Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 05:58 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Another great post!

Absolutely 100%, I concur. Bon voyage shallow folks!
I think that's pretty judgmental and harsh to call someone shallow for wanting to move for any one particular reason.

Maybe the original poster will move to a sunny climate only to find that it wasn't as important as s/he thought it was. There's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes we have to find our way to what we do want by experiencing what we don't want. And it might end up being the best move the OP ever made. But to call someone shallow IMO is out of line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 06:31 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
I think that's pretty judgmental and harsh to call someone shallow for wanting to move for any one particular reason.

Maybe the original poster will move to a sunny climate only to find that it wasn't as important as s/he thought it was. There's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes we have to find our way to what we do want by experiencing what we don't want. And it might end up being the best move the OP ever made. But to call someone shallow IMO is out of line.
Um, I have my opinions, you have yours, right? Right.

And for that matter, YES, I will call someone shallow if theyre living someplace they dont like just because "the weather is good". If youre willing to live somewhere that you cant stand, and miss out on all thats out there just because you dont like to dress up in winter, or deal with raking leaves or whatever, then yes, youre shallow (in that respect). But if you leave to go someplace "warm" and end up loving it and everything about it, then thats fine. And believe me, there are alot of people who are miserable where they are and wont move somewhere else for literal "fear" () of having to shovel a driveway.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:36 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,273 times
Quote:
Um, I have my opinions, you have yours, right? Right.

And for that matter, YES, I will call someone shallow if theyre living someplace they dont like just because "the weather is good". If youre willing to live somewhere that you cant stand, and miss out on all thats out there just because you dont like to dress up in winter, or deal with raking leaves or whatever, then yes, youre shallow (in that respect). But if you leave to go someplace "warm" and end up loving it and everything about it, then thats fine. And believe me, there are alot of people who are miserable where they are and wont move somewhere else for literal "fear" () of having to shovel a driveway.
Everyone has their own priorities and makes their own choices, I guess. And everyone has to live with said choices, so if that (not so?) hypothetical person you described above started complaining to me about how miserable he was, I wouldn't have any of it. But it's still not up to me to judge someone's priorities.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:43 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
For weather and leisure? Not really if you are single, but if you have kids who are happy where they are at with their friends and you, the breadwinner has a decent job that pays the bills at present location, then it would be selfish to drag the kids along when they are happy just for your own pleasure.

Last edited by sweetclimber; 06-11-2007 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
"Climate" and proximity to outdoor activities are two different things. I firmly believe that there is such as thing as "climate hedonism," especially when the climate that people consider desirable (today, living in the desert is the latest fad) is combined with cheaper living costs. I just described Phoenix for you in one sentence. People move here because they don't like snow and cold. Actually, that's not it-- people move to Phoenix because they hate rain, snow, clouds, and cool temperatures so bad, they are willing to go to the opposite extreme just to rid themselves of it.

The economy here is based primarily on construction and development-- not any core industry. They aren't moving here for "the city," that's for sure. The funny thing is, I know so many people here who do nothing but complain about how there is nothing to do, boring architecture, lousy food, lousy music scene, etc, etc, but choose to stay put, primarily because of the weather (in addition to "climate hedonism," this place suffers from "climate amnesia"-- people talk about the weather as a plus and conveniently ignore 6 months out of the year). Some people really are happier here. But personally, I think that if you're the kind of person that would get a lot out of the culture of a city like Seattle, Chicago, or Boston, the down-to-earth communities of the midwest, or the possibilities for outdoor recreation that a colder climate city like Denver or Salt Lake would offer, but instead, choose to live in Phoenix because you just "can't take the cold," then you are a weakling.
Your'e right Steve-O this is a very accurate post. Most of those people moving from the upper midwest, upstate NY etc. are only moving because of media hype of North Carolina, Florida, etc. and weather. After they get there and live and see how much more there is to life than "less snow to deal with", then they are miserable and wish they had stayed where they were in the first place, up in the northeast/central USA!!

Old 06-15-2007, 10:50 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
Quote:
And believe me, there are alot of people who are miserable where they are and won't move somewhere else for literal "fear" () of having to shovel a driveway.
Hmmm... Why do I have the feeling that you just described me?! My name is Sandy, and I'm a "weather wimp" from southern California! I'm really tired of L.A., and yet I'm scared to deal with WEATHER (in all caps for a reason!). I may never move, because snow, excessive heat, and humidity all do nothing for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues