Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Cities are best, Midwest or Northeast
Chicago(Midwest) 17 18.09%
New York City(Northeast) 21 22.34%
Boston(Northeast) 12 12.77%
Detroit(Midwest) 5 5.32%
Indianapolis(Midwest) 3 3.19%
Philadelphia(Northeast) 11 11.70%
Cleveland(Midwest) 7 7.45%
Millwaukee(Midwest) 5 5.32%
Minneapolis(Midwest) 13 13.83%
Providence(Northeast) 0 0%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:54 AM

607 posts, read 2,980,973 times

Advertisements

which regions have better cities, in everything you find important. the Midwest Cities or the Northeast Cities. post pictures if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 11:59 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Durn,,, wish could pick one from each area...

But, will have to go with Chicago, as I'm from the Midwest, and do love the Windy City. With that said, if could pick another, Beantown is excellent. Boston has just about everything. I've only been to Minneapolis twice, but was very pleasantly surprised. However, Chicago has so much more to offer, IMHO. Food, sports, shopping, nightlife, water front, culture, history, etc.

Interesting that don't have StL as a choice, and that there are 6 midwestern vs. 4 nor'eastern towns...

Old 07-23-2007, 12:04 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Tough to choose, really. MANY great cities on that list!!

In order:

1.NYC
2. Chicago
3. Boston
4. Minneapolis
5. Philadelphia
6. Milwaukee
7. Providence
8. Indianapolis
9. Cleveland
10. Detroit

Old 07-23-2007, 12:36 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
St. Louis needs to be on that list of cities in the Midwest, after all it is fourth largest behind Chicago, Detroit, and the Twin Cities. I have a general preference for the Midwest over the Northeast anyway...don't know why...guess living here all my life it has been a good experience for me. Climate it is hard to compare these two because overall they are very similar. The Midwest can get colder than the Northeast, but the Northeast can get more snow than the Midwest.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:51 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Steve-O,,, why Milwaukee over Indy and/or Cleveland? Just curious...
Kinda surprised w/ Philly being that high too...

Old 07-23-2007, 01:54 PM

the midwest wins, they have high class shopping(Chicago), beautiful theatres and skyline(Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis).

Old 07-23-2007, 02:33 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Steve-O,,, why Milwaukee over Indy and/or Cleveland? Just curious...
Kinda surprised w/ Philly being that high too...
Milwaukee is cool, it really is. I love its old neighborhoods, lakefront location, access to Madison and beautiful SW Wisconsin and Door County. Its VERY American, and I like that.

Cleveland is ok, but its lakefront isnt as nice, and I wasnt crazy about it. Its not a bad city by any stretch of imagination, but Milwaukee is cooler, thats just my opinion.

Indy? Blah. Never really been crazy about that place whatsoever. I did the canal walk downtown, that was ok. LOL

Old 07-23-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
St. Louis needs to be on that list of cities in the Midwest, after all it is fourth largest behind Chicago, Detroit, and the Twin Cities. I have a general preference for the Midwest over the Northeast anyway...don't know why...guess living here all my life it has been a good experience for me. Climate it is hard to compare these two because overall they are very similar. The Midwest can get colder than the Northeast, but the Northeast can get more snow than the Midwest.
I'm pretty sure that Millwaukee , cleveland, and Indianapolis, are bigger than stl.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:09 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke66 View Post
I'm pretty sure that Millwaukee , cleveland, and Indianapolis, are bigger than stl.
In their metro areas, you have got to be joking I like to compare cities based on their metro areas. Metros IMO are the only logical way to compare two cities to each other unless you are comparing the biggest cities in the United States to each other, and even then I still think its better to look at the metro areas. St. Louis has between a million to a million and a quarter more people in its metro than Indy, half a million more than Milwaukee, and I believe is also a bit larger, nearly as large, or as large, as Cleveland's MSA depending on whether or not Akron is included. Cleveland and St. Louis come close tying to for fourth largest and it all depends how one looks at it. Indy and Milwaukee have a long way to go if they hope to overtake St. Louis as far as their metro sizes go. For metro areas, Cleveland is arguable for being bigger or not as big as St. Louis. Both of these cities in their metros are either fourth or fifth largest in the Midwest...depending on how you choose to define Cleveland's MSA.

Last edited by ajf131; 07-23-2007 at 04:17 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 07:38 PM

3 posts, read 9,134 times
Minneapolis is awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.