Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:50 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times

Advertisements

For many Americans the only chance they travel is when the military stations them in a foreign country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 11:27 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
The stereotype is generally true except for Americans that are immigrants or of recent immigrant descent when we are comparing the US to other developed countries.

Also, southern California is one of the most cosmopolitan areas of the US so I think your sample is skewed (aside from other sorts of skewing that comes from using OK Cupid as the sample).

Old 08-29-2011, 11:38 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The stereotype is generally true except for Americans that are immigrants or of recent immigrant descent when we are comparing the US to other developed countries.
That depends. UK, Ireland, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and Canada (outside of Quebec anyway) don't do that well on second-language knowledge. Even in Europe, knowledge of second languages varies greatly.

For example, here are some stats for second language knowledge of English in Europe:

File:English foreign and second language EU.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Places like France, Italy, Spain and Portugal don't rank that highly, when you consider they are located on a very linguistically diverse continent and how many English-speaking tourists they get.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:52 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That depends. UK, Ireland, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and Canada (outside of Quebec anyway) don't do that well on second-language knowledge. Even in Europe, knowledge of second languages varies greatly.

For example, here are some stats for second language knowledge of English in Europe:

File:English foreign and second language EU.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Places like France, Italy, Spain and Portugal don't rank that highly, when you consider they are located on a very linguistically diverse continent and how many English-speaking tourists they get.
According to that graph, almost 40% of French people speak English as a second language. I would assume that's more than the % of Canadians who speak French as a second language, for example. In Spain, over 20% of the population speaks English. That's probably more that the % of Americans who speak Spanish as a second language.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:43 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
According to that graph, almost 40% of French people speak English as a second language. I would assume that's more than the % of Canadians who speak French as a second language, for example. In Spain, over 20% of the population speaks English. That's probably more that the % of Americans who speak Spanish as a second language.
Indeed, that's why I put the caveat in there "when consider where they are located and how many tourists they get..."

It is far better than in the U.S., you are right. And better than second-language knowledge in Australia, Japan, New Zealand...

As for the U.S., I think that knowledge of Spanish among non-Hispanic population is somewhere around 5%. And this is the number one second language.

As for Canada, among "English Canadians", knowledge of French is around 9%, although it drops to 7% if you take the fairly bilingual group of English Canadians living in Quebec (a majority French speaking society) out of the overall equation for Canada.

I believe that the % of Britons who can speak French is higher than the English Canadian number, probably in the 10% range at least.

But one final point - Not all continents and regions of the world are created equally when it comes to learning multiple languages. Europe is one of the best on this front. But there are large areas of the world other than the U.S. where almost everyone tends to be monolingual. Many countries in Latin America are like this, for example.

Last edited by Acajack; 08-29-2011 at 12:55 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,239 times
Default Americans speak English unless their parents taught them their native tongue,

I've lived in three different states. The people of one came from a diverse background and loved to travel. The people in another state traveled a great deal in the US and Canada but not over "the big pond". The third state had the most homebodies. I met people who hadn't been more than 100 miles from home (No they do not live in the isolated areas) and considered a trip to another state major lifetime trip.

I've seen American's overseas and it does NOT make me proud to be one. Many have no intention of attempting to speak the local language and expect other countries to be like America. I don't think it is really arrogance, they just don't realize how much they take for granted in America.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:01 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

I believe that the % of Britons who can speak French is higher than the English Canadian number, probably in the 10% range at least.
Sounds a bit optimistic to me. French is the most popular foreign language at school and always has been, but since it only became compulsory to study a foreign language for three years at school (was five in my day only ten years ago) and the level is pretty low at that, the % who can speak it is probably going to fall. I'd guess 20-25% or so might be able to read a menu or introduce themselves but as for the amount who can actually maintain a decent conversation, perhaps 5%? There's still some antipathy towards having to learn foreign languages in schools here.

GCSE results: French 'no longer a popular subject' - Telegraph

Old 08-29-2011, 01:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I've lived all over the US and in Europe. I used to speak French fluently but years of having no one to talk to have considerably limited my ability. I'm sure if I moved back there tomorrow, I would be OK and pick it all back up again.

I speak tourist German, Italian, and Spanish. I can ask for directions, bathrooms, and order from a menu. Basic hello, thank you, limited conversation.

I love to travel. I'll go anywhere.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:03 PM

230 posts, read 905,149 times
Southern California is filled with first and second generation immigrants who usually speak thier parents language at home and have travelled to visit relative in other parts of the world. This would probably be the main reason you would see a different profiles of people who have traveled and speak other languages. When I went to university in LA many people couldn't get it into thier head that: no I don't have any relatives in foreign countries and no I don't have another nationality other than American.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:06 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Here they are:

american stupidity - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.