Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 07:08 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times

Advertisements

Here's some letters that can be misunderstood or misreported when you're looking for someone you know "should" be there. Many of you will be familiar with these. Anyway, I hope these may help.

Similar sounding letters:
A clerk or enumerator might misunderstand a spoken name. Like my Perrin family can be reported as Berrin or even Baron.

B=P or P=B (all of these can be interchanged, btw).

V=F

T=D

S=Z

J=Y, some Germanic names start out with a J pronounced like Y, then get changed.

Spelling:
The joys of deciphering penmanship!

F=PH

L=S - in old handwriting, as many of you already know, the small 's' looks like an 'l' compared to modern handwriting

M=N

V=W

I=J

N=V
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 09:26 PM

993 posts, read 2,292,236 times
Even uppercase L may be mistaken for an S. I've had family with last name Large indexed as Sarge. I've also had someone with the last name Ilg, indexed as Sly. The I did look like an S, and the top the the G was not closed, so it looked like a y. This is a good topic, I'm sure many names have been missed due to letters beng misreported.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:07 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
In reading 19th century Canadian records I have found that the capital letters "S" and "I" are often very difficult to tell apart in some styles of penmanship.

I have also found - very frequently - that transcribers for Ancestry.com confuse small letters "u" and "n"; thus coming up with some of the most bizarre names I have ever seen.

And the confusion of small "n" with "r" seems common as well; thus, Moon becomes Moore when the imagination of the transcriber decides the end stroke of their "r" has to be an "e."

I sometimes wish for more commonsense and less creativity in transcribing.
When the head of a family is surnamed Moore, or worse Moou, and the next three members of the household are Moon - where is the warning light that should say, "Stop. Look again!"

Old 12-23-2009, 01:54 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
...I sometimes wish for more commonsense and less creativity in transcribing.

When the head of a family is surnamed Moore, or worse Moou, and the next three members of the household are Moon - where is the warning light that should say, "Stop. Look again!"
Truly! Where's the common sense?

--
Verbal misunderstandings can apply to first names too. I have a male ancestor named Madison (before it became a girl's name ) who was sometimes reported as Mathew because he went by Mad, though that does sound kind of funny to me. Mad and Matt are not very different in sound so it's easy to see how the census taker got the name wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy