Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 04:04 PM

116 posts, read 157,782 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Me and my flatmate are planning a big roadtrip stateside next year, and I was hoping for some help, as to how to travel, we are going to fly to Boston, where I have an uncle, then travel all the way around America to San Fran, stopping off in the major cities, we found megabus, and tis great, but only gets us as fat as DC, is there any other Bus companies that can get us to places for CHEAP, like megabus is getting us from Boston to DC for 3 dollars each haha.

Here is a map of the major cities we want to hit:

Boston, MA, USA to San Francisco, CA, USA - Google Maps

maybe you can tell us some good places to stop off between them (on bus routes of course, as thats how we will be getting to them)

When we get to San Fran we will fly back from either there or LA, where ever is cheapest.

If anyone can advise that would awesome,

Thanks

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 04:51 PM

9,379 posts, read 20,819,404 times
I just opened up the map, and I would love to come along with you. Every stop will be special.

The one thing I can't recommend more highly is the Four Corners region of the US, where Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah meet. Specifically, Mesa Verde National Park. I was just there over the weekend, and was completely blown away. I was at first going to get to Monument Valley, but ran out of time. The next time (and it will be sooner rather than later, since I am in the midst of moving) we will plan better so we can get in all the area has to offer. The Durango railroad, whitewater rafting, more of the San Juan National Forest, in addition to Monument Valley and Mesa Verde. There is just so much to see in Southwestern Colorado. I was completely overwhelmed. While there, I thought I was up close and personal witness to the very best this country has to offer.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:33 AM

Yeah it should be awesome

I will defo check out that, I remember an episode of the simpsons where they went there haha.

Well I found a flight that will take my from Dublin to Boston, then get the bus to NYC, Philadelphia then DC, the a flight from DC to Miami, the make our way from Miami to San Francisco where we get a flight back to Boston, then to Dublin.

We jsut need to figure out how and where to stop between Miami and San Fran.

All of the flights are costing 730GBP, so I think thats quite good!!

But was wondering is flying sometimes a cheaper option than training or bussing? and if so, what are good companies, I know megabus us good, but they've, not routes in the south or west

Old 08-11-2010, 05:42 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,970,507 times
Honestly after the use of the Megabus in the North East (Boston/NYC/Philly/DC) you may want to seriously consider driving some parts, there are many rental car options and would give more flexibility to see some places outside of the downtowns. Public transportation is no where the levels of most of Europe, especially outside of the NE corrider.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:49 AM

The only problem is, that I would be 21, but can't drive, and my other mate can drive, has a full UK driving licesne but would only be 20, I don't think anyone would rent us out one, would they?

Is there no bus companies like megabus for the south at all :O

Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,178,636 times
Greyhound Bus is the largest coach service provider in the US; they have routes all over the country, but you definitely won't find fares anywhere near as cheap as those on Megabus: Greyhound Home

Old 08-11-2010, 12:15 PM

43,710 posts, read 44,473,033 times
If you want try to fly cheaply instead of taking a bus, you can try Spirit Airlines, Air Tran or Jet Blue.
But if you still want to go by bus which is the cheapest way to get around the USA, I agree that Greyhound Bus is the best option for most of the USA.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:21 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,225,037 times
Are you going to rent cars then after you get to those cities? You're going to have a hell of a time getting around in those southern cities once you get there if you don't have a car. Some of the easiest I've found if I were coming from Europe would be Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago, Seattle, San Fran, New Orleans, South Beach area...

Last edited by Chicago60614; 08-11-2010 at 02:44 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 12:45 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,383,124 times
The U.S. is huge so time would be an important consideration. You may want to fly from region to region and take buses within each region.

For Example:

Fly to Boston - Bus to D.C. - Fly to Miami - Bus to Austin - Fly to Seattle - Bus to San Francisco.

That would be rather expensive but keep in mind that a direct bus route from NYC to Los Angeles, essentially the breadth of the country is a solid week of 12 hour days sitting on a bus.

Also, heed the words of Chicago60614. You may want to just string together a couple of Eastcoast cities, a couple of Midwest cities and a couple of Westcoast cities with flights in between.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:02 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,605,546 times
I think you should check out the Amtrack website. they've got some good deals on extended train passes and that will help determine your itinerary.

BTW - don't get a sleeper they are very expensive. You can sleep OK in the seat - just plan a stop off every 2-3 days to catch up on the ZZZs.

I really liked the train west of Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.