Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 06:49 AM

870 posts, read 1,569,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
I was born in 1990 and got neutral

Which American accent do you have?

My Results:

Neutral You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.
Me too...I grew up in north-central West Virginia and southwestern Pennsylvania. I spent a couple of years in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothesky View Post
Take this test and tell me what result you get.

Quiz - Which American accent do you have? - YouThink.com

I took this test and this is the result.

Neutral
You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

I am from the South.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:17 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,231 times
One thing about those quizes, is that your perception of how you speak is affected by seeing the words for people without strong accents (but where the accent exists). However, if someone asked you, "What's a synonym for 'Dad' that begins with an 'F,'" and recorded your answer and then continued to ask questions in this manner, you may end up with different results. One example, was that a few years ago, I would have thought that I pronounced "can" (as in tin can) and "can" (as in able) the same. However, it was eventually pointed out to me (using the question-asking method) that in normal speech (i.e. without thinking about it), I actually pronounce them differently. (Further thinking about it reminded me that I used to sing a commercial for Shop-Rite as "ken you do the cann cann?").

Anyway, to answer the question, of course there are regional dialects in kids born after 1989. It may not be as strong or easily identifiable, but it still exists. More to the point, the Northern Vowel Shift is changing the way the north speaks (and as a result, changing the way Americans speak). See this article here: Northern Cities Vowel Shift: How Americans in the Great Lakes region are revolutionizing English. - Slate Magazine

On a tangent, I recently learned that one of the traits of the Philadelphia accent (and I think Baltimore too), a particular pronunciation of vowels like o, is also known as the Southern Vowel Shift and that Philadelphia is the farthest north this goes. I don't think I'd ever have noticed it, except that I met a guy from Alabama who I'm sure thought he had no regional accent (he pronounced all his Rs, didn't have a twang, etc.). But when he pronounced "phone" and "home," I thought he was either from Philadelphia or somehow picked up a exaggerated Philadelphia accent (his version sounded too extreme).

Old 08-22-2012, 04:57 PM

581 posts, read 969,228 times
Tried that quiz:
Southern
People used to hate Southern accents but now everyone wants one.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:47 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Tried that quiz:
Southern
People used to hate Southern accents but now everyone wants one.
Except me.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:46 PM

581 posts, read 969,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Except me.
I don't think the "everyone wants one" thing is really true. Maybe among younger folks but in my experience it's still looked down upon outside of the south.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
I don't think the "everyone wants one" thing is really true. Maybe among younger folks but in my experience it's still looked down upon outside of the south.
Yeah it is. It sounds incredibly uneducated. Some people who have really thick Southern accents are undecipherable.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,877,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
On a tangent, I recently learned that one of the traits of the Philadelphia accent (and I think Baltimore too), a particular pronunciation of vowels like o, is also known as the Southern Vowel Shift and that Philadelphia is the farthest north this goes. I don't think I'd ever have noticed it, except that I met a guy from Alabama who I'm sure thought he had no regional accent (he pronounced all his Rs, didn't have a twang, etc.). But when he pronounced "phone" and "home," I thought he was either from Philadelphia or somehow picked up a exaggerated Philadelphia accent (his version sounded too extreme).
As in "pheune, "heume?"

Old 08-22-2012, 08:34 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Yeah it is. It sounds incredibly uneducated. Some people who have really thick Southern accents are undecipherable.

You dont like southern accents, that is fine. I dont think its fair when people say it sounds uneducated, that unfortuneatly is an accepted stereotype of the south. Personally I dont like northeast accents, that Jersey-New York accent drives me nuts. I dont think people there are any more educated than those of the south. I highly doubt those Jersey shore characters with the thick accents we all have seen on tv are educated either. Oh Im not from the south either, im from the upper midwest.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You dont like southern accents, that is fine. I dont think its fair when people say it sounds uneducated, that unfortuneatly is an accepted stereotype of the south. Personally I dont like northeast accents, that Jersey-New York accent drives me nuts. I dont think people there are any more educated than those of the south. I highly doubt those Jersey shore characters with the thick accents we all have seen on tv are educated either. Oh Im not from the south either, im from the upper midwest.
Lol if Jersey Shore is all you know about the northeast, then your opinion is invalid.

No offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.