Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:22 AM

65 posts, read 134,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
What if that is "who" they are happy being?
Well, if they are truly being themelves then by definition they are not posers! I genuinely like having purple in my hair; it just feels like "me" somehow. If I did it just to be cool or fit in then I would be a poser, but it isn't really the norm in my peer group. Actually I am not sure I have a peer group; I am kind of a hermit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 12:08 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasevemom View Post
Any "innovation" can be traced back to older roots that those people were ripping off. I'm not enough of a cultural expert to give specific examples for each genre of music and art, but find an expert and they will tell you! There is nothing new under the sun and never has been!
that is true but this generation takes it to a whole other level. Everything has roots but this generation just outright rips things off with no originality. With the other examples I mentioned, they were far enough away from the influences to be considered unique.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:20 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
that is true but this generation takes it to a whole other level. Everything has roots but this generation just outright rips things off with no originality. With the other examples I mentioned, they were far enough away from the influences to be considered unique.
Every generation does that though... The 60s British rock bands were copying black American blues and RnB musicians. Hiphop in the late 80s was built wholesale on samples of James Brown and George Clinton and 70s funk... Grunge in the early 90s was just a combination of punk rock and 70s metal/hard rock... At this point everything's been done before. The only things that sound somewhat new are maybe some electronic genres-- but even those just have their roots in techno or house or Jungle scenes of the 80s and 90s...

I think it's easier to replicate the past these days, because anyone can basically have instant access(for free via Youtube, even) to just about any historic genre of music... In the old days, it took a lot of dedication to really be a music geek, spending hours at record stores searching for rare classics--now days anyone with an IPhone can basically access any point in musical history. Maybe we've reached a point where every subgenre or musical fusion has been done already... In the 90s there was a point where all these underground musical sub-genres of heavy metal or punk or electronic dance music went as fast and heavy as possible--once you go to that extreme you can't go much further without the music turning into complete mush.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Every generation does that though... The 60s British rock bands were copying black American blues and RnB musicians. Hiphop in the late 80s was built wholesale on samples of James Brown and George Clinton and 70s funk... Grunge in the early 90s was just a combination of punk rock and 70s metal/hard rock... At this point everything's been done before. The only things that sound somewhat new are maybe some electronic genres-- but even those just have their roots in techno or house or Jungle scenes of the 80s and 90s...

I think it's easier to replicate the past these days, because anyone can basically have instant access(for free via Youtube, even) to just about any historic genre of music... In the old days, it took a lot of dedication to really be a music geek, spending hours at record stores searching for rare classics--now days anyone with an IPhone can basically access any point in musical history. Maybe we've reached a point where every subgenre or musical fusion has been done already... In the 90s there was a point where all these underground musical sub-genres of heavy metal or punk or electronic dance music went as fast and heavy as possible--once you go to that extreme you can't go much further without the music turning into complete mush.

the examples you listed were still far enough away from what they were influenced by to be considered somewhat unique.. Maybe with the exception of grunge and some of the 60's/70s bands that blatantly ripped off other artists(Led Zeppelin comes to mind). Today, it's just a bunch of recycled, watered down garbage.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:10 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
It has always been like that though. For example most of punk rock was heavily drawn from the Stooges album Funhouse which came out in 1970, and the Stooges were ripping off MC5.

True inspiration is very rare, most musicians and artists work from what came before them. The ones that create paradigm shifting new works often go unrecognized until after the fact. The Velvet Underground were one of the most important bands in the evolution of music in the second half of the 20th century, but when they were an active band almost nobody knew who they were.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
It has always been like that though. For example most of punk rock was heavily drawn from the Stooges album Funhouse which came out in 1970, and the Stooges were ripping off MC5.

True inspiration is very rare, most musicians and artists work from what came before them. The ones that create paradigm shifting new works often go unrecognized until after the fact. The Velvet Underground were one of the most important bands in the evolution of music in the second half of the 20th century, but when they were an active band almost nobody knew who they were.
Many people would consider those bands part of the punk movement, even though the term came about after they were established. Then you have to look at bands like Minor Threat or Bad Brains. There was nothing like that around. Nobody played that fast.
I agree that the Velvet Underground were very important and they should get more credit as they were original and influential. I can't think of many bands around today that are original though. Lots of the indie or electro pop bands out there today aren't doing anything new, which is my issue. Not to mention the image associated with modern hipsters is even more recycled than the music.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:24 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
If you have to ask if you are a hipster, chances are you aren't one.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:03 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Do you wear skinny jeans, rock big-rimmed glasses, shop at vintage stores, patronize Apple products exclusively, and have friends exactly as described?

If so, then yes--you would be a hipster, unfortunately.
Exactly. So funny, but accurate.
I like hipsters, though also secretly laugh at them. But only in a fun/kind way.

I think the term "hipster" is used with derision by anyone over 30 b/c hipsters are often young/idealistic, a bit narcissistic, and work hard to achieve a certain look that does not work in all industries (usually tech or underemployed). Or they are older and more uber-enlightened than their neighbors.

Illustrations:

Your Last-Minute Gift-Giving Problems Are Solved: Uptight Seattleite T-Shirts Are Here!! - Seattle Art - Thread Count

The Fed | 26.1: A Diagram of a Hipster

I apparently am indeed a hipster « the Merkin is Lurkin'

Ha… Explanatory Diagram of a Hipster Biker (fixtr) : Fast On 2 Wheels

Old 01-10-2012, 02:20 AM

742 posts, read 678,447 times
If you look, act like, listen to the same music as half or more of your peers, then you might be. Hipsters are pretty common now days as to why i say that. They are seen mostly with a Pabst beer, dreadlocks, tight pants, fake glasses, and an an acoustic guitar.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:30 AM

742 posts, read 678,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
Hipsters are currently like a conglomerate of kids that were previously called: Scene, Indie, Grafitti Kids, Break Dancers, Punk and Hardcore kids, Goths, Metalcore, etc. It's basically any sub genre that exist now.
Hipsters dress and listen to music of what they stole from independent "scenes" as listed above. Each scene within their scene lasts about 3 to 6 months, then they move on to destroy another.
It's like a whole bunch of Lady Gagas pretending to be non pop culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.