Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,554 times

Advertisements

This is kind of a weird question... Are there places to live in the United States where people can get around, do grocery shopping, etc mostly by boat? Is this possible?

I don't mean virtually deserted islands with 12 residents. I mean medium sized towns, suburbs, etc where people live along the water and stores back up to the water? Ocean, river, or lake...

Anyone live this way? Where? Just wondering if this exists anywhere.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 05:43 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Fort Lauderdale is the closest fit I can think of. Fort Lauderdale: Venice of America

Old 04-19-2012, 08:14 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,511 times
Southeast Alaska.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:19 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Seattle.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
There are Louisiana areas where there is a line of houses on one side of a bayou, with no road access on that side, and they have to park their car across the road and take a boat across the bayou to get to their house. I presume they could also take the same boat to a nearby town, but mostly, they just boat across to their car. I can't remember exactly where they are, but I've seen them.

That's not exactly what you're describing, but it's the closest thing I can think of.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Seattle.
Yes, there are people doing this in much of the Puget Sound area, but also, in the Suisun Bay/Delta, east of San Francisco, Martinez to Oakley.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:54 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
I love boats, and there are lots of places where a good many people have boats to tool around, sightsee, maybe go get dinner or a drink, etc. There are also a lot of places that have regular ferry service. And there are certainly people who live places where they take their boats to get to town, but then the town has a more normal structure.

But motorized boats are not generally a very efficient form of transportation for short distances. They are not nearly as maneuverable as cars and you can't get anywhere close to the same amount of them in a given area as you could with cars. Since density is lower it is more difficult to have a functioning town, and I can't think of anywhere that is a place to "live and work" (as opposed to resort type places) where people use boats for everyday errands.

I'll be curious to read what other people have to say.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:19 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Default Boat instead of car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeizbutaDream View Post
This is kind of a weird question... Are there places to live in the United States where people can get around, do grocery shopping, etc mostly by boat? Is this possible?

I don't mean virtually deserted islands with 12 residents. I mean medium sized towns, suburbs, etc where people live along the water and stores back up to the water? Ocean, river, or lake...

Anyone live this way? Where? Just wondering if this exists anywhere.

Thanks!
There are several places on Long Island including Fire Island Fire Island National Seashore - Fire Island National Seashore . Much of Fire Island is undeveloped but there are several communities on the island which are reachable by ferry or private boat across the Great South Bay. Once on the island, you bring your belongings from the dock/store to your house by wagon.

Private cars are not allowed on most of the island. This is great because you can walk and bike in the streets and it is much safer for children.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Block Island, RI

Shelter Island, NY

Old 04-21-2012, 12:47 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
The site has a list for people taking ferryboats to work, but that's probably not quite the same.

https://www.city-data.com/top2/h35.html

The "Thousand Islands" have also been called "the Venice of America."

Thousand Islands and St. Lawrence River, "the Venice of America": 121 ... - Google Books

Algonac, Michigan's been called "The Venice of Michigan" for whatever that's worth.

City of Algonac, Michigan

Then maybe there's this, but it seems not quite what you're asking.

The Top 5 Boating Cities in America - iExplore: Adventure & Luxury Travel Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.