Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 02:12 AM

67 posts, read 167,020 times

Advertisements

I've lived in a couple of different places and the older I get the more I realize how I took my time in those places for granted. I was born and raised in rural Middle TN and anytime I moved away all I could think about was just getting back home.

When I lived in Kettering, OH and moved away I missed UDF (United Dairy Farmers), 4th of July fireworks at the Delco plant my step dad worked for, Elder Beerman stores, trips to the Air Force Museum by our house, and a trip on the weekend to Young's Dairy for the BEST ice cream EVER!! Oh, also hearing the term paddy wagon for a police van.

When I moved from Nashville, I seriously loved the lakes and rivers and missed how much time we spent there. I missed having some of the BEST doctors in the world available to us. Vanderbilt was incredible to us when we needed it.

When I lived in eastern NC I absolutely experienced serious culture shock and didn't even WANT to see anything good but about a year after we moved back I really did miss a lot more than I realized. I missed the east Carolina BBQ. It was so different. I hated it the first time I ate it and by the time we left I was HOOKED!! I missed how FRIENDLY people were. Crime was so terrible but I don't think in the 2 years I was there that I met anyone that wasn't super nice. I miss the VERY tall pine trees and being only 2 hrs from the Outer Banks.

Now I am back home in rural middle TN raising my boys. Anytime I moved from here I always missed, the cooking, and the hills (we call them mountains). I also miss how slow and laid back the pace is here. I love that it's a front porch swing, drinking tea, waving hi to the neighbors kinda town. I enjoy talking to the old timers. What can I say, I love it all except for the stale, backward, religious mindset some people have here and the GOSSIP!!

Last edited by MomOfCuteKids; 03-26-2011 at 02:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 08:21 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
The rocky terrain, the red and the brown, and the dry desert heat.

But so far, I've done my best to stick to the desert regions of the south-west, so no need to worry about it any time soon.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:56 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What would you miss the most, about the place you live now, if you had to move to a different part of the USA? Not personal things, like family, but just the general characteristics that you would miss.

For me, it would be the hot weather. I love the hot summer here, even when it is over 100 and humid. I like it better in summer than the days in the winter when it, at worst, in the 40s.

I'd also miss the Great-tailed Grackles, the noisy flocks of big black birds that hang around cities and towns in south Texas. I love hearing them making their noisy racket---it makes it feel like Mexico.
.........Interesting and thought provoking question.................

I would miss the wonderful, great weather we have form 5/1 to 11/1.
...... (of the other 6 months: 3 are pretty good & 3 are lousy).....this 'ole
body "ain't what it used to be.

.....the Elk that frequently (7 days this April) come through my place
during the month of April (38 this morning at 6:30 a.m.)

.....the total peace & quite, privacy and solitude I have living at the
end of a lane 1 1/2 mile in the woods, 11 miles out of town.

.....the view of the snow-capped mountains for 7 months out of 12.

.....the never ending beauty of the Bitterroot River winding it's way
through the B.R. Valley

.....the Bald Eagles that can frequently be seen soaring over head.

.....the White-Tail fawns that are born (many times) within 300
feet of the house.

.....the Great Gray Owls that frequent this area when the Lemmings
are in short supply up in Alberta.

These experiences and many others that are similiar, make me realize how lucky I am.

Carpe Diem my friends........you haven't really lived, until you've almost died!

Old 04-29-2011, 10:59 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I'd say the hills/short mountains(especially driving south on the highway during my morning commute), Syracuse University sports, Wegmans, the history, some of the food, fall(foliage, apple picking, football, etc.), the diverse festivals from the late spring into early fall, the NY State Fair, watching sunsets off of Lake Ontario in Oswego, trips to Ithaca, seeing deer in the city of Syracuse around Syracuse University's South Campus and in the suburb I grew up in and the potential to take day trips to the greatest areas in North America, if not the world.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:18 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
- The mild weather/occasional 80-degree days in winter.
- The low humidity most of the time.
- The nearby mountains.
- The numerous pizza parlors... there are at least 6 within a 3-mile radius of my house.
- The undeveloped/open areas.
- The weekly car gatherings.
- The wide streets.
- The big parking lots.
- The local radio stations, especially KNX 1070 AM (news).

Old 04-29-2011, 11:25 PM

650 posts, read 1,327,870 times
I'd miss the little getaway locations such as the malls, the beaches, nearby theme parks (Wildwood, Six Flags, Dorney, Hershey, etc.). I'd kinda miss the scenery and just being here. I'd miss NYC to a certain extent, I don't really go around the city but I'd miss that, going to Manhattan every once and a while.

The little things I'd miss most likely wouldn't outweigh the "New" (assuming it's somewhere I like), it really depends on where I'd move. Like if I moved to Florida I wouldn't really miss NY's scenery since they have a lot in common besides for the various palm trees. If I moved to California I'd miss NY's hot/humid summers w/thunderstorms.

And it's not like I'd never go back to NY.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:35 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
The winter. Texas as decent winter ... cold, snow, and rain. Once in a while, it's too warm, but it changes rather fast. Thank goodness for something good about this state.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:50 AM

611 posts, read 1,600,851 times
It all depends on where I'd be moving to but assuming it would be far away from southern california.......
-dry/pleasant summers.
-the best korean food you can find outside of korea
-great mexican food
-overall great scenery (beaches/mtns/dessert) all within a drivable distance
-my car (assuming I move to a super urban metro like nyc)
-personal space (same reason as above)

Old 04-30-2011, 10:52 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Lack of ethnic "diversity" and
Lack of crime (which is kind of redundant, if you know what I mean).

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-30-2011, 04:48 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Raised in Kentucky, now living in the Kentucky suburbs of Cincinnati

Kentucky:
  • Family
  • Lush horse farm greenery
Cincinnati:
  • Honestly, nothing...maybe my church, they're really quite friendly folks

Not much I'd miss, I'm not very sentimental. Although family is always paramount, so who's to say that I won't move to another state and move back to KY in 25 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.