Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:50 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,313,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
We didn't move just b/c of the weather, but it sure was taken into account when we decided to move out of Ohio. The main reason was job opportunities though, honestly, had we had them in NE Ohio, we probably would still be there.
Well, that's the opposite of our situation. We have actually found great, good paying jobs here in Michigan after returning from Arizona (yep, in Michigan!!! ) and with the fields of work that my dh and I are in, truck driver and RN respectively, we can actually make a lot more up here, since wages in the South aren't quite as high as they are here. Of course, the trade off would be that my dh wouldn't be driving in ice and snow as much, but he is going to retire in four years anyway, and I will follow soon after. We also own rental property, and in searching for similar properties to what we have here in the outerlying suburbs of Atlanta, we are finding that, while property taxes and other expenses seem to be lower, the actual prices of the buildings are higher but the rent per unit is roughly the same.

It's a lot to consider. As I sit typing this, it is a perfect spring day in Michigan. The sun is shining brilliantly, the grass is greener than green, the trees have buds on them, and it is going to get into the upper 60s today but with virtually no humidity. Of course, perfect days like this don't happen everyday here, but that's part of why I think that I appreciate it so much when they do.

Hmm...what's a good wife to do???? Seriously, I would go, of course, if he insists, but it might be harder than a lot of people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 09:01 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,789,308 times
I think there are some people who move South without realizing that most of those states do inn fact have winters and nasty weather too. I was visiting my parents in TN over Christmas and for several days it barely made it into the 20's. The winters might be shorter, but its more than made up for in regards to the heat. In fact, the only places you will find in the South that stay warm almost year-round will be places that tend to stay HOT for long periods. Not sure if that's necessarily an improvement. There are very few places in the US that has near-perfect weather. They're all in California and you will pay a small fortune for the privilege to live there.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:09 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,263,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Some of those of you have moved back north are over-exaggerating things a little...even here in 'Famously hot Columbia' we do not have "a minimum of 5 months of oppressive humidity & heat" - it's more like 8-10 weeks...from mid-June through August, plan on mid-90s during the day & mid-70s at night.
When we packed to move in late December, it was 80 and humid. When we arrived in PA, it was 50 and sunny. We were just back for a visit to wrap up business and it reached 90 over the weekend. The outdoor tables were yellow with pollen and my sinuses were once again in an uproar. What I call "summer" lasts 5 months minium in the south. Look at average temps in May in Columbia: Monthly Weather Forecast for Columbia, SC - weather.com These facts don't lie.

Just making it clear, I did not "over-exaggerate" my experience. As I said, to each his own, and I'm glad you have found nirvana in SC. I think the OP is expecting a range of opinions.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:36 AM

299 posts, read 642,039 times
Quote:
I stayed in the south for many years because I had a great job and built a good life there. As soon as I retired, however, I headed back north, with the weather being one of the key reasons. I used to tell myself that the horrid summers "down south" were an equal evil to the hard winters up north. Not true:

1. Winters may be nice(r) in the south, but the sun sets at 5, so there is not much daylight to enjoy it. I'll take the nice LONG and PLEASANT summer days up north where I can actually be outside and not sweat my butt off.

2. Put on a good winer coat, hats and gloves, and I am fine to face a northern winter. There is no cover for that wretched, constant, oppressive humidity that grips the south for five months minimum.

3. Rather than the spring you mentioned with blooming bulbs and trees and the glorious return of life, southern springs signal pollen drops and mold. And before you know it, it's late April and that oppressive summer I mentioned has started.

4. Kiss fall foliage all but goodbye in the south.

5. Bugs. Everywhere. Including in your house.

I suspect most northerners who elected to move south for the weather did so after winter visits. I wonder how many would have moved if their first trip south was in August? For all those people who moved south and love the weather - bless you. I will never go back south to live.
These Points you made, represent the weather here in the Deep South. The humidity in the air is thick year round, autumns are almost non-existant, and leaves go from lush green in Spring to turning lighter color by mid summer to turning completely brown in the latter months of the year.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:52 AM

299 posts, read 642,039 times
Quote:
think there are some people who move South without realizing that most of those states do inn fact have winters and nasty weather too.

Agreed. Even here on the Gulf coast had some freezing temperatures. Plus the thick humidity tends to have a reputation of getting under one's skin and staying there.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:56 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,737,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post

4. Kiss fall foliage all but goodbye in the south.
this isn't true or at least its dependent on what state you moved to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
Autumn in NC lasts like a week of some beautiful colors, and then they are all dead.
this isn't true, either.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
It's April and it was 90 degrees. 90. 90! My first reaction was, "hell no." In winter, you can keep putting on layers to keep warm, but there is only so much you can take off in the summer before you are charged with public indecency. There is really no spring.
that isn't normal tho. its normally "mild" in the spring in the southeast. record breaking temps or brief periods of extreme weather (cold or hot) shouldn't be considered the norm. it can happen anywhere.

spring in NC lasts from like...mid/late march-about may or so before its consistently warm and/or hot, iirc.

you might get a 85 degree day one week and a 50-60 degree day another.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:08 AM

^^^ Sorry but I lived in the south (can't remember if you have or not), and I've traveled to 48 states. The south has pockets of fall foliage. You're entitled to your opinion, but iMo, the foliage in the south cannot compare with the the variety, intensity and sheer geographical stretch found in the north.

All that said, I suspect the OP will not make her decision based on foliage.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:13 AM
eek

the OP should definitely not move one way or the other just for the weather, IMO.
but anyway i'm not trying to compare the foliage between the north and the south but parts of the south have nice colors in the fall. i'd say from the middle of NC to the west of NC you'll see the most variety.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
the OP should definitely not move one way or the other just for the weather, IMO.
but anyway i'm not trying to compare the foliage between the north and the south but parts of the south have nice colors in the fall. i'd say from the middle of NC to the west of NC you'll see the most variety.
Agree. NC can be lovely in the fall, as can eastern TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.