Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 11:17 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
It looks like you can enter multiple kits under one account on My Heritage versus creating a new account for each kit. What are the pros and cons for doing one over the other? TO be more specific I have my DNA already uploaded under my account and want to also add my daughters before December. Would it be better to just do it under my account or create a new account for her. She is not interested in any of this so it will be just me using it.

I saw this when I searched....so I'm not sure what they mean by you won't get matches between the two DNA files if you upload to one account.

If I have more than one member profile should I upload my raw DNA test results to each of them?

If you have more than one member profile on MyHeritage and you have uploaded raw DNA test results for the same DNA kit or different kits to both of them, you will get DNA matches between these two member profiles.

If you have uploaded raw DNA test results for two different DNA kits to the same MyHeritage profile, you won’t get DNA Matches between these two DNA files.
Honestly I would upload to yours then make an account for her with her email addy and upload to that too before they start charging in case she decides she wants to eventually be interested in it. She'd have to confirm the account you make

I have Ancestry DNA and a My heritage kit that I won for the founders project. It snows as 2 uploads attached to my profile but I've never checked to see if the matches are different
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 12:42 PM

bump for anyone that needs it

Old 11-02-2018, 01:48 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
bump for anyone that needs it
Will be giving it a try this weekend. Very nice of you to let people here know. I'll be curious to see how close it matches what AncestryDNA showed for my breakdown. When I told my mother the results she was as surprised as I was. Expected my German & English to be fairly even. Not even close, it was 78% English and NW Europe, most of which would be English in my case.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Will be giving it a try this weekend. Very nice of you to let people here know. I'll be curious to see how close it matches what AncestryDNA showed for my breakdown. When I told my mother the results she was as surprised as I was. Expected my German & English to be fairly even. Not even close, it was 78% English and NW Europe, most of which would be English in my case.
Hopefully your ethnicity will be close, mine are, so e aren't. They're a newish company so it may take some time to really build up their ethnicity database.

My hope is a lot of people will take advantage of the free upload which should help them get !ore accurate in the long run.

You can't beat free. Even better are all of the tools they have.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:37 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Uploaded for free to MyHeritage. Absolutely insane results. Ancestry is much more accurate and I have the background and history documented to prove they (MH) are wrong.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:25 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Unfortunately, inaccurate results for me as well with My Heritage.

AncestryDNA
---------------------
England, Wales & NW Europe - 78%
Germanic Europe - 12%
Norway - 4%
Sweden - 3%
Ireland & Scotland - 3%

My Heritage
------------------
English - 74.5%
Scandinavian - 22.3%
Greek - 3.2%

No Greek in my family tree, and there is some French. They must not have enough samples to give accurate results. Would have been disappointed if I had paid to get these results from My Heritage.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:59 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Bumping again since it's closer to the end of the month.

Will note again that if you are looking into doing some chromosome mapping or seeing triangulated matches, MyHeritage is very useful for this. I personally don't pay attention at all to their ethnic portion - the triangulation features and chromosome location mapping are all I use it for and Ancestry does not offer that sort of service (really wish they did).

Old 11-18-2018, 08:10 PM

Even GEDmatch charges $10 a month for that

Old 11-24-2018, 04:57 AM

One week left to upload to My Heritage

Old 11-24-2018, 10:02 AM

I just read their blog. They're still going to allow free uploads after Dec 1st with free family matching but they're going to do like FTDNA is doing and charge to unlock ethnicity and chromosome browser. I'm not sure what they're doing with showing matches family trees and surnames. Of course I had just sent them an email because I was getting worried I won't be able to upload my uncle's who's will finally reach ancestry on Monday after being in Hungary since August! I also asked if they're interested in his DNA for the founders project since they used me.

New: MyHeritage supports 23andMe v5 and Living DNA uploads - by Esther · September 12, 2018 · MyHeritage News

Quote:
Upcoming changes
As of December 1, 2018, our policy regarding DNA uploads will change: DNA Matching will remain free for uploaded DNA data, but unlocking additional DNA features (for example, ethnicity estimate, chromosome browser, and some others) will require an extra payment for DNA files uploaded after this date. We will announce the full details of the new policy once it is finalized, closer to December 1st. All DNA data that was uploaded to MyHeritage in the past, and all DNA data that is uploaded now and prior to December 1, 2018, will continue to enjoy full access to all DNA features for free. These uploads will be grandfathered in and will remain free.

So, don’t delay, and upload your DNA data to MyHeritage now, while all the DNA features are free (and they will remain free for you). If you have tested with 23andMe (any versions including v5) or Living DNA, you’re in luck, and you can now upload this data to MyHeritage too. You can also upload DNA data from Ancestry and Family Tree DNA’s Family Finder test. Instructions for exporting your data and uploading it to MyHeritage are provided on our upload page.
Also DNA Matches
DNA Matches are other users on MyHeritage from around the world who are likely to be your relatives based on shared DNA. MyHeritage has a very strong user base in Europe, so you are likely to get more DNA Matches from Europe than on any other DNA service. This is extremely useful if you have ancestors from Europe.

Last edited by Roselvr; 11-24-2018 at 10:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy