Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:26 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times

Advertisements

I pick both to live in....move to Texas. Northern Tx is midwestern and west texas is the west. Some say South texas is the south but I dont buy it. Affordable common sense place to live. Its not disneyland just a down home place to call home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 04:14 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I pick both to live in....move to Texas. Northern Tx is midwestern and west texas is the west. Some say South texas is the south but I dont buy it. Affordable common sense place to live. Its not disneyland just a down home place to call home
Northern Texas is just as southern as southern Texas, which are both more than southern enough to be southern. If culture, climate, and linguistics aren't enough, you obviously are in denial.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:47 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
The West, but NOT the Intermountain West (NV, ID, MT, WY, CO, AZ and NM), and then only the Los Angeles area (I don't like San Francisco and San Diego).

Would take a FEW Midwestern cities over most cities in the Intermountain West, with the exception of Denver, and even that's a big "maybe."

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-19-2012 at 05:08 PM..

Old 04-19-2012, 05:35 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The West, but NOT the Intermountain West (NV, ID, MT, WY, CO, AZ and NM), and then only the Los Angeles area (I don't like San Francisco and San Diego).

Would take a FEW Midwestern cities over most cities in the Intermountain West, with the exception of Denver, and even that's a big "maybe."
Coastal California if you got the $$$. Los Angeles, bay, SD in that order. I'd take Chicago over PacNor or the mountain/desert cities. The climate in Chicago sucks big time but it actually has big city amenities. Even the "big" cities in those regions like Seattle, Denver and Phoenix feel isolated. They are dramatically beautiful (especially Seattle, Portland, SLC) but to live there? Nah....

Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I've only lived in the mid-west out of the two but I'm moving to the west in 2 months. In my opinion, the west could never beat the mid-west in values, community, and culture.
A lot of midwesterners transplanted to the west, especially in socal and pheonix. You can see the influence there. IMO, mid-western values are all about pretending you're 'normal.' You got all these people caught up and projecting to everyone outside that they're the perfect family they sorta believe it themselves lol

Old 04-19-2012, 05:53 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
IMO, mid-western values are all about pretending you're 'normal.' You got all these people caught up and projecting to everyone outside that they're the perfect family they sorta believe it themselves
Ha ha. Never thought of it that way, but investing in that image of normalcy is pretty mainstream.

Case in point - the FB pages of people I know from the Midwest are so much more tame than those of people from LA, NY, Fla, or even Atlanta.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:04 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
That's some funny stuff right there.

Compared to the Midwest it is WAY more expensive. Anyplace that measures lot size in square feet isn't for most people in the Midwest who measure them in acres or parts of acres. (I have what is a small lot at 1/2 an acre in town... that is about 22,000 square feet or about 5X larger than what I see on average in Huntington Beach on Realtor.com)
Of course it is more expensive than the mid west.
But its not unaffordable. it is worth it.

I had a 2200 sf (plus finished basement) house on 1/2 acre in Lake Saint Louis about 1/2 mile form the docks.

I now have a 1400sf condo about 1/2 mile from the harbour in Huntington Beach. Both cost about the same.

But I only pay about 35 dollars/month for gas and electric (and that includes heating). In Missouri it was well over $120 in the summer and $250 in the winter)

I enjoy almost 300 days of 70 degree weather, the smell of the ocean, the amount of amenities, clubs, restaurants that are walking distance. the people here are more genuine, less judgmental.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:25 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I'm sorry, but there's nothing Midwestern about Texas.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Ha ha. Never thought of it that way, but investing in that image of normalcy is pretty mainstream.

Case in point - the FB pages of people I know from the Midwest are so much more tame than those of people from LA, NY, Fla, or even Atlanta.
I think the phrase you're looking for is "down to earth". I would say that the people who go out partying all the time and attempt to project some image of "Hey, I'm awesome because I live on the West Coast" is entirely more about proving something than anything that comes out of the Midwest.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Of course it is more expensive than the mid west.
But its not unaffordable. it is worth it.

I had a 2200 sf (plus finished basement) house on 1/2 acre in Lake Saint Louis about 1/2 mile form the docks.

I now have a 1400sf condo about 1/2 mile from the harbour in Huntington Beach. Both cost about the same.

But I only pay about 35 dollars/month for gas and electric (and that includes heating). In Missouri it was well over $120 in the summer and $250 in the winter)

I enjoy almost 300 days of 70 degree weather, the smell of the ocean, the amount of amenities, clubs, restaurants that are walking distance. the people here are more genuine, less judgmental.
This is called irony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.