05-02-2012, 05:53 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
First of all, I never said that religion was the definitive attribute of what was and wasn't Southern; I simply used that attribute as one example showing how the culture is different north of the Ohio River. I could have instead used architecture, accents, etc.

Second, you are wrong about Southern Indiana being "definitively Southern". There is no part of Indiana that is, or has historically, identified with the South.

This map does not agree with you about religion, either.

Note how the ancestry changes near the Ohio River

Again, Ohio River...

There were no major Civil War battles in Illinois, Indiana, or Ohio because it was not a contested area
The regional dialect map you posted is wrong, wrong, wrong, at least in the case of Southern MO having a "southern mountain" dialect.
That map indicates I should have one, based on where I am am from, and I dont, nor does anyone I have ever heard from that area.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:19 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The regional dialect map you posted is wrong, wrong, wrong, at least in the case of Southern MO having a "southern mountain" dialect.
That map indicates I should have one, based on where I am am from, and I dont, nor does anyone I have ever heard from that area.
Right! People in Philly and Pittsburgh do not sound anything a like. Philly does not have a Midland dialect. WTH?

Old 05-02-2012, 09:00 AM

374 posts, read 812,261 times
A lot more of Arkansas would be in the Deep South than indicated on that map. It includes too much of the flat lands in the "Mountain South" category.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Right! People in Philly and Pittsburgh do not sound anything a like. Philly does not have a Midland dialect. WTH?
FWIW, I've read before that the Philadelphia dialect is the precursor to "general American," which as we know is the accent of people in the Midwest in general. So maybe that is what this map is referring to. Not sure though.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Philadelphia invented the Midland dialect.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:38 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
The Mid-Atlantic Dialects

Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times

Extremely broad map. Houston and DC have the same accents. No sir. New Orleans has the same accents as Dallas? Laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.