Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 06:19 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times

Advertisements

Family Tree DNA is now allowing people that have taken an AncestryDNA™ or 23andMe© (V3) test to transfer their raw data to the Family Finder database for free:

https://www.familytreedna.com/Autoso...m_medium=email
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 05:10 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Family Tree DNA is now allowing people that have taken an AncestryDNA™ or 23andMe© (V3) test to transfer their raw data to the Family Finder database for free:

https://www.familytreedna.com/Autoso...m_medium=email
Well, that was quick and easy. Now I just wait an hour for them to send me the results. Thanks!

Old 10-28-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, that was quick and easy. Now I just wait an hour for them to send me the results. Thanks!
You're welcome!

I had already done mine ($69 ). DH is next. I should do it soon, before the news gets out and they get jammed up.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
OK I just did it and got the list.
Can someone please explain to me how this helps find ancestors? The names are totally unfamiliar and I do not see any value in this exercise at all. So what if they have my genes? What does that mean and why should I care????

Old 10-29-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Can someone please explain to me how this helps find ancestors? The names are totally unfamiliar and I do not see any value in this exercise at all. So what if they have my genes? What does that mean and why should I care????
You can compare family trees. Just like with 23AndMe. The difference is that just about everyone at Family Tree DNA is interested in genealogy.

Family Finder - ISOGG Wiki

Old 10-30-2014, 09:33 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Most of your DNA matches will be with a shared ancestor from many generations ago, so far back in some cases that one or both of you may not have that ancestor in your family tree (yet), making them something like your 5th or 6th cousins. Naturally, you will not recognize their names. Through the descent of women, you are related to thousands of people who have names not found in your own tree.

You may never be able to figure out how you are related to the vast majority of your DNA matches and it takes time and effort to figure out how you are or might be related to some of them. Look at the names in their tree, not just their own name - if they don't have a tree, contact them and ask if they have one online anywhere else. Make sure you have a tree of your own on there. Look at the locations of people in their tree - even if you can't find a name or surname that matches someone in your tree, if for example someone's ancestry is entirely in the south of the US and you have only one branch from the south, your shared ancestry might be from that branch.

Research down other lines in your tree. Find and put the siblings of your ancestors into your tree, as well as their children, and their children... as far down as possible. This makes it more likely to establish a link between you and a DNA match who may not have researched as far back as your shared ancestor. But if you have their 3rd great grandfather in your tree as a distant cousin, you can easily see how you are related, and help that person with their research. Or vice versa.

Also try researching individuals from the tree of your DNA match - if you have reason to believe someone from their tree might be related to someone from your tree, try researching their individual instead of your own. It might lead you back to your branch.

Always contact your DNA matches - they won't always respond but collaboration is key here so focus on the ones who are receptive.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:32 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,978 times
Please help me out. Thank you very much.

https://www.familytreedna.com/autoso...20WknpHw%3d%3d

Old 10-30-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Please help me out.
How?

Old 10-31-2014, 03:16 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How?
By clicking the link that I added and uploading your 23andMe or Ancestry DNA file.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
By clicking the link that I added and uploading your 23andMe or Ancestry DNA file.

Oh, you want to get the referrals! Sorry, I did mine already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy