Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 08:45 PM

13 posts, read 51,811 times

Advertisements

My moving company said they don't allow liquids, but hinted that they don't check in the boxes and to make sure everything is sealed. Obviously I won't pack any dangerous liquids like gasoline or something crazy, but I have a TON of expensive face creams, perfumes, hair products, tanning lotions etc that I plan to bring. When I moved the first time, I brought 3 large suitcases with me full of all the liquid items and just checked them for my flight (the TSA must have me on a suspicious list somewhere now ).. but it was a huge hassle and I'd really like to not have to fly with 3 extra suitcases on top of my clothing and necessary items. (I'm flying to my destination, the truck will be following). The easiest option is obviously just to tape up all the containers (like I did for the plane), bubblewrap everything, and box them for the truck. Does anyone know how well these items will fare? I leave lotions etc in my car all the time so I'm not worried about a week in a hot truck, but I guess I'm just wondering what could explode and be dangerous and what won't. Like would perfume be okay, but not laundry detergent? I have liquid Tide and liquid carpet cleaner (mild Bissell brand, it's just soap really), would those be ok since they're just detergents (in sealable containers) and not heavy duty chemicals? Also, I read you can't pack batteries but I definitely had some batteries on my last moving truck by accident (in tv remotes etc) and they were all fine. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,671,375 times
Sounds like you should be fine, with the tape and bubble wrap. That's more than I've ever done. You could also use large ziplock bags, then use rubbermaid plastic bins instead of cardboard boxes, if you wanted to be really really cautious.

Different moving companies have different policies. The main thing I've encountered is that moving companies won't move aerosols, chemicals (like RoundUp, drain cleaner, etc) and sometimes open bottles of alcohol. But I've never had a moving company say they wouldn't take health and beauty items like you mentioned.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 PM

563 posts, read 1,269,912 times
I kept all my beer in a box and covered with a blanket in the car I was towing behind my truck. Didn't lose a single one.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:59 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
One of the problems with transporting liquids with which truckers are familiar is the possibility of the weight in a half-empty container shifting when the vehicle rounds a sharp curve at speed. Obviously this isn't going to be a problem here. (One place I have heard of it cropping up, however, is the concept of a waterbed in the back of a van. )

Same thing can be applied to bartteries, which are classified as hazardous material when shipped in bulk, but note likely to raise concern when dispersed in battery-powered devices, shipped as "household goods".

But having pointed out those two examples. it should be recognized that compressed gas, flammable or otherwise, poses a severe danger in a confined space -- such as a tunnel; that would be viewed as a potentially-dangerous cargo,and the raionale behind the warnings on some highway signs.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:36 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Just be aware that if something does get ruined or whatever, there's not going to be any coverage under the insurance no matter what they told (wink wink) you.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:51 AM

84 posts, read 215,981 times
Our family thinking of moving too. How about liquid like Arrowhead water bottles and Pepsi Soda Cans? Cannot be on moving truck?
Also, ourfamily none can drive, no driver liscense.
It is possible to goes along in the same truck of the moving companies? We don't feel comfortable to let them drive all our stuff without us being there.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:43 PM

13 posts, read 51,811 times
Thanks everyone. Yea, I'm not worried about damage to be honest.. The way I pack and seal stuff there's pretty much no chance anything will get ruined (I'm talking double taped, bubbled wrapped, sealed in plastic bags, inside a box inside a plastic container haha it's ridiculous kind of). I'm just gonna do that, because the amount of time and energy getting everything through the airport just isn't worth it (and especially with the whole Boston bomb thing, I'm not about to start going through airport security with 3 suitcases full of liquid only items!!!) I'm gonna pack the personal stuff and maybe some of the mild laundry detergents then leave the sketchy things like toilet cleaner/other potentially combustable chemicals behind.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:13 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
If you could check a liquor store for empty boxes look for some that have the thin cardboard dividers that separates the bottles from each other. Those work good with moving bottles. Just about anything will work, like others say, if they are secured in the truck or trailer

Old 04-24-2013, 02:48 AM

2 posts, read 12,510 times
Well, wrapping would not allow detergent to spill. But ensure that the cap of the liquid detergent bottle is properly closed otherwise it can spill and can destroy other things. Moreover, it will get wasted.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:03 PM

18 posts, read 126,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danikak View Post
My moving company said they don't allow liquids, but hinted that they don't check in the boxes and to make sure everything is sealed. Obviously I won't pack any dangerous liquids like gasoline or something crazy, but I have a TON of expensive face creams, perfumes, hair products, tanning lotions etc that I plan to bring. When I moved the first time, I brought 3 large suitcases with me full of all the liquid items and just checked them for my flight (the TSA must have me on a suspicious list somewhere now ).. but it was a huge hassle and I'd really like to not have to fly with 3 extra suitcases on top of my clothing and necessary items. (I'm flying to my destination, the truck will be following). The easiest option is obviously just to tape up all the containers (like I did for the plane), bubblewrap everything, and box them for the truck. Does anyone know how well these items will fare? I leave lotions etc in my car all the time so I'm not worried about a week in a hot truck, but I guess I'm just wondering what could explode and be dangerous and what won't. Like would perfume be okay, but not laundry detergent? I have liquid Tide and liquid carpet cleaner (mild Bissell brand, it's just soap really), would those be ok since they're just detergents (in sealable containers) and not heavy duty chemicals? Also, I read you can't pack batteries but I definitely had some batteries on my last moving truck by accident (in tv remotes etc) and they were all fine. Help!

Always think safety first, MOST ALL Moving companies do not want anything Liquid, Flamable or Chemical in the move.

Liuids can and do leak ( check the new stock at any grocery store ) Flamables, well kind of self explanatory, Chemical, well if there were to be a fire in the van, a mixure of chemicals can make it real dangerious.

SO be safe, NOTHING Liquid, Nothing Flamable and Nothing Chemical.

Safety first, saving $50.00 takes a back seat to keeping safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues