Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:09 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,647,747 times

Advertisements

The Ten Biggest American Cities That Are Running Out Of Water - 24/7 Wall St.

Very interesting. Water is a major issue and has been for some time. I do not see how we can keep importing people and still fight our water problems to any degree of fairness to the people that already live here in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 04:58 AM

10,764 posts, read 23,877,889 times
It's a slow link, here are the cities listed (usual suspects, and surprisingly Texas cities..didn't know)...

10- Orlando, FL
9- Atlanta, GA
8- Tucson, AZ
7- Las Vegas, NV
6- Fort Worth, TX
5- San Francisco Bay, CA
4- San Antonio, TX
3- Phoenix, AZ
2- Houston, TX
1- Los Angeles, CA

Old 05-26-2011, 05:10 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,326,932 times
Not that I'm doubting the data in this article at all, but when we lived in Phoenix a couple of years ago, you would never have suspected that there was a potential water shortage; people were watering their lawns copiously, the golf courses were greener than green, which in Phoenix means tons of daily watering, and people went about their business without seeming to have a care in the world about water supply. I did hear rumors of new subdivision projects being abandoned in the northern outlying suburbs, not only because of the housing market crash, but because it was discovered that the ground water wasn't sufficient to supply the population growth there, but other than that, it was an issue that never seemed to get much attention.

Fortunately for those of us who live in the Great Lakes Region, fresh water supply is the least of our worries. I wonder if we will see a reverse migration of people from the sunbelt states back to the Upper Midwest and Northeast as water supplies, which were probably somewhat precarious to begin with, dwindle with the mass influx of Northern transplants who don't want to shovel snow. Little did they realize when they fled this area that someday they may find themselves wanting that snow, or any other form of water, just to survive.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:44 AM

36,671 posts, read 67,645,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
1-Los Angeles
5-San Francisco Bay, CA
We're okay for the time being as our reservoirs are all over 100% of capacity. This past winter and even spring have been very wet.

Our biggest water source is the Sierra Snow Pack. That's what matters the most and right now, its excellent. In fact, it snowed again yesterday.

In fact a huge problem has been releasing excess water into rivers and streams...something I thought was insane. Why dont they have more catch basins that could accomodate that run off.

Also, Californians are generally good at heeding calls for conservation and water rationing.

But we can never be too boastful when it comes to water supply because there is no guarantee that next year will be as wet as the last.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:12 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,299,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Not that I'm doubting the data in this article at all, but when we lived in Phoenix a couple of years ago, you would never have suspected that there was a potential water shortage; people were watering their lawns copiously, the golf courses were greener than green, which in Phoenix means tons of daily watering, and people went about their business without seeming to have a care in the world about water supply. I did hear rumors of new subdivision projects being abandoned in the northern outlying suburbs, not only because of the housing market crash, but because it was discovered that the ground water wasn't sufficient to supply the population growth there, but other than that, it was an issue that never seemed to get much attention.

Fortunately for those of us who live in the Great Lakes Region, fresh water supply is the least of our worries. I wonder if we will see a reverse migration of people from the sunbelt states back to the Upper Midwest and Northeast as water supplies, which were probably somewhat precarious to begin with, dwindle with the mass influx of Northern transplants who don't want to shovel snow. Little did they realize when they fled this area that someday they may find themselves wanting that snow, or any other form of water, just to survive.
Yeah, Phoenix really knows how to waste water.

And The Great Lakes states can't afford to be wasteful with their water either. Although I know that around me we have only certain days when you are supposed to water your flowers/lawn, and the fact that it does rain means that we can water less. Also, less heat = less evaporation = less water usage.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:51 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,093,343 times
I recall reading recently, that Las Vegas is paying any homeowners who are willing, to remove their grass lawns and replace their lawns with gravel or alternative surface.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:13 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,261,719 times
They should really stop throwing Houston and Orlando in these list.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:28 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,299,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I recall reading recently, that Las Vegas is paying any homeowners who are willing, to remove their grass lawns and replace their lawns with gravel or alternative surface.
That's better than nothing, but they should make it illegal to have grass. It's the desert after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
They should really stop throwing Houston and Orlando in these list.
Why? I constantly hear things about these cities, especially Orlando's water problem.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:25 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,464,148 times
Why does La get their water from the Colorado River?

Old 05-26-2011, 05:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,261,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
That's better than nothing, but they should make it illegal to have grass. It's the desert after all!

Why? I constantly hear things about these cities, especially Orlando's water problem.
There water issues can easily be solved. They have plenty of water; they just haven't took the necessary actions to preserve it. We are not in the same boat as Las Vegas or Arizona cities. Besides, Houstonians have already disproved that whole Houston is running out of water nonsense.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 05-26-2011 at 05:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.