Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 06:44 PM

25 posts, read 120,403 times

Advertisements

I'm a twenty something currently living in Irving, Texas, and I don't drive, I was wondering which cities are low crime and have a VERY good public transit system?

Last edited by star314; 01-21-2011 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 08:04 PM

423 posts, read 648,324 times
1. New York City
2. Washington, D.C.
3. Chicago
4. Philadelphia
5. Boston
6. San Francisco
7. Atlanta
8. Portland, OR
9. Los Angeles
10. Baltimore

In that order...

Safety wise, same order but each system has its bad (crime) stations or lines.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 PM

20,527 posts, read 33,623,076 times
I'd put Chicago over slightly over DC though. While DC does have the superior train system, Chicago has the superior bus system and it isn't close. DC system outside of the city also becomes very commuter like and the stations are spread out.

As far as transit.
1. New York

*a gap that equals the distance between the Sun and the planet formerly known as Pluto*

2. Chicago
3. Washington
4. Boston
5. San Francisco
6. Philadelphia
*another rather large gap*
7. Atlanta
8. Portland
9. Los Angeles
10. Take your pick......

Now crime is another story. I know DC is becoming more safer. But it's expensive. Chicago in areas is safe and in other areas it is shady. I guess Boston, New York, or San Francisco would be ideal for you if you want one of the top transit cities with low crime. Yes, New York. It's one of the safest cities in the country and the safest city over a million, I believe.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:17 PM

25 posts, read 120,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Now crime is another story. I know DC is becoming more safer. But it's expensive. Chicago in areas is safe and in other areas it is shady. I guess Boston, New York, or San Francisco would be ideal for you if you want one of the top transit cities with low crime. Yes, New York. It's one of the safest cities in the country and the safest city over a million, I believe.
NYC, safe? Really? I heard there's loads of crime there ...

Old 01-21-2011, 09:43 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,304,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star314 View Post
lol you've heard wrong. Transit is another story though. D.C., for instance, does an excellent job of keeping crime off of its trains, partly due to ridiculously high fares (the buses have issues though).

D.C. has more riders on its trains than Chicago, but Chicago runs 24/7 for two of its most prominent trains and for several prominent bus lines. There's nothing like that in D.C. or indeed most of the cities of the world. Chicago and New York are pretty unique in that respect.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:16 PM

423 posts, read 648,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star314 View Post
OMG!!!!
I'm tired of people thinking NYC is dangerous.
The media is soooooo evil they make NYC seem like its Iraq.
People like you think NYC is the most dangerous place on Earth, but in reality there was always a city that was worse. Nowadays NYC is not as dangerous as you seem. Yes you do have gritty and ghetto parts that you should avoid or used caution in but its not that bad lol. I can tell you the worst parts of NYC.

Brooklyn:
-Brownsville
-East New York
-Bed-Stuy
-Flatbush
-Fort Greene
-Clinton Hill
-Some parts of Coney Island
-Some parts of Bushwick
-Some parts of Williamsburg

Manhattan:
-Harlem
-Washington Heights
-Inwood
-East Harlem

Queens:
-South Jamaica
-Queensbridge

Bronx:
-Mott Haven
-Eastchester
-Parkchester

and too many other parts to name

As for subway lines in NYC,

-The A/C train is ghetto, especially through Brooklyn and Queens at night
-The J/Z train can be quite ghetto

Okay in short, any line that goes through the Bronx can be rough, except for the 1 train and damn near every line that goes through Northern and Eastern Brooklyn is ghetto, except the L train which is the hipster express but after it goes past Broadway Junction it gets ghetto.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:58 AM

711 posts, read 1,146,104 times
Well....every major city that have a public transit system has it's fair share of crime issues on a daily basis. The only cities I visited to catch a bus/subway is D.C & NYC. Both cities have great transit systems but I like D.C system because of its cleanliness and it is very efficient in my opinion.

D.C gets my vote.

Last edited by Clyde81; 01-22-2011 at 02:17 AM..

Old 01-22-2011, 02:50 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,802,197 times
Quote:
I'd put Chicago over slightly over DC though. While DC does have the superior train system, Chicago has the superior bus system and it isn't close. DC system outside of the city also becomes very commuter like and the stations are spread out.

As far as transit.
1. New York

*a gap that equals the distance between the Sun and the planet formerly known as Pluto*

2. Chicago
3. Washington
4. Boston
5. San Francisco
6. Philadelphia
7. Atlanta
8. Portland
9. Los Angeles
10. Take your pick......

I have to agree.... I only have limited experiences on buses there, but I know for at least one spot in town a bus and the El train can be an option and the bus can potentially be a better route to get some places downtown. I was impressed... it isn't too often you can say that.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:38 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,485,803 times
If we are combining both crime and transit, then I'd probably place it like:

1. New York City
2. Boston
3. Washington DC
4. ....maybe San Francisco?

I find it hard to place Chicago and Philadelphia because they both have very good systems but suffer from hideous crime in certain areas of the city.

While DC has a higher ridership than Boston, their transit maps are very comparable and Boston is considerably safer than DC...that's why I put Boston at the #2 spot ahead of Washington.

San Francisco doesn't have a transit system as good as Philly or Chicago...but is a considerably safer city.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:54 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,019,239 times
Quote:

As far as transit.
1. New York

2. Chicago
3. Washington
4. Boston
5. San Francisco
6. Philadelphia
7. Atlanta
8. Portland
9. Los Angeles
10. Take your pick......

Spade honestly there is no way that the SF transit system is better than Philly's and seriously it isnt even close, in some ways I might put Seattle ahead of SF overall, I agree overall Philly is behind NYC (obviously, Chicago, and Bosto, the Metro in DC is excellent but Philly overall to me is actually better with the buses and regional rail included though that may change) SF still as an overall system is behind the big five (NYC, Chicago, Boston , DC, Philly) significantly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.