Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:32 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,136 times

Advertisements

We recently did a move from Ct. to D.C. and what a nightmare. We used U-Haul and we had a truck and a car lift (it is a trailor for a vehicle)

My husband drove it (I was in D.C. with the kids) and he got a flat on the Jersey Tpk and he waited hours to get service (you have to call U-Haul) They changed the tire. An hour later another flat. They said that he was too far on the Tpk for their service as they claim it was in their contract. My husband balked and they eventually came to change the tire. My husband was smart enough to take pix of the tires both times and he got some good close ups thank GOD!! The last flat was almost off the Tpk, but you'll understand why that's relevant later.

FF to a few months later and I get a bill in the mail for almost $1,500 for the tire repair and tow service. I call about the bill to find out that U-Haul stiffed us with the bill with the reason that it was improper driving and that the service only covered certain geographic areas and they had to charge more for the second flat. It took days and weeks to actually get a person on the phone who said they were the right person to talk with about claims. Weeks turned into months and then finally I found the pix my husband took. (my hubby had been deployed to the middle east so it took a while to find where he put the pix and I didn't want to worry him what was going on so I didn't want to ask him or tell him what was going on)

I finally found all the pix and wrote a scathing letter to the U-Haul person in charge (I looked up the company website) and I included the pix citing the poor quality of the tires (dried out and no tread in many areas) and that U-Haul was very lucky my husband wasn't injured during the tire blow-outs. I cited that my husband holds special licenses to drive military vehicles so his professional skill level had to help avoid a collision for the 2 tire blow-outs.

I received a phone call from this person and I asked them to put it in writing so I could have a paper trail. They said that with the pix they could see that the tires were dried out and not in good condition. They agreed to clear my husband of any money owed to the company. I got that letter and it's filed away.

Lot's of lessons learned here, but I say read all the policy information on the rental form. Ask for copies of whatever they may tell you in regards to handling emergencies, and damage. Also, check the vehicle to record dents and damage--inside and out, tire check--you got that one already--and check the fluids to see that they're topped off. Good luck to all on this risky venture!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,219 times
I have used Uhaul 5 times in the past 14 years. Every time there has been a problem with either the truck, logistics, or rude people. I came across an "I hate uhaul" site and found out about Penske. Upon looking them up and making my reservation, I was quoted a price difference of $128 in SAVINGS!! I never mentioned the name Uhaul. Included was an extra day to move and unlimited miles. My pickup location is only a block away and my return location is going to be about 3 miles from where my new home will be. I drove over to look at the Penske trucks and was totally delighted to see NEW trucks sitting on the lot. I will not "Go Uhaul" ever again.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
After having nothing but issues with Uhaul when I used them for local moves, I went to Penske for my big move from Dallas to Chicago. Then again from Butte Montana to Chicago to pick up my things, then back to Dallas. Not only was the Penske truck completely reliable, I had no billing issues. I would not hesitate to use Penske for any type of move, short or long, while I will never use Uhaul for any type of move.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:23 PM

9 posts, read 16,399 times
Default Penske has ANOTHER vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhaulManager View Post
Fact:
U-Haul performs service on it's trucks every 5000 miles, Penske--every 8000 miles. U-haul employs thousands of ASE certified mechanics.

Fact:
U-Haul has more new trucks in it's fleet (10', 14', 17' 26') than Penske has in it's ENTIRE FLEET.

Fact:
U-haul has over 22,000 drop-off locations across the US and Canada. Penske makes it's customers drop off hundreds of miles away from the customers destination because they don't have nearly as many drop off locations, which is why they give you "unlimited" miles.

Fact:
Penske trucks are designed for loading docks, Uhaul trucks have low decks.

Fact:
U-Haul will ALWAYS beat Penske and Budget rates.

Fact:
Uhaul trucks run on unleaded fuel, Penske trucks run on diesel.

Sorry to bust your bubble-- because you clearly are trying to save the 'U-Haul' name since it has been so badly slandered in this forum-- but I think many of us have unfortunately experienced FIRSTHAND bad experiences with U-Haul regardless of your "facts".

-When I moved across country, I knew nothing of Penske or U-Haul trucks. Penske had a pick up and drop off location in the same city that was needed. So did U-Haul. (So far so good).

-When I looked at the U-Haul trucks, they were A lot older than the Penske trucks. U-Haul also did not have a large enough truck for me at the time. Penske didn't either, but they had one driven from a close city the next day (U-Haul couldn't do that.)

-I rented the largest Penske truck that they have, and it worked great for a large household move. (I am also 5'2" and had no problem getting up and down the ramp).

-U-Haul prices were significantly higher than the Penske trucks, and they were NOT flexible at all. Penske made SURE they got my business. (AAA discount really helps too.)

OH and they let us have the truck for FIVE Days which was way longer than needed. The truck was pretty much brand new and made for a smooth ride, no glitches.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:46 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Old thread, but I'm always willing to give an opinion when U-Haul is mentioned anywhere. U-HAUL SUCKS DONKEY -----!!!!

There! Now I feel better for having contributed to this thread and hopefully saved at least one person a serious nightmare.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:36 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
I would imagine service and billing pretty much depends on the local franchise owner or whoever has the contract in your area. For me personally, I would always go with the cheapest one available at the time I needed it.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:25 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I would imagine service and billing pretty much depends on the local franchise owner or whoever has the contract in your area. For me personally, I would always go with the cheapest one available at the time I needed it.

I think you would revisit your criteria if your "cheap" option happen to be the less reliable one and it broke down on you at a bad time, say, moving across county miles from the nearest town. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:33 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,505 times
When I was pricing rental trucks, I found Penske was the cheapest for long distance moves. I've not used Penske, but I have used U-Haul for local moves and that is about as far as I trust them.

I found it was way, way cheaper for my move to just use a ABF/UPack ReloCube with local U-Hauls, if even necessary.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,847 times
Uhaul has newest fleet yet...not that you can most of the time walk in and get trucks, yes uhaul does keep the older trucks for local moves, why retire a well maintained truck. BEst thing:Uhaul Will beat/match anybody's price. Moving is uhaul tradition.....fan

Old 05-12-2012, 06:35 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,630 times
So Joe331 which uhaul location do you work at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues