Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2019, 12:55 PM

834 posts, read 1,023,217 times

Advertisements

$1.98 avg here in Piedmont of NC..

If you're the type who can figure out anything I challenge you to break down how your local gas station sets it's prices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 10:54 AM

30,707 posts, read 80,076,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
$1.98 avg here in Piedmont of NC..

If you're the type who can figure out anything I challenge you to break down how your local gas station sets it's prices
They look at the sign across the street or down the road and copy it. However our most local station adds 10 cents - because they can. The only other station on the island is full service and sells real gas (no ethanol) so it is mongo expensive. Even though the bridges are less than 1/3 mile long and it takes seconds to cross, there is a psychological barrier. So, the one "normal" gas station on the island has a semi-monopoly. It also helps that they leave their pumps on 24/7 regardless of whether they officially open.

Right now, we are bouncing around from 1.89 - 2.09. You pay 10 cents more per gallon for credit card or ATM card use. That is funny, because some places only take credit cards, no cash - at least part of the time. Posted rates are usually cash price. Sometimes they post both. Places with a car wash give you 20 - 50 cents a gallon discount if you get a car wash. Shell and Mobil have clubs you can sign up for and save 5 cents to 10 cents a gallon, however they are usually more expensive to begin with. Beach Polluter is consistently more expensive in many locations.

I did not look today. It changes just about every day. Sometimes multiple times in one day.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:33 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,080,860 times
gas is still high here and always will be thanks to the greedy govt.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:57 PM

899 posts, read 640,223 times
Gas prices have dropped noticeably in the past month. Yesterday, I filled up in the suburbs of Chicago and paid $2.03 for regular unleaded. In Illinois, the local sales tax can be added to the federal and state gasoline taxes. So, considering the several tiers of taxes that are charged here for gas, this is a very low price for the Chicago area.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:35 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,771,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
In my case, the points are through a grocery chain (King Sooper's, AKA Kroger) that have gas stations. For every dollar spent you get a point. Each 100 points gives you .10 off a gallon of gas, up to $1/gal off.
https://www.bargainblessings.com/kin...eward-program/
This is metro Denver. I know it's done other places as well, e.g. Omaha where I have some family.
Thanks for the response. None of our grocery stores sell gas but I should still check if my grocery store has a fuel savings program.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:15 PM

834 posts, read 1,023,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They look at the sign across the street or down the road and copy it. However our most local station adds 10 cents - because they can. The only other station on the island is full service and sells real gas (no ethanol) so it is mongo expensive. Even though the bridges are less than 1/3 mile long and it takes seconds to cross, there is a psychological barrier. So, the one "normal" gas station on the island has a semi-monopoly. It also helps that they leave their pumps on 24/7 regardless of whether they officially open.

Right now, we are bouncing around from 1.89 - 2.09. You pay 10 cents more per gallon for credit card or ATM card use. That is funny, because some places only take credit cards, no cash - at least part of the time. Posted rates are usually cash price. Sometimes they post both. Places with a car wash give you 20 - 50 cents a gallon discount if you get a car wash. Shell and Mobil have clubs you can sign up for and save 5 cents to 10 cents a gallon, however they are usually more expensive to begin with. Beach Polluter is consistently more expensive in many locations.

I did not look today. It changes just about every day. Sometimes multiple times in one day.
A lot of the independent Indian and Middle-East owned gas stations in the US will have rules like $4.00 minimum on debit or pay a fee. There is no POS processor who charges for that..

I bet the profit margin per gallon on the station owners end is at least 60% on the entire North America continent..

Old 01-03-2019, 01:25 PM

21,808 posts, read 13,002,301 times
As low as $1.91 in suburbs of Baltimore. Avg-$2.05-2.09

Old 01-03-2019, 01:45 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,482,905 times
Quote:
A lot of the independent Indian and Middle-East owned gas stations in the US will have rules like $4.00 minimum on debit or pay a fee. There is no POS processor who charges for that..

I bet the profit margin per gallon on the station owners end is at least 60% on the entire North America continent..
I can’t comment on the profit margin of a gas station, but I can tell you processors will charge nearly .25c for every debit card transaction, no matter the amount, on top of its rate. Mileage and rewards CC are also killers for businesses that do many small transactions. I have a bar and a restaurant and I have switched processors many times but there’s no way around it seeing there’s only a few exchanges that every processor goes through.

It’s easy for people to get mad that don’t understand and larger companies to absorb it, but it can tough on those with small margins to begin with. Trust me I get it and still get mad when stopping in a liquor store for a beverage or snack and don’t have cash or use ARCO for gas and get charged the .35c

Old 01-03-2019, 01:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,807 posts, read 81,772,341 times
Quote:

The average gas retailer (station) makes about 5 cents per gallon, while the government makes about 50 cents from the taxes.

https://www.convenience.org/Topics/F...ice-Per-Gallon

Old 01-04-2019, 03:10 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,080,860 times
$2.94 regular unleaded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.