Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:57 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm 27 and single and would love to live in a small town. Life is simpler.
Well than maybe we just have bad PR. Or possibly it's back to the jobs issue. There are jobs here, but you often need "connections" and either way they might tend to be in a limited number of fields. Rural areas are generally not going to have as diverse an amount of jobs. If you'd be okay teaching high school, working as a mechanic, accounting, nursing, carpentry, store work, at a post office, or the like maybe you should try it! (Granted there's also farming, but I'm not sure I'd recommend someone totally new to farming decide to just start doing it. Those others there's at least a chance you could've learned how to do them in a city.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 05:14 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Well than maybe we just have bad PR. Or possibly it's back to the jobs issue. There are jobs here, but you often need "connections" and either way they might tend to be in a limited number of fields. Rural areas are generally not going to have as diverse an amount of jobs. If you'd be okay teaching high school, working as a mechanic, accounting, nursing, carpentry, store work, at a post office, or the like maybe you should try it! (Granted there's also farming, but I'm not sure I'd recommend someone totally new to farming decide to just start doing it. Those others there's at least a chance you could've learned how to do them in a city.)
A fair number of IT professionals can work from pretty much anywhere, which is an attainable option.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:11 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
rural america just can't provide the high-paying, specialized jobs that exist in cities.

The cost of living in the rural areas is lower than cities, so a high-paying job is not needed.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:50 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The cost of living in the rural areas is lower than cities, so a high-paying job is not needed.
Also, some rural areas are much nicer than other rural areas. You still have to make contacts and connections as well as deal with the locals quite a bit.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:02 PM

378 posts, read 707,395 times
I see suburbs and small cities as the real small-town killers, not huge metropolises. It's tough to make the case for a tiny town with limited jobs, diversity, and entertainment when you can still have a safe and quiet lifestyle in a small city or suburb of a larger one.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:10 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
The Great Plains counties are agriculturally dependent, meaning that they have very little employment outside the core ag sector. That is why the frontier is reappearing in the Plains as the population density drops back to 7< people per square mile, which is the Census Bureau definition of a "frontier county." Most counties in the central and northern Plains now have that designation and many will quickly become frontier over the next 10-20 years due to the factors mentioned in the article. That is also why the Great Plains West has little in common with the Midwest core and Great Lakes Midwest that have much higher population densities in their rural counties along with a somewhat more diverse economy that isn't tied only to agriculture.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:17 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Same here. Other than being a bit of a gym rat, I don't really get in on any of the "urban lifestyle" that many tout off as being popular.
Some small towns do have gyms at least of a sort. One of my classmates ran something like "Curves" in town. And unless it's a real isolated small town there's probably a gym within a half-hour's drive of many small towns. If you're against taking such a long drive there are "walking groups" in many small towns, I think, where people walk around town sometimes carrying weights. It might not be what you're used to though, I'd grant that.

Although I might say if you're against driving over 15-30 mile distances many rural places are likely not going to be for you as in many of them you will probably have to drive, or have someone drive you, to get to the hospital at least.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:28 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,726 times
Quote:
plus, most rural people i know are farmers who work 6 or 7 days a week, from sunup until after dark.
Most rural people aren't farmers though.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:31 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,726 times
Quote:
rural america just can't provide the high-paying, specialized jobs that exist in cities.
I think it's more due to the fact that a lot of small towns in rural areas have had their local business base decimated by big-box employers.

Also, a lot of small manufacturing towns have lost a lot of jobs due to automation, outsourcing, etc.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:18 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
Rural America is not "disappearing." It's right where it always was. It's gotten even MORE rural (i.e., with less people).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.