Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:17 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,407,993 times

Advertisements

Need I say more than the title? Here is my personal vote...having lived in St. Louis my whole life, I was raised on tap water basically for the first 16 or so years of my life and never had any complaints about St. Louis' tap water. Did not taste too much different from pure water. The worst tap water I've ever tasted would have to be in Florida....it tasted like salt water which had gone sour....Cleveland also does not have great tap water, nor does Alexandria, LA. I don't know what it is about the tap water in ST. Louis, they just know how to make it good. But I have I must confess being more of a "pure" person myself simply for the fact that I like pure water Enough of my babbling...what is your vote for the cities with the best tap water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 11:29 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,905,786 times
Detroit system water is good, but the pipes are old. The one serving the western suburbs flooded I-96 last week.

Champaign-Urbana here has excellent water, due to the underground aquifier. It's actually been rated number one continually
by whatever national organization of public water systems exist. (don't be lazy like me tonight, run a Google search)

Old 07-24-2007, 07:15 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,101,661 times
Louisville has very good tasting tap water.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:47 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,099,218 times
I don't know what it is, I'm thinking it is because its the water I've been drinking since I was born so I'm used to it, but when I travel and come home to good old unglamorous "city of Chicago tap water", I'm happy to have a large glass of the stuff.

I've never been much for bottled water though, if I end up with a bottle of the stuff on my desk, I usually just fill it up over and over from the tap until the cleaning staff throws it away.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:03 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,161,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Need I say more than the title? Here is my personal vote...having lived in St. Louis my whole life, I was raised on tap water basically for the first 16 or so years of my life and never had any complaints about St. Louis' tap water. Did not taste too much different from pure water. The worst tap water I've ever tasted would have to be in Florida....it tasted like salt water which had gone sour....Cleveland also does not have great tap water, nor does Alexandria, LA. I don't know what it is about the tap water in ST. Louis, they just know how to make it good. But I have I must confess being more of a "pure" person myself simply for the fact that I like pure water Enough of my babbling...what is your vote for the cities with the best tap water?
Hey ajf131, you'll appreciate this link concerning tap water in different cities, and the winner overall for 2007. Maybe you've seen this already though...

http://www.usmayors.org/75thAnnualMe...se_062507b.pdf

Old 07-24-2007, 08:22 AM

607 posts, read 2,983,037 times
I heard Detroit had like the best tap water.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I don't know what it is, I'm thinking it is because its the water I've been drinking since I was born so I'm used to it, but when I travel and come home to good old unglamorous "city of Chicago tap water", I'm happy to have a large glass of the stuff.

I've never been much for bottled water though, if I end up with a bottle of the stuff on my desk, I usually just fill it up over and over from the tap until the cleaning staff throws it away.
I actually think you might be onto something, j33. The water we've been drinking since we were born may have just kicked into our taste buds before we were even old enough to remember....especially since Chicago's tap water may have tasted a bit funny to me...it's been awhile since I've been to Chicago though so I can't tell you for sure. but then again...we all have different taste buds...so who knows...I would kind of be surprised if anybody complained about St. Louis' tap water though...man...to come home to that water after the nasty water in Cleveland...I used to drink gallons of it whenever I came back from visiting my relatives in Cleveland because all I really drink is water, and I basically limited myself to less than two glasses during my visit there. THank god my grandmother got a filter though...now I can go to Cleveland without having to spend tons on bottled water or having to not drink anything.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Hey ajf131, you'll appreciate this link concerning tap water in different cities, and the winner overall for 2007. Maybe you've seen this already though...

http://www.usmayors.org/75thAnnualMe...se_062507b.pdf
I KNEW ST. LOUIS WOULD BE ON THAT LIST....that really does prove it then I guess. Boy am i grateful to be raised in a city with such fine tap water. Cleveland I think needs to hook its water lines up to Toledo's...because their water tastes like absolute CRAP. I would imagine that both Toledo and Cleveland get their water from Lake Erie. St. Louis I am not sure where it gets its water from....probably either the Mississippi or the Missouri River.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:52 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,099,218 times
Good for St. Louis. I don't seem to remember their water though (I've only visited a couple of times).

Old 07-24-2007, 10:55 PM

284 posts, read 1,682,410 times
I didn't notice Salt Lake City on the list. Didn't it just win on some morning news show? I think Artesia, NM has wonderful water, but Artesia is probably too little to make anyone's radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.