Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 04:33 PM

728 posts, read 975,482 times

Advertisements

Boston overall is fairly segregated but you do have some Black-White areas. Hyde Park is very diverse, you can have a Black landlord and all white tenants and vice versa. Roslindale also come to mind.

Dorchester is the largest neighborhood of Boston and the majority is Black or White but they tend to not live next to each other. But even then you have Lower Mills, Savin Hill and Fields Corner; all of which are inclusive and diverse.

Besides that though it's mostly extremes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 04:51 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Boston overall is fairly segregated but you do have some Black-White areas. Hyde Park is very diverse, you can have a Black landlord and all white tenants and vice versa. Roslindale also come to mind.

Dorchester is the largest neighborhood of Boston and the majority is Black or White but they tend to not live next to each other. But even then you have Lower Mills, Savin Hill and Fields Corner; all of which are inclusive and diverse.

What about Milton, Cambridge, Malden, Chelsea, Everett, Somerville, Medford, Lynn, Salem, Framingham, Brockton and Randolph in terms of the metro area?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-27-2014 at 04:59 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 05:51 PM

728 posts, read 975,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Milton, Cambridge, Malden, Chelsea, Everett, Somerville, Medford, Lynn, Salem, Framingham, Brockton and Randolph in terms of the metro area?
I wasn't sure if I could include them since the OP was about neighborhoods! Milton is racially (Black & White) diverse but socioeconomically segregated. But White and Black people do live next to each other on the side near Mattapan.

Cambridge, Somerville, Medford and Framingham are also mixed. But not overwhelmingly Black, so it's easy for the neighborhoods to be intergrated. I'd throw Waltham, Canton, Holbrook and Stoughton in there too.

Randolph, Lynn and Malden are like Hyde Park. I'll see if I can find the Census data but these towns have great stats in regards to the "Dissimilarity" index for neighbors (Neighbors do not resemble each other racially/culturally).

Brockton is kind of segregated. Yes the city is majority Black-White. Whites tend to live near the city line (Near Easton, Stoughton, Avon, or Holbrook) or Westside. Blacks and Latinos everywhere else.

Chelsea is very Hispanic and Italian, and Everett is mostly Italian and Latino; with a small West Indian population. So i'm not sure how to put them in context with the OP but i'm sure another EMass contributor will come along.

As for Salem, i'm not even sure; Haven't really been to that city. Nor do I know many folks from there.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:24 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
DC:

Capitol Hill
Navy Yard
Southwest
Logan Circle
Adams Morgan
Shaw
Petworth
Brightwood Park
16th Street Heights
Trinidad (Somewhat)
The Historic Uniontown section of Anacostia
Brookland
North Michigan Park
Woodbridge
LeDroit Park
Kingman Park
Atlas District
Columbia Heights
Shepherd Park
Takoma

Last edited by tcave360; 03-27-2014 at 06:40 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 06:28 PM

Baltimore:

Pigtown
Mount Vernon
Charles Village

To name a few.

Last edited by tcave360; 03-27-2014 at 06:40 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 06:38 PM

Here in PG County:

Bowie
Laurel
Beltsville
Adelphi
Colmar Manor
Cottage City
Fort Washington (Mainly the historic Tantallon community)
Brandywine (Where I live, and my neighborhood is very diverse)
Greenbelt
Mount Rainier
City of Hyattsville
Cheverly
University Park
University Town Center/PG Plaza
Riverdale Park

Just to name a few.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:44 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
In Detroit, Southwest Detroit, the University District, Corktown, East English Village, Warrendale, Delray, Palmer Woods and Sherwood Forest are the best choices in this regard. For suburbs, Southfield, Lathrup Village, Oak Park, Ecorse, River Rouge, Hamtramck, Harper Woods, Mount Clemens, Redford, Farmington/Farmington Hills, Belleville, Romulus and Plymouth would fit, with perhaps select areas of several others.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:31 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post

I definitely agree with Roslindale, Hyde Park, and Dorchester.

I'd add Mission Hill, the South End.

Maybe Allston and the West End too (though those nabes are more white/Asian/Hispanic than black/white.)

Old 03-27-2014, 11:46 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,173 times
Most of the working class neighborhoods in Minneapolis and St Paul proper are mixed black, white, Latino, Asian and Somali. In Minneapolis it would be the North Side, Phillips, Powderhorn, Cedar Riverside, Lyndale, Whittier, and Stevens Square. In St Paul: Midway, Frogtown, the East Side, the West Side and the North End. There are only a handful of census tracts in Twin Cities that are over 60% black. 25% to 50% is more common and most of those tracts also have significant white populations.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 03-28-2014 at 12:09 AM..

Old 05-01-2014, 02:54 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Hyde Park, Roslindale, Dorchester, Jamaica Plain in Boston have authentic mixes. Dorchester and Roslindale, the most so. Hyde Park is predominately black and Jamaica Plain predominately white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.