Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 04:14 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,961,994 times

Advertisements

I believe Cortland was named after Cortland, NY.

From Wiki :The name "Ohio" derives from the Seneca word ohi:yo’, meaning "beautiful river" or "large creek", which was originally the name of both the Ohio River and Allegheny River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 04:20 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,791,507 times
Penryn, CA is named after a town in Wales. It was the hometown Griffith Griffith, the towns founder, who operated a large granite quarry in town.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:59 PM

81 posts, read 333,263 times
San Angelo TX

The founder I believe named it after his dead wife, Angela. So he called it Saint Angela in Spanish. The town was named Santa Angela.

People ran the words together and started calling it San Angela. Eventually someone came along who said that 'San Angela' wasn't accurate with the masculine and feminine words together. So it was renamed San Angelo.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:07 PM

36 posts, read 123,525 times
Wasn't Jacksonville called "Cowford" at one time? I thought it was a place where the railroads used to "ford" cattle across the St. Johns river in order to load then on railway cars. Is there anything to that story?

However, I like the present name Jacksonville, and the wonderful and rare St. Johns river...one of only two major "northward flowing rivers in the world!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Lake City, Florida

Would you like to guess how Lake City obtained that name? Duh....
There are many lakes here, even in the city limits. Back in the early 1800s, it was called "Alligator" by the indians. We also have a few of these large lizards in our lakes.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Alachua, Florida (near Gainesville / Hogtown)

The little town of Alachua, means "City of Sinkholes" as named by the early Indians. Florida and much of that area has many limerock caverns and sinks created when the springs or underground "Aquafier" fresh-water distribution system roof colapses and causes the earth to fall in.

Alachua is about 16 miles from downtown Gainesville, or it's favorite name...Hogtown. Ask some of its residents how it acquired that name.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:34 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,379,725 times
Saint Joseph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Origin of the name California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-26-2007, 09:42 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,077,218 times
Colorado: has already been explained.

Louisville: Louis Nawatny, founder. Much better than "Nawatnyville", IMO.

Pennsylvania, my home state was named for William Penn's father. Penn was a Quaker and his religion forbade it being named for him! This was pounded into our heads in school.

Beaver Falls, my hometown: for the falls in the Beaver River, obvi!

Old 07-27-2007, 01:31 AM

768 posts, read 1,758,151 times
Default Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

I live in New York City which was called New Amsterdam by its Dutch settlers. In the mid-17th century, the British ruled the city and changed the name to New York, after James II of England, who was the Duke of York.

New York City proper is comprised of five boroughs: Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, and Staten Island, although most folks think of Manhattan when they think of New York City. The name Manhattan is said to have been derived from the word "Manna-hata" in the Lenape Indian language, apparently translating to mean "island of many hills." I live in Manhattan.

As for New York State, it was obviously named after New York City when the Brits took over (the Brits surrendered New York City in 1783), but much of it was previously called New Netherlands by the Dutch.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:36 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,594,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBennett View Post
Wasn't Jacksonville called "Cowford" at one time? I thought it was a place where the railroads used to "ford" cattle across the St. Johns river in order to load then on railway cars. Is there anything to that story?

However, I like the present name Jacksonville, and the wonderful and rare St. Johns river...one of only two major "northward flowing rivers in the world! You are
You are exactly right,Jacksonville was called "Cowford" until 1822 and they did ferry cows across the St.Johns. This makes Jacksonville a 185- year-old city.It is the largest city in land area in the country (2\3 the size of the state of Rhode Island). I too like the present name Jacksonville over Cowford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.