Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 06:06 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I think sometimes we need to make a distinction between "physically rural" and "shared rural American culture."

Physically rural areas exist all over the country. For example, I can drive ten minutes in most directions and be in farmland. Does anybody here think that those areas, or the people that live in them, are southern? Of course not (I'm in Michigan.) About the only difference I notice is that they get more snow days in the winter.

However, there is a relatively recent development of what I'll call "shared rural American culture." I think it's propagated by country music and closely associated cultural activities (such as cowboy and/or camo gear, NASCAR, or maybe even towns coming together for high school football games.) Those ideals are heavily influenced by southern culture, even in areas and individuals that are not in the South. Not all rural people or Southerners for that matter subscribe to this culture, and there are many northern suburbanites who do. So I think that's where the whole idea that "rural = southern" comes from.
Well said -- I think that's a very astute observation. It does seem that there is a trend across the country for rural residents to play up their "ruralness" to the point of exagerration, which is expressed in habits and activities stereotypically associated with the South (i.e., listening to country music, NASCAR watching, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 06:09 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
At one time the rural-areas did have more in the way of non-country music. Like when I was a kid in the eighties you had John Cougar Mellencamp, he still had the Cougar in there then, singing about small towns and pink houses and all. And there was other of what's called "Heartland Rock." In fact the kids in my little town mostly didn't care for country music back then. (Although many of them/us were into more urban styles of Rock like the British New Wave or what have you)

For whatever reason that bubble burst a little and country music got big. Some of it also started sounding like Boogie or old Rock&Roll. Granted those things are also of largely Southern origin.

Still I would say that not only is much of rural America not Southern but also you can likely still find rural American places that dislike Southern accents and the like. The Dakotas, Iowa, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, and Vermont are listed by the census as among the most rural states in the nation. Even the people in those states that watch NASCAR and like country music may not really identify with the South.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:22 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
At one time the rural-areas did have more in the way of non-country music. Like when I was a kid in the eighties you had John Cougar Mellencamp, he still had the Cougar in there then, singing about small towns and pink houses and all. And there was other of what's called "Heartland Rock." In fact the kids in my little town mostly didn't care for country music back then. (Although many of them/us were into more urban styles of Rock like the British New Wave or what have you)

For whatever reason that bubble burst a little and country music got big. Some of it also started sounding like Boogie or old Rock&Roll. Granted those things are also of largely Southern origin.
Before that there was Southern Rock (Lynyrd Skynyrd sp?) which was hardly "country". I'm sure there were other bands, but that was before my time.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:08 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Well said -- I think that's a very astute observation. It does seem that there is a trend across the country for rural residents to play up their "ruralness" to the point of exagerration, which is expressed in habits and activities stereotypically associated with the South (i.e., listening to country music, NASCAR watching, etc.).
Country music is the number one genre, by number of radio stations. It's highly popular regardless of where one lives.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:18 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Not only doesn't rural = southern but southern doesn't = redneck.

This happen on these forums a lot too. The city of Alpharetta GA "a suburb of Atlanta" was brought in a thread, and a northeast poster assumed we say "Alpharetter" WTF, in a southern accent people change "er" to "a" not "a" to "er" for instance there's a Decatur but it's common in Atlanta to say "Decatta" again "er" to "a" not "a" to "er". Alpharetta already ends with a "a" so people pronounce it as is.

First thing I saw when I click in to the page, was a big rebel flag, well to most southern that not being southerners that being a redneck.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:46 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I think sometimes we need to make a distinction between "physically rural" and "shared rural American culture."

Physically rural areas exist all over the country. For example, I can drive ten minutes in most directions and be in farmland. Does anybody here think that those areas, or the people that live in them, are southern? Of course not (I'm in Michigan.) About the only difference I notice is that they get more snow days in the winter.

However, there is a relatively recent development of what I'll call "shared rural American culture." I think it's propagated by country music and closely associated cultural activities (such as cowboy and/or camo gear, NASCAR, or maybe even towns coming together for high school football games.) Those ideals are heavily influenced by southern culture, even in areas and individuals that are not in the South. Not all rural people or Southerners for that matter subscribe to this culture, and there are many northern suburbanites who do. So I think that's where the whole idea that "rural = southern" comes from.
Great observation (+1). To answer your question I've bolded above, some folks on CD seem to feel the answer would be "yes" based on what I've been reading. New Hampshire has a NASCAR race and Houston has a great opera company. Neither fact changes their regional character, though it does seem hard for some here to grasp that.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:37 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Short answer, No. Until the mid 20th century, the population of the South was primarily rural, but no more. The Midwest is sometimes equated with ruralness, too, but it has had longstanding, established urban centers for over 100 years. All other regions of the US have huge areas of rural landscape, but no way are they Southern (except maybe Bakersfield, CA. )

Old 08-22-2011, 11:41 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,013,419 times
Can tobacco really be grown in Conn.? Is that photo mis-labeled?

Old 08-22-2011, 11:44 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Can tobacco really be grown in Conn.? Is that photo mis-labeled?
I believe Connecticut is known for growing the tobacco used to wrap cigars. Cigar leaf tobacco if you will.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:31 AM

346 posts, read 739,327 times
yea all rural areas of every state tend to be about the same, devoutly christian, republican, lacking in diversity, not quite as much higher education, people tend to be a little more close minded ect ect. I live in a rural area and it sucks so I kinda have some close experience with country people. "not that those a bad things, just often true" Definately not judging anyone. Some people love it, but its not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.