Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 02:45 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
What were your specific percentages if you don't mind me asking? I signed up for the free 23andme offer, but didn't do the test. I will try to do it next time they have it for free.
They couldn't figure out how much each African geographic subgroup was, but African in total was 72%; Ashkenazic (Russian, Polish, Romanian Jewish) 8%, East Asian 5% (Han but no Native American), Southern European (Italian, Southern French and Spanish) 10%, Northern European (British Isles, German) 5%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 02:48 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I don't understand what's sad about people thinking Hispanic is a race. Seems to me if an astronomical number of people appear different from others they may as well be a race.
Problem is, there are all conceivalble physical types that can be Hispanic. In South America alone there are pure Africans (Colombia), pure Asians (Peru), pure Natives (Brazil, Venezuela) and pure Europeans (Argentina, Uruguay, Chile). And then you have millions of people who are mixed with all of these. How can they all be one race?

Quote:
Yes, I know they aren't, but, they may as well be. My next-door neighbors are from Mexico. They are all short in stature, with dark skin. Perhaps they consider themselves white, but, I doubt it.
They probably consider themselves mestizo or Native American.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:21 PM

830 posts, read 1,537,366 times
Didn't read through all the responses...

But you're talking about EEO forms. I guess if you have to ask... you probably can't honestly check "Hispanic." Why would you want to if you haven't felt Hispanic? Affirmative Action benefits? If you don't feel culturally one "race" then you should not self-identify in that way. Affirmative Action benefits (admission, financial aid, job preference, etc.) are intended to address past oppression. Based on known ancestors including my first-generation American grandmother (with a very VERY common hispanic last name), I should be at least 25% "Hispanic." But I have always felt English and Irish. I can claim anything I want for statistical purposes, but if it were for anything which might benefit me, I really would not feel comfortable calling myself Hispanic.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:23 PM

830 posts, read 1,537,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deargen View Post
OP, you are whoever you think you are.
Just like Elizabeth Warren.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:07 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
If race is a social construct as it's said by the mainstream media, then how come a person's racial makeup can be identified via DNA?
Why doesn't it tell him if he's hispanic?

Old 10-04-2013, 09:36 AM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
Didn't read through all the responses...

But you're talking about EEO forms. I guess if you have to ask... you probably can't honestly check "Hispanic." Why would you want to if you haven't felt Hispanic? Affirmative Action benefits? If you don't feel culturally one "race" then you should not self-identify in that way. Affirmative Action benefits (admission, financial aid, job preference, etc.) are intended to address past oppression. Based on known ancestors including my first-generation American grandmother (with a very VERY common hispanic last name), I should be at least 25% "Hispanic." But I have always felt English and Irish. I can claim anything I want for statistical purposes, but if it were for anything which might benefit me, I really would not feel comfortable calling myself Hispanic.
Same feeling here, other than the fact I'm mixed with a lot more than English or Irish or Mexican. My grandmother is Mexican and I would feel like I was trying to sham someone if I self identified as Hispanic. If I have to self identify I accurately say Scottish/English/Mexican/French/etc which would be exactly what I am, not Hispanic which is some giant catch all.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:03 PM

138 posts, read 328,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
Short answer, if you have significant near ancestry that hails from a spanish speaking culture you are hispanic. In the spanish patrilineal tradition, so are your kids. What you look like is immaterial.
Having spanish blood doesn't make you Hispanic. There are a lot of pure blood Natives in Mexico who are "Hispanics" here in the U.S, also, Mexican Mestizos are of majority Native blood. Being from a country that has a majority of Spanish speaking people is what makes you Hispanic. The U.S. has a really stupid census taking method. In fact, in the 40's Mexicans were considered white, even though at the time 30% of the population was pure indigenous, 60% Mestizo, 9% white, and 1% Afro-Mexican.

So, as you can see, Hispanic is a blanket term that essentially tries to tie everyone who came from a spanish speaking country together. It's both inaccurate and stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy