Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think is the Divide Line between North and South?
Interstate 70 11 7.64%
U.S. Route 50 13 9.03%
Mason-Dixie Line & Ohio River 67 46.53%
U.S. Route 60 29 20.14%
Other 30 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:22 PM

95 posts, read 281,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Route 50 may make more sense; though not sure I consider WV southern which 50 would cut the state in half
I think WV is definitely southern except for northern part like Morgantown. It's a mix of Midwestern with Appalachia feeling to it like Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 12:27 PM

95 posts, read 281,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
I think I-20 is the line.
Are you kidding? You must be talking about I-40 because Atlanta, Birmingham, Jackson, Shreveport, and Dallas-Fort Worth are all on I-20.

Even I-40 (Dallas-Fort Worth, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, & Knoxville) is still in the South so it can't be the Divide Line.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:39 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,787 times
To me, the south begins in North Carolina and Tennessee.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:08 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Anything south of Fredericksburg VA is southern, IMO.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleanianLA1 View Post
What is the best possible Divide Line between the North and the South?

I disagree that the Mason-Dixie Line and the Ohio River is a good indication of the boundary between the North and the South. The U.S. Government only used it to plan out the statehood while trying to admit both free and slave states equally.

My Reasons:

Maryland and Delaware are just below the Mason-Dixie Line making them part of the South while they are absolutely not southern culturally with the exception of rural areas.

There are southern parts of several northern states, such as Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, and Ohio that feel more southern culturally.

In my own definition, the best Divide Line between the North and the South is U.S. Route 50.

U.S. Route 50 runs several miles south along I-70. Therefore, it runs south of most cities, such as Washington, D.C., Pittsburgh, south around Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Missouri cities of St. Louis and Kansas City (cities that are not southern at all or in a transitional zone like Cincinnati).

What do you think of mine? If you beg to differ, what is your Divide Line?

The purpose of this is to be a fun thread for all of us geography buffs.
In Missouri, the dividing line is US 60, not US 50.
There are a lot of communities, particularly in the SE part of the state, that are solidly Midwestern that fall below US 50.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:16 PM

374 posts, read 812,261 times
Missouri, below Springfield, is still in the South. Most of Kentucky, and southern Virginia are in the South, as well as eastern Oklahoma and most of Texas, rounding out the western border of the South. The Florida panhandle is in the South. Maryland, Deleware, Ohio, Illinois, ect., are not in the South. I can't believe anyone would even suggest Deleware. Does Joe Biden strike you as a Southerner?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:18 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleanianLA1 View Post
Although I still stand by U.S. Route 50 more than U.S. 60, I still agree with you because Cape Girardeau feels more southern despite many people claiming it to be Midwestern.

Even a smaller town of St. Genevieve is more Midwestern than CG.
There is NOTHING about Sainte Genevieve that is southern.
Trust me on that one.
The dividing line between Midwest and South is quite sudden in that particular part of MO.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
I can't believe anyone would even suggest Deleware. Does Joe Biden strike you as a Southerner?
Delaware still has a culturally southern section, which comprises less than half the population, but the vast majority of the land area (2 1/2 out of 3 counties). It's everything south of the canal, and is known as "lower and slower" Delaware. Culturally identical to Eastern Shore of Maryland, which is also still pretty southern in its own way.

The line gets harder as you get west, however. Appalachia is one big continuum. I've met people from Fayette County, Pennsylvania who have southern-sounding accents, at least to my own New England trained ears. Certainly a large portion of southern Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois is thought of as culturally southern.

Really though, the issue is there's a third U.S. culture and dialect - the Midland - which often gets short shrift. People in the upper interior South and Lower Midwest are generally in this group. It's all the area, essentially, along the Ohio River watershed, which was originally settled from Virginia.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:48 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Delaware still has a culturally southern section, which comprises less than half the population, but the vast majority of the land area (2 1/2 out of 3 counties). It's everything south of the canal, and is known as "lower and slower" Delaware. Culturally identical to Eastern Shore of Maryland, which is also still pretty southern in its own way.

The line gets harder as you get west, however. Appalachia is one big continuum. I've met people from Fayette County, Pennsylvania who have southern-sounding accents, at least to my own New England trained ears. Certainly a large portion of southern Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois is thought of as culturally southern.

Really though, the issue is there's a third U.S. culture and dialect - the Midland - which often gets short shrift. People in the upper interior South and Lower Midwest are generally in this group. It's all the area, essentially, along the Ohio River watershed, which was originally settled from Virginia.
The upper interior south and lower midwest are not the same regions. I don't choose any of these options. My vote is U.S. 50 from its beginning to Parkersburg, then the Ohio River to where it flows into the Mississippi, and roughly U.S. 60 all the way west to the Texas-New Mexico border from there.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:50 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Southern-sounding accents and southern accents are different..i've never heard these accents in Pennsylvania. South Midland dialect is not Southern...it's considered exclusive to the Midwest and parts of the southern section of the Mid-Atlantic (not including Virginia...Virginia is more Southeast/South Atlantic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.