Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most gay friendly state/ area of US?
California 56 30.60%
New York state 14 7.65%
Texas 3 1.64%
Illinois 2 1.09%
Florida 7 3.83%
New England (ct, vt, maine, mass, ri) 56 30.60%
Maryland/ Virginia 2 1.09%
Colorado 1 0.55%
Hawaii 4 2.19%
South eastern states (georgia, sc, nc, tennessee) 2 1.09%
Washington state 10 5.46%
Oklahoma, kansas, Nebraska, SD, ND 2 1.09%
Minnesota 6 3.28%
Arizona 3 1.64%
Other that are not listed 11 6.01%
I think it's the same everywhere 4 2.19%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 12:25 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,270,098 times

Advertisements

So there has been a lot of threads about gay friendly cities but what about states in general?
Which state do you think is the most open minded in the country?
We all know that San Francisco and NYC are gayfriendly but is the rest of New York also so nice towards gay, lesbian and trans people?
I think states in New England tend to be more open mineded than the rest of the country but i also consider California to be quiet gay friendly too.
What about the south? Any states over there that are gay friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 01:21 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
With the exception of Mississippi and Alabama, most states in the south are pretty gay friendly contrary to popular belief. The liberal leftist in Hollywood has slandered the south for decades with propaganda films and tv shows making it seem like all the south was backwards, racist, and homophobic. But it's really the opposite. I mean granted, people might not agree with your lifestyle based off their values and religious beliefs but they have that right and that's everywhere really. I guarantee you nobody is going to say anything to you though.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:47 PM

343 posts, read 933,098 times
Even though I voted in this poll, I mostly think it's sort of a strange question. I would bet that EVERY state has an extremely wide range of gay friendly communities such that some places in Mississippi are more gay friendly than some places in California. Certainly, average gay friendliness will be higher in California, perhaps, than Mississippi, but characterizing an entire state is dangerous.

The primary reason why characterizing states by gay friendliness is strange is that you don't have to live in the entire state. You live in a city, and most of your day-to-day experience will depend on the friendliness and open-mindedness of the local area. But of course, we should not overlook the negative impacts of statewide marriage bans for same-sex couples.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:55 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
So there has been a lot of threads about gay friendly cities but what about states in general?
We all know that San Francisco and NYC are gayfriendly but is the rest of New York also so nice towards gay, lesbian and trans people?
I think states in New England tend to be more open mineded than the rest of the country but i also consider California to be quiet gay friendly too.
I attended a small college in rural Northern NY state and they had a gay mayor so I'd say the rest of the state is generally open.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:17 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
States as a whole? No

Individual cities? Yes

Gay friendly Southern cities in no particular order:

Atlanta
Austin
Dallas
Houston
Miami
New Orleans

Old 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,231,551 times
^^^
Add, Raleigh-Durham- and especially Chapel Hill, NC

Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I attended a small college in rural Northern NY state and they had a gay mayor so I'd say the rest of the state is generally open.
So what?

Houston has a gay mayor too...does that make the whole state of Texas gay friendly? No is the answer

I know that Rochester is not gay friendly and most of the rest of the upstate areas are pretty unfriendly to gays as well

Outside of Manhattan and Ithaca, NY state is not gay friendly

Overall, the New England region, especially Vermont and most of Mass is the best in this regard

Old 04-23-2012, 03:48 PM

10,755 posts, read 23,836,665 times
New Mexico was left off the poll (yet AZ alone on this poll ). Santa Fe is one of the most gay friendly cities you'll ever find in the US and probably the most gay friendly in the Southwest. They even have a gay retirement community here. Probably not the best for those in their twenties or the ones that love to party and hook up but for the ones who've outgrown that stage of life and gravitate toward art, creativity, and good restaurants without having the ratrace of a big city Santa Fe is great for that. Albuquerque is pretty live and let live also. New Mexico is pretty good, one of the best in the interior West for sure.

For statewide I'd say Massachusetts or Vermont. One could live openly gay in just about any big city, small city, suburb, small town, or rural area in most every part of those states.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:09 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
So what?

I know that Rochester is not gay friendly and most of the rest of the upstate areas are pretty unfriendly to gays as well
Well that is just false.... along with most of your other posts about the area. I know some people that the Bachelor Forum and Avenue pub that would strongly disagree with you

Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Well that is just false.... along with most of your other posts about the area. I know some people that the Bachelor Forum and Avenue pub that would strongly disagree with you

I know alot more people that would disagree with you

I understand you are a Rochester homer and like the place and have never lived elsewhere.... but to be as intellectually dishonest as you are is not good for the few that might want to relocate there and hear the truth....

Try thinking for yourself and take the blinders off....you know that the ONLY reason why NY gets anything done progressively these days is because of NYC influence and the fact that 65% of the states population lives there.... not because the backward folks in Western NY support it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.