Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 01:59 AM

9 posts, read 38,824 times

Advertisements

Seeking less hot and humid area, than Richmond, Va. We would like to be with in 2 hours drive of Richmond, where our daughter will be in college. Just east of the Blue Ridge Mountains would be nice, or southern central Pennsylvania, like Bedford County. Have found very expensive golf communities that permit horses, but don't need golf, nor have the budget. Ideally, we would like to find a friendly, laid back community where pastures and horse facilities are shared, and trails are with in riding distance. I actually - dare I admit it? - prefer western riding - but no rodeo/animal exploitation stuff. Anyone have any knowledge of such an area? We can't go above about $350K range. Must have high speed internet service, job is mostly on computer. Schools no longer a problem (sigh...). I would appreciate some snow...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 02:58 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,574,245 times
To the original poster - Lexington, KY area. No where else can compare.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:40 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,399,243 times
THe Ozarks have a lot of horses too.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:51 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinforhorseparadise View Post
I live in Virginia and I want to move myself and my 2 horses to a location with more a moderate climate. Here, it is too hot and humid in the summer and too cold in the winter. It is also very expensive. My ideal location would have a consistent, moderate climate, lots of horse people and horse activities (good trail riding), low crime, relatively inexpensive real estate, and good available healthcare for me and my animals. Lack of natural disasters would be nice!
Sorry but you're looking for a combination that doesn't exist. Places with consistent, moderate climates are not coincidentally the most expensive places in the country to live. Best you can hope for is to find a cheaper version of what you have now, and your best bet for that is probably Kentucky or maybe West Virginia.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:59 AM

9 posts, read 38,824 times
Question Va. horse country; updated perspective...

Hi. My husband and I are looking for the same thing, but want to stay within about 2 hours of Richmond, Va., where our daughter will be in school. It seems that Rockbridge County, Va., around Lexington, has a much better climate, than further east in Va. I have been using Sperling's info, through google. I have been paying particular attention to their Comfort Index, for climate comparisons. I am also attracted to the more equal, political poling info shown in the area, though I know that is not current. But chances are, that most places, have swung a little further towards the center anyway, since that info was put out! Lexington itself, leans strongly into English riding, as does most of Va., it seems. We enjoy the more casual, western pleasure. We are looking for a friendly equestrian community, where pastures and barns etc. are shared, with ample trails to ride. We are looking for large private homesites and beautiful views. It is hard to know what our price limits are right now, as we'd have to sell first. I know approximately what we could have sold for, before the plunge, around $350k+, but all bets are off now! Anyway, as long as ones job holds out, there is no reason, to not keep the real estate market moving. You won't get as much when selling, but won't pay as much when buying! So, if anyone knows of an area such as we seek, please let me know! Sorry this is so long! Thanks!

Old 01-18-2009, 02:04 AM

440 posts, read 1,682,682 times
It really depends on the discipline of riding you do. Virginia is heavily saturated with Eventing and Fox Hunting, as is North Carolina and other states along the east coast. Kentucky is mainly racing. Florida, California, Texas, and Washington are heavily Dressage and Hunter/Jumper.

Granted every state has its niche in the equestrian world. Specifically I would seek out trainers if that is your goal. Virginia/North Carolina is slowly gaining more Dressage trainers. (I ride Dressage).

Old 03-18-2009, 10:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,246 times
Aiken,SC - good horse area - nice Polo matches

Old 03-18-2009, 10:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Very timely response...

Old 07-06-2010, 09:09 AM

7 posts, read 14,596 times
Default looking for horse Heaven

Hi. Just found this site. I live in NY and I am looking to relocate with my horses. Currently considering VA, NC and FL but open to suggestions. NY is just too expensive. Climate wise, I want warmer winters and not too brutally hot and humid in the summer. I would like a horse community with maintained horseback riding trails and neighbors close by. Coming from the city, I know that living in a remote area and challenging trails at my age (50+) is not for me! Thanks for any help!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:36 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times
Lexington, KY.

Horse capital of the world... DUH!

Hosting the World Equestrian Games (first outside of Europe to do so) this fall, growing super rapidly, it's a safe town that PERSONIFIES the horse industry!

Also, you can find a good home in a good neighborhood, even in one of the wealthier suburbs, for 100-150,000$, far cheaper than anything in urban New York.

"Thoroughbred City" awaits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.