Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:17 PM

27 posts, read 39,576 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Atlanta and am now looking to find the next chapter of my life by going out to be in someplace new and refreshing. I'll cut right to the chase and share what I want out of a new place to live:

Primary:
-It MUST be warm almost year round (Preferred a winter low in the 50s but the 40s are fine too)
-Inexpensive rent (average of $500 would be ideal but more or less by $200 works as well)
-It should be sunny most days. I have Seasonal Affective Disorder so cloudy and rainy days bring me down quite a lot.

Notes:
-It does not have to be in or near a major city but it would be a plus.
-When I lived in Los Angeles, I surfed for over 12 years. It'd be nice to be at least a day trip away from the beach though again it's only another plus and not necessary.
-Having Public Transportation is a plus though I have my own car.
-Having relatively friendly people is another great plus. I have an open mind but it makes things so much easier when the people aren't too difficult.
-It'd be nice to have basic things to go out and do (restaurants, movies, activities) though it doesn't have to be anything over the top like New York or L.A. because I'm the type of person to stay in than go out most nights.
-A healthy and active place is a plus too.
-It can be rural or urban. It does not matter to me. I grew up in L.A. but I also grew up an Eagle Scout outside of it.

Hope I can get some replies for this. I'd truly appreciate it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 09:19 PM

441 posts, read 886,939 times
Mobile, AL?

Not sure on the cost of living but it'd be warmer than here, nearby, and being still in the south should still have Southern Hospitality, as well as a coast / nearby access to beaches?

Old 02-20-2012, 09:34 PM

27 posts, read 39,576 times
Thing about Mobile is it's high in southern culture for my taste. No offense to southerners but I grew up with a west coast California mind. I don't think I'd fit in since I'm not into hunting or anything like that already popular down there.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:42 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
I doubt very many people in Mobile hunt. LOL

Anyways, Mobile wouldn't be a good fit because it gets cold here too, down in the 20's several times this year already.

I don't know, somewhere around San Diego maybe?

Old 02-20-2012, 09:58 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,907,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saibasabu View Post
I currently live in Atlanta and am now looking to find the next chapter of my life by going out to be in someplace new and refreshing. I'll cut right to the chase and share what I want out of a new place to live:

Primary:
-It MUST be warm almost year round (Preferred a winter low in the 50s but the 40s are fine too)
-Inexpensive rent (average of $500 would be ideal but more or less by $200 works as well)
-It should be sunny most days. I have Seasonal Affective Disorder so cloudy and rainy days bring me down quite a lot.

Notes:
-It does not have to be in or near a major city but it would be a plus.
-When I lived in Los Angeles, I surfed for over 12 years. It'd be nice to be at least a day trip away from the beach though again it's only another plus and not necessary.
-Having Public Transportation is a plus though I have my own car.
-Having relatively friendly people is another great plus. I have an open mind but it makes things so much easier when the people aren't too difficult.
-It'd be nice to have basic things to go out and do (restaurants, movies, activities) though it doesn't have to be anything over the top like New York or L.A. because I'm the type of person to stay in than go out most nights.
-A healthy and active place is a plus too.
-It can be rural or urban. It does not matter to me. I grew up in L.A. but I also grew up an Eagle Scout outside of it.

Hope I can get some replies for this. I'd truly appreciate it! Thanks!
Sounds like South Florida is calling your name. Never cold and it doesn't have the Southern influence you were saying you didn't want. Either that or return to LA.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:10 PM

398 posts, read 752,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I doubt very many people in Mobile hunt. LOL

Anyways, Mobile wouldn't be a good fit because it gets cold here too, down in the 20's several times this year already.

I don't know, somewhere around San Diego maybe?
That is only a few days though, Atlanta is "highs" in the 50s, and several "highs" in the 30s...... and sunnier than Atlanta. I know exactly what this guy is talking about. The Gulf Coast *anywhere* is significantly warmer than Atlanta in the winter and way less grey. I was just discussing this in another thread.

wunderground.com tells all.

I would say somewhere in Texas/AZ/FL...

cBach, somewhere like Austin isn't near as southern as Mobile though... nor is Atlanta, god...

Old 02-21-2012, 04:10 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,606,950 times
For surfing and lower rents the atlantic side of Florida is your spot. The gulf doesn't have big enough waves.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:44 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,027,279 times
South Florida (basically anything south of Jupiter) is far too expensive for your rental budget. The Space Coast would fit most of your criteria plus it's in your price range and has some great surfing options. Check out Melbourne which has a fair amount of things to do (restaurants/bars/shopping) as well as outdoor recreation and public transit.

Melbourne, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welcome to Melbourne Main Street! | DowntownMelbourne.com
Space Coast Area Transit Brevard
Melbourne Beach Surf Report, Surf Forecast and Surf Webcams
Average Weather for Melbourne, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 02-21-2012, 06:05 AM

23,489 posts, read 44,146,303 times
What about Pensacola, FL? It meets your criteria, and the large military population mitigates any overt southern culture.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:11 AM

23,489 posts, read 44,146,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
South Florida (basically anything south of Jupiter) is far too expensive for your rental budget. The Space Coast would fit most of your criteria plus it's in your price range and has some great surfing options. Check out Melbourne which has a fair amount of things to do (restaurants/bars/shopping) as well as outdoor recreation and public transit.

Melbourne, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welcome to Melbourne Main Street! | DowntownMelbourne.com
Space Coast Area Transit Brevard
Melbourne Beach Surf Report, Surf Forecast and Surf Webcams
Average Weather for Melbourne, FL - Temperature and Precipitation
While I agree with this suggestion, the OP should know that Brevard County's economy has been devastated by the massive layoffs at NASA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.