Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:47 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Hard to say that for Texas. I know after 11 in Houston, 610 turns into a NASCAR track.
I would agree. West loop is the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 12:12 AM

144 posts, read 270,621 times
I remember I was on Interstate 20 East going toward Atlanta once and the average speed most have been in the 80's! There was a cop sitting in the median after the Villa Rica exit and people were braking and slowing down. It messed up the rhythm of the traffic and now some were driving a little above 70, some went down to 60 or 65.

Sometimes I feel safer in a fast stream of traffic because it seems like people are more alert.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:16 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memberX View Post
I remember I was on Interstate 20 East going toward Atlanta once and the average speed most have been in the 80's! There was a cop sitting in the median after the Villa Rica exit and people were braking and slowing down. It messed up the rhythm of the traffic and now some were driving a little above 70, some went down to 60 or 65.

Sometimes I feel safer in a fast stream of traffic because it seems like people are more alert.
There seems to always be cops out on I-20 in West Georgia. Once you get in to Alabama, though, for some reason, the speed limit drops to 55.

People speed like crazy on I-85 from Montgomery to the northeast suburbs of Atlanta, though.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:32 AM

867 posts, read 2,139,610 times
TX is crazy, I was on I 35 between SA and Austin, one minute i'm getting on the freeway, next minute i'm going 85 just to keep up with the SLOW LANE

Old 10-29-2011, 10:06 AM

932 posts, read 1,177,281 times
For some reason, I found that drivers in Maryland, Delaware and the DC area to be the fastest on my last major road trip. I'm not going to say most reckless though - that would be a tie between Florida (mainly South Florida) and New Jersey.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:42 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
There seems to always be cops out on I-20 in West Georgia. Once you get in to Alabama, though, for some reason, the speed limit drops to 55.
Because somebody got creamed on I-20 in far eastern Alabama once, so the state took it upon themselves to lower the speed limit to something bogus. Of course, it enables the state patrol to take that cash under the guise of "safety."

Old 10-30-2011, 05:46 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I get frustrated because that's were all the folks driving uhauls, pulling boats and travel trailers, etc are, and they are usually going below, or just barely at the speed limit.
I try to stay in the right lane as much as possible to ease your frustration when driving the RV. And by going a couple MPH less than the speed limit people can pass me at will. I find that when your driving a 60+ foot long rig changing lanes becomes a hassle. In the city, if there's more lanes, I'll move over one trying to stay to the center for the same reason. People can pass me on the left.. but I don't have to change lanes to accommodate merging traffic either. I can't tell you how many times people merging cannot see a 45 foot rig and tow coming towards them when they are merging, talking on their cell and generally not paying attention. Until I blow the air-horn that is before they side-swipe me....

Fastest drivers: Easily Houston. But I also think Houston drivers are generally polite. They signal for the most part and allow you to merge on and off the feeder roads (which I hated at first but am now finding a general respect for and wish Atlanta would take note of.)

Worst drivers have several different categories: The Rudest was New York by far. Drive I-75 much and inevitabely a car with Michigan plates will be driving for 300 miles in the far left passing lane driving side-by side at the same speed as the car they are passing. And the slowest by any mean.. Florida. I always find that going anywhere in Florida during the day it takes 3 times as long to get there.. but after dark and the early bird special hour.. you can get anywhere you want in 1/2 the time because your the only one on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.