Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:58 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times

Advertisements

I recently tried online ordering, and it didn't work. Has anyone else had better luck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 06:14 PM

738 posts, read 999,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I recently tried online ordering, and it didn't work. Has anyone else had better luck?
Ha!...It's been so long since I've ordered a hard copy, I didn't even know you could order online...lol! I just went to the FOIA website and I do see that the requirements have changed somewhat so could the failure been due to the age requirement? I mean...120 years......seriously?!?!

RVcook

Old 01-06-2014, 06:18 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Ha!...It's been so long since I've ordered a hard copy, I didn't even know you could order online...lol! I just went to the FOIA website and I do see that the requirements have changed somewhat so could the failure been due to the age requirement? I mean...120 years......seriously?!?!

RVcook
Below is the link to the Social Security Administration web page that wouldn't work within the last 30 days. It went to some weird, "user not allowed on this page" message when trying to pay, or it kept timing out when in constant use.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps9/eFOIA-F...ernet/main.jsp

Old 01-06-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Below is the link to the Social Security Administration web page that wouldn't work within the last 30 days. It went to some weird, "user not allowed on this page" message when trying to pay, or it kept timing out when in constant use.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps9/eFOIA-F...ernet/main.jsp
Well that's just strange...but not entirely unexpected from the Feds and most probably exists on their end.

You could probably use their 'Contact Us' hyperlink at the top right of that page and see what they say, but snail-mail may be faster...

RVcook

Old 01-06-2014, 06:30 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Well that's just strange...but not entirely unexpected from the Feds and most probably exists on their end.

You could probably use their 'Contact Us' hyperlink at the top right of that page and see what they say, but snail-mail may be faster...

RVcook
I didn't want to say. In the past NARA website purchases have worked A-OK.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I didn't want to say. In the past NARA website purchases have worked A-OK.
Agreed .

I've actually had the most success with the Dept. of Homeland Security and immigration files. They are prompt and very adept at finding what I've requested.

Still think this one is strange though. Why put up a website that won't let you execute your order? Just strange...

RVcook

Old 01-07-2014, 09:53 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,225 times
Tried using the soc sec website and first it kept stating the security was poor,then whe.n I finally got on,it timed me out for non-use,although I was using it right along.Frustrating

Old 01-09-2014, 09:31 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,697 times
I've always sent my Social Security application requests via snail mail...and it generally takes several months to get a reply (I sent the last set of requests in June 2013 and received a letter in October telling me they would be delayed because of the shut down and received the actual copies in December).

Some of them have been "useless" - either no information or the same info that I already have. Others have been extremely valuable...these records are actually filled out by that person, not, like a death certificate, by a third party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy